Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: mlb, and nfl, are the only leagues that have rolling roofs
kcdcchef wrote: so, houston, twice no less, seattle, and a whole mess of other cities, only built umbrellas on their stadiums?? they might like to hear that.
so much for your uniqueness arguement.  :roll:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Smartass.  Are these big Carrier units going to be strapped to the top of this thing, or are you going to be waving a paper fan across the crowd?
i figured you would like that.

from what i read on this subject, there is technology they use, much like they use in indoor arenas when they are packed to the hilt in hot weather, where, they bring in air conditioning units specifically for that event, set them up in clusters outside the stadium, and have them running in cooler air into the stadium for the even. little used technology, but still useful for indoor events when it is nasty outside.

i would say the chances of it being that hot are slim, but hell, look at this january.
Burton wrote: so much for your uniqueness arguement.  :roll:
i do not understand your point at all.......................but who ever does.

ummm, how are those cities like us? they have rolling roofs, but do not share them. that is unique, and you know it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: i do not understand your point at all.......................but who ever does.

ummm, how are those cities like us? they have rolling roofs, but do not share them. that is unique, and you know it.
there's probably a reason that cities that share sports complexes, like baltimore and philly don't do it, it's doesn't serve a feasible purpose to both stadiums.

and what good does the rolling roof do for the royals? watch the animations. the whole outfield area is still open, meaning a climate controlled environment is out of the question, and rain can still get in. why do you think the domes in houston, seattle, milwaukee, and pheonix have giant glass panels that close with the roof above?

a retractable roof for arrowhead only, that i agree with, but the rolling roof thing seems a little stupid considering it wouldnt serve the royals much good.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote: there's probably a reason that cities that share sports complexes, like baltimore and philly don't do it, it's doesn't serve a feasible purpose to both stadiums.

and what good does the rolling roof do for the royals? watch the animations. the whole outfield area is still open, meaning a climate controlled environment is out of the question, and rain can still get in. why do you think the domes in houston, seattle, milwaukee, and pheonix have giant glass panels that close with the roof above?

a retractable roof for arrowhead only, that i agree with, but the rolling roof thing seems a little stupid considering it wouldnt serve the royals much good.
the royals are not fighting for the rolling roof. as a matter of fact, they could not give a fuck if it passes or not. the royals have never made one push for the rolling roof, that is the hunt braintrust, trying to get us a super bowl. the royals, have agreed to join the tsc as a whole to get a rolling roof, because it would make rainouts obsolete.

the only climate controlled events at the tsc will be the ones we know about in advance, super bowl, final fours, and concerts. nothing else gets climate controlled. now, they would use kauffman for some events for the super bowl just like other cities do, but mainly suites, stadium club, press box, stuff like that.

so, yes, it serves a feasible purpose on both. for kauffman, no rainouts ever again. for arrowhead, final four, superbowl, concerts, and talk of a major gop or dem convention someday
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: so, yes, it serves a feasible purpose on both. for kauffman, no rainouts ever again.
I'm not sure how you can say that when rain is blowing in from the north. Rain doesn't always fall straight down. Like I said, there's a reason that the other cities put giant glass windows on the sides of the roofs, something that the outfield of Kauffman won't have.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

They're not going to cancel a game because a few raindrops are getting onto the fans in left field.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote: I'm not sure how you can say that when rain is blowing in from the north. Rain doesn't always fall straight down. Like I said, there's a reason that the other cities put giant glass windows on the sides of the roofs, something that the outfield of Kauffman won't have.

because those stadiums were desingned for that purpose. they are not going to make a nice outdoor stadium indoor capable out of the fear of north rains. what they will do, is allow people from the new fountain seats, to move. on top of the fact, that the old g.a. is going bye bye, and are moving inwards, and upwards ( above the fountains ) so, those 4-5k fans that are out there, if they are even out there, get to move.
KCMax wrote: They're not going to cancel a game because a few raindrops are getting onto the fans in left field.
thank you.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

Seems like a lot of money and work to save the Royals and their 17,000 fan average from 2 or 3 rainouts a year.
And Dan Glass seems to agree...
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 187094.htm

Let me make this clear to you, A RETRACTABLE ROOF FOR ONLY ARROWHEAD IS FINE, and would cost less than 200 million,  but the whole reviving the rolling roof idea is just something to play to those "it would be really cool looking though" 1967 nostalgia hardons. The Royals have no use for this. And if the prospect of getting a political convention is one of the big lures to building this, sorry to burst your bubble, but those things aren't held in suburban domes, they're held in arenas with large amounts of convention space and hotels nearby, which is what we're about to have in downtown within the next few years. We could have a retractable roof for Arrowhead only for cheaper than 200 million, and still get your super bowls and final fours.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote: Seems like a lot of money and work to save the Royals and their 17,000 fan average from 2 or 3 rainouts a year.
And Dan Glass seems to agree...
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 187094.htm

Let me make this clear to you, A RETRACTABLE ROOF FOR ONLY ARROWHEAD IS FINE, and would cost less than 200 million,  but the whole reviving the rolling roof idea is just something to play to those "it would be really cool looking though" 1967 nostalgia hardons. The Royals have no use for this. And if the prospect of getting a political convention is the big lure to building this, sorry to burst your bubble, but those things aren't held in suburban domes, they're held in arenas with large amounts of convention space and hotels nearby, which is what we're about to have in downtown within the next few years.
the arena, yes, hotels, here is still hoping that will happen.

i agree, it is a lot of money for a few rainouts. however, here is reality. it is not going to double the cost of this to include kauffman, it is not. it will cost whatever it costs to extend the tracks that much farther. i am no engineer, however, you and i both know, that if they are building the roof for arrowhead, and puting in the tracks to do it, to build it to go that much farther to cover the kauffman fields and stands, is not going to cost that much more. and we all know it.

either way, i am not a big advocate of question 2 anyways, i think question 2 is a crap shoot, that we do not know or not if it will pass. question one, seems to be the part of the ballot with the momentum
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

MKB and others are smoking crack if they think this roof is going to bring more convention business to town.  How the hell would you transport 30,000+ people from downtown to the TSC?  These conventions go to cities that have their major facilities within walking distance of major hotels.  That is a hell of a lot of busses you are going to have rolling people down 70.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: MKB and others are smoking crack if they think this roof is going to bring more convention business to town.  How the hell would you transport 30,000+ people from downtown to the TSC?  These conventions go to cities that have their major facilities within walking distance of major hotels.  That is a hell of a lot of busses you are going to have rolling people down 70.
yeah, because god knows all cities that are big convention towns have every lodging space in walking distance. like say, chicago, where , mccormick place is within 10 feet of all the hotels downtown. yeah, bullshit. they are all the way past soldier field and the museums on lakeshore drive. walking distance if you are a marathon runner maybe.

or dc, where, the convention center sits in the middle of town, and over half of the hotel rooms are 2-3 miles away on capitol hill. walking distance though. yeah, i know, those towns have mass transit, but thousands of convention goers getting moved around, do not use the l or the metro, they get shuffled in busses, the same way kc would do it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If the roof passes, I guess the good thing is, you would hope that means that some sort of mass transit rail system would be next taking people from downtown to the TSC.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: If the roof passes, I guess the good thing is, you would hope that means that some sort of mass transit rail system would be next taking people from downtown to the TSC.
How soo...

Arrowhead already sells out every game, the crowds wont be much bigger, and we already dont have a mass transit rail system.

Anyone ever hear of this little worn path called I-70

Oh, and BTW, the plans are to have climate controlled capability by the superbowl, look up the vikings stadium...it would work much the same way...seeing how just plain air supports their roof...howda think they cool it and heat it...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

im2kull wrote: How soo...

Arrowhead already sells out every game, the crowds wont be much bigger, and we already dont have a mass transit rail system.

Anyone ever hear of this little worn path called I-70

Oh, and BTW, the plans are to have climate controlled capability by the superbowl, look up the vikings stadium...it would work much the same way...seeing how just plain air supports their roof...howda think they cool it and heat it...
well, if it passes, with downtown becoming successful, you would have to address mass transit, because, with downtown coming back to life, and this happening, the last factor to be addressed is mass transit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Because a Super Bowl is going to require some sort of mass transit, as would any major convention held at TSC.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcdcchef wrote: well, if it passes, with downtown becoming successful, you would have to address mass transit, because, with downtown coming back to life, and this happening, the last factor to be addressed is mass transit.
But it still wouldnt be for the sole purpose of the TSC, unless its a 1 line deal...from DT just to the TSC for starters, then expand it
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

And Im sure by that time all the people moaning over the TSC renovations on here will be griping about sending our money to a "not needed" MTS
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

It would probably just be a line from the TSC to downtown, maybe through the RCP spine. But that would be a great start.

I'm getting the feeling you're trying to be argumentative here. Here I am, trying to give you a reason to vote FOR the rolling roof, and you're seemingly grasping at straws arguing against it. I don't get your angle.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

im2kull wrote: But it still wouldnt be for the sole purpose of the TSC, unless its a 1 line deal...from DT just to the TSC for starters, then expand it
no, max is right. if you are going to do a super bowl, a final four, and conventions, at the tsc, then you need a way to get thousands of people there from downtown, where, the hotels are. if both questions pass, or if one passes, and the roof finds a way to happen, we can be sure that in due time, another hotel will open near the tsc, but one hotel, of 300-700 rooms maybe, so, again, tens of thousands of hotel rooms are in the city, and a final four, a superbowl, and conventions, let the entire world see our city, and we cannot let them see it with no proper way to get around. sorry, a bus system is ok and all, but barely even ok.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: no, max is right. if you are going to do a super bowl, a final four, and conventions, at the tsc, then you need a way to get thousands of people there from downtown, where, the hotels are. if both questions pass, or if one passes, and the roof finds a way to happen, we can be sure that in due time, another hotel will open near the tsc, but one hotel, of 300-700 rooms maybe, so, again, tens of thousands of hotel rooms are in the city, and a final four, a superbowl, and conventions, let the entire world see our city, and we cannot let them see it with no proper way to get around. sorry, a bus system is ok and all, but barely even ok.
Or we could just be smarter in the first place and build downtown, within WALKING distance of all the convention space, hotels, businesses, and a more logical place within the metro area for a light-rail system.  :wink: :cheers: