Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kboish »

No organized opposition. No incentives. Looks good!
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

does anyone know what's going on with the plaza 211 building? it doesn't seem like there's been much movement in leasing the rest of it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Quite a bit of talk going around with yesterday's announcement that Houston's will be closing at the end of March. Anyone know if this is a scare tactic to get their longstanding updates fixed or if they have another location scoped out?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:Quite a bit of talk going around with yesterday's announcement that Houston's will be closing at the end of March. Anyone know if this is a scare tactic to get their longstanding updates fixed or if they have another location scoped out?
the Star article covered both questions, sounds like the restaurant has committed to closing.

1. they didn't want to renew their lease without certain work being done
2. no, they don't have any location identified

I would bet the space will be partitioned and rents raised more than Houstons was willing to pay to get what they wanted. pretty standard for a lease.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The Plaza R.I.P

Truly sad to see what this once great Kansas City institution has become.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

MidtownCat wrote:The Plaza R.I.P

Because a chain restaurant is closing? I can't believe the level of dismay I am seeing about this. I'm glad it is closing. Maybe something will open in its place that is actually worth going to.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was sadder when Houlihan's left just because that was the original...losing a chain likes Houston's is nothing.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:The Plaza R.I.P

Because a chain restaurant is closing? I can't believe the level of dismay I am seeing about this. I'm glad it is closing. Maybe something will open in its place that is actually worth going to.

As a long time Plaza resident, Houston's was far more than another chain. It had one of the most loyal followings and was one of the longest standing institutions in the district, having anchored that corner of The Plaza for over 30 years. But, go ahead and show your total niavety by painting this as a TGI Friday's moving out.

The sad part is not just Houston's. The Plaza's death as Kansas City's premier district has occurred over a long period of time from losing Saks 5th Avenue and then Halls, downgrading Mark Shale to a terrible Forevor 21, adding mediocre crap like H&M. The list goes on and on. It's a complete shell of its former self. But again, feel free to continue to bury your heads in the sand and dismiss this again as "nothing".
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

I agree Houston's that was more than a chain. It was one of the premier Plaza restaurants for decades and a Plaza staple.
You could go on most weekends when a sports event was in town and see network sports announcers, players and other famous people.
My experience is that Houston's started going downhill over the last five years.
For over a decade I ate there every single weekend with family and in the last few years the place just didn't seem to be the same. Prices rose constantly, service became almost unbearable at times and the experience became inconsistent when consistency was their hallmark.
I haven't even thought of the place in almost 2 years until this story broke.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Bring back the gas stations!
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Bring in another empty storefront that can sit vacant for 5 years!
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Oh, speaking of store fronts, I have to give Sprint credit. They filled the vacated/old Apple Store space and placed all their Apple/iPhone branded marketing right inside the windows. If you werent paying attention you'd think you were walking into the Apple store. Cracked me up.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The Plaza could take some cues from Metcalf South and bring in a Cinnabon. Why not at this stage.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

MidtownCat wrote:The Plaza could take some cues from Metcalf South and bring in a Cinnabon. Why not at this stage.
The plaza does need more food places that aren't sit down restaurants. Not saying it has to be a chain but 2-3 decent fast casual restaurants would do well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I think they sell sarcasm detectors on eBay. budump hihat. (was looking for first excuse to use that line)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:^I think they sell sarcasm detectors on eBay. budump hihat. (was looking for first excuse to use that line)
Text does not and never will convey sarcasm.

Besides, that's not a horrible shop for the plaza. There's a popcorn store so why not?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

So Houstons has been there a long time and has a "following", that still doesn't change the fact that it is a chain with completely mediocre food. I think their clientele is getting elderly and probably doesn't go out as often any more.

Let's wait until we see what takes it's place before we start overreacting. Sure it could be something worse, but I will still go there at least as often as I have gone to Houstons in the past 15 years (which is never).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Addressing various points here -

Plaza has reasonable fast casual in Zoe's Kitchen, T.Loft, and Noodles and Co. Chipotle and Mixx are up the hill at library (still Plaza to me as a resident - will walk there).

Houston's closing is depressing. Much more than "just another chain", it was one of my favorite spots on the Plaza, consistently very good. Will miss the Thai Steak Salad and Pork Chop. A friend of mine in the biz states that it was Hillstone's lowest grossing Houston's location.

I think the mix of retail tenants as stands is decent but could use a push towards the higher end. I love that there is a legit toy store (Zoom), and a nice mix of functional mid-to-upscale mall tenants and more unique stuff like HMK, Baldwin, Moosejaw, etc. Wish there was a Nordstrom or similar but so it goes in this retail environment. Looking forward to what else comes along in Plaza 211 - Apple looks great.

Additionally would love to see another few local small bars or nightlife. Something like Ca Va would be wonderful.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

With the new ownership, the plaza should be moving towards a more higher end shopping center.

Both companies have extensive experience in the retail industry and they have an impressive portfolio of existing malls. Let's see if they can make the transition without compromising the local mix of shops.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The new owner owns a couple high end shopping districts but for the most part looks to be pretty generic mall shops/stores last time I looked. Will be interesting to see what they can pull off and if they even try to go higher end. They may only care about getting leases filled whoever is willing to pay, not specifically target a plan for high end or unique shops to KC area.