Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

The one thing the plaza should add (speaking as a former resident of the neighborhood) is a pharmacy.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really hope a True Food Kitchen goes into that space, its a really growing concept by a restaurant group out of Phoenix, they have been expanding into upscale locations just like the plaza, I think it would be a great fit.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I lament the loss of Houston's. It is not only a longtime tenant, but it was/is good. It's not just another chain, like Brio or Coldstone Creamery or Cheesecake Factory. Heck, even Bon Appetit recently did a piece lauding Hillstone. It was really kind of a great, time-capsule restaurant unburdened by trend. I would sooner dine at Houston's than most "independent" restaurants on the Plaza.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I think the Plaza's eateries have become less compelling overall. I use to love the array of local restaurants there (back in the days of Starkers and Bristol) and the other GR concepts) but I guess the current line-up doesn't appeal to my tastes all that much. I almost never went to Houston's so won't miss it. Chuey's is mediocre texmex and I didn't consider it one of the better Mexican places when I lived in Texas - it's too bad a couple of the other Texas based chains didn't make an appearance in KC. Tuscan Brio is way overpriced and Plaza III desperately needs to be modernized. Fogo de Chao appeals to a lot of people but its not my thing nor is Bucca di Beppo. Seasons 52 was good once, I did not like it on a repeat visit. I do like Gram and Dunn, Dublins, Eden Alley and Zocalos and some of the burger places. Surprised, however, that they couldn't reach an agreement with so much of the Plaza vacant. The old Halls department store isn't fully leased and the California Pizza Kitchen site is empty.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Bristol is a small chain under several banners. It can be hard to tell what's actually local because some companies don't use the same name everywhere.

The "Iron Horse" hotel coming downtown is an example of this.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

At least initially, Bristol's was a KC restaurant. The Plaza was once the test market for GR concepts (Bristols - I think that is how Bristols started, Houlihans, Fredd P Otts, Fedoras, and others) but there were a fair amount of non GR restaurants there that were pretty good too (Starkers comes to mind). I think that was the heyday of the Plaza as a restaurant hub. There was very little competition in the city at that time. Downtown was down, the Crossroads non existent, Johnson County didn't have liquor by the drink and hence a crappy collection of restaurants. The combination of GR becoming a non entity and Highwoods propensity to bring in chains pushed the Plaza to where it is now. I am hoping the new ownership group will upscale the plaza once again and make it less of a teen clothing center with a few overpriced restaurant chains.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KCPowercat wrote:The one thing the plaza should add (speaking as a former resident of the neighborhood) is a pharmacy.
The Plaza doesn't need a freaking pharmacy. There's a CVS at 51st and Main.

What on earth.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:So Houstons has been there a long time and has a "following", that still doesn't change the fact that it is a chain with completely mediocre food. I think their clientele is getting elderly and probably doesn't go out as often any more.

Let's wait until we see what takes it's place before we start overreacting. Sure it could be something worse, but I will still go there at least as often as I have gone to Houstons in the past 15 years (which is never).
people in general are eating out less
Last edited by nomadcowatbk on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

LCDSI wrote:With the new ownership, the plaza should be moving towards a more higher end shopping center.

Both companies have extensive experience in the retail industry and they have an impressive portfolio of existing malls. Let's see if they can make the transition without compromising the local mix of shops.
they seem to be taking anyone who will be the rent, Russell Stover hasn't done much to change the former American Eagle next to Houston's, they'd probably take Dollar General if they wanted to the high priced rent
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

KCPowercat wrote:The one thing the plaza should add (speaking as a former resident of the neighborhood) is a pharmacy.
is there any room for a Walgreens or CVS?
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

Highlander wrote: I am hoping the new ownership group will upscale the plaza once again and make it less of a teen clothing center with a few overpriced restaurant chains.
teens actually don't really spend much on clothes nowadays, they spent the $$$ on iphones, and I would think they'd want to keep those places away to keep away the flash mobs
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

drain the swamp, make the Plaza great again Trump
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MidtownCat wrote:

What on earth.
The Plaza absolutely 100% needs an urban pharmacy or market that carries most of those products. It's an essential store for any high volume pedestrian area. The Plaza area needs one closer in and the 51s/Main should be moved near Brookside shops. Hotel visitors, surrounding residents would use it most - within walking distance - but so would many visitors. First thing I often do after checking into hotel is hit nearest pharmacy or market, preferring to walk to one in urban areas where I tend not to have a car.

An urban pharmacy could go into the open spot next to Changs, it's a larger space than many urban pharmacies I've seen. But my ideal is to get rid of Plaza tennis courts and make into a transit center and move nearest Walgreens or CVS to that location (smaller urban sized store), also with outdoor courtyard plaza/fountains with small counter eats and tons of outdoor seating.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MidtownCat wrote:

What on earth.
It needs a pharmacy much more than it needs Houstons.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

KCPowercat wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:

What on earth.
or Foot Locker :D
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KCPowercat wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:

What on earth.
Worlds largest pharmacy in the former boarded up Halls location?

While we're throwing out brilliant ideas to restore the Plaza as a premier retail and dining district, the Plaza also needs an Orange Julius and seasonal tax location with those guys dressed up like the statue of liberty. Come to think of it, the Plaza also needs a Little Caesers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

When I lived down there I treated the plaza as my neighborhood, not only a touristy frou frou location. Basic services were helpful that I and tourist could easily walk to and use....maybe you don't use the neighborhood in that manner.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

At one time, there was a Bruce Smith drug store on the Plaza.

I believe it was on the corner that recently housed Armani Exchange.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yes, the rent went up too much for them to handle after Plaza was acquired by Highwoods in mid 90s. A national chain could handle the rent, especially on outskirts of Plaza like the open space next to Changs.

Urban CVS/Walgreens are different. They are smaller stores but they stack the products on higher shelves and make the most out of smaller space.

The Plaza badly needs an urban pharmacy or market with similar goods.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

This thread has become so oddly specific that we're advocating for an Orange Julius?

Perhaps its the single dude in me, but the Plaza hosting a B&H-type store - it would work perfect in the old Halls space but I think Nike's got that space - somewhere on the Plaza would be a nice draw.

As a Plaza resident, I use the CVS at 51 and Main for prescriptions, but could see the value of an urban location more directly on the Plaza.

Suburban folks are becoming increasingly less likely to come to the Plaza, and that's there loss. But at the same time, that means the Plaza needs to focus on the amenities needed to support one of KC's truly walk-able neighborhoods.