OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Post by Tosspot »

Where do I complain about not having a job? And by the way, my personal matters are none of this forum's goddamned business. If only I had a dime for everytime someone on this board gets their panties in a twist saying that we have no right to criticize crappy design unless we're in some position of power to do anything about it. Bullshit.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tosspot wrote: Where do I complain about not having a job? And by the way, my personal matters are none of this forum's goddamned business. If only I had a dime for everytime someone on this board gets their panties in a twist saying that we have no right to criticize crappy design unless we're in some position of power to do anything about it. Bullshit.
How would I know about your job status if you haven't posted it on here?  If you want to keep your personal matters personal, don't post them.

My panties aren't in a twist but mindlessly critizing EVERYTHING because it's built in america gets old.  It's fine your opinion is the design sucks....but it's a bit boring when you post about EVERY design sucking.....so go out and change the world...I'd love to see some of your designs.  World class architecture firms can't statisfy you, let's ee what you got.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: How would I know about your job status if you haven't posted it on here?  If you want to keep your personal matters personal, don't post them.

My panties aren't in a twist but mindlessly critizing EVERYTHING because it's built in america gets old.  It's fine your opinion is the design sucks....but it's a bit boring when you post about EVERY design sucking.....so go out and change the world...I'd love to see some of your designs.  World class architecture firms can't statisfy you, let's ee what you got.
pretty much. i lived downtown when a lot of you posters were in high school and junior high, and when i lived there, NOTHING AT ALL was getting built downtown, except for quality hill, and it went largely under the radar. so, it is so nice to see stuff getting built finally but it does get old to come on here every single day and see everyone moaning that there is not retail in the ground level of every block, and further that it is not going to interact with pedestrians because it is a long wall, concrete wall, convention center, etc. please, move to the utopian city you think exsists where they have a quiznos in the convention center along the sidewalk, or every single new building has a shoe shine, salon, or subway at street level.

please, real savvy people. kc's downtown population would need to first explode to 1m before that would be feasible, and the metro itself would have to go way over 4m.

not going to happen.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCP, there are building designs that I like. It occured to me after mentioning CCC and 1KCP for their street-hostile portions, that actually Town Pavillion/Transamerica has done a pretty good job of at least exuding some semblance of respect for the street level area. The old Power and Light building as well is pretty good, though that came from long before urban design tenets were thrown down the tubes. I like the design of the Lockton/Valencia Place building on the Plaza. I don't hate everything the way you think I do, but conversely, it is patently ridiculous to expect me to just keep quiet when I see crappy design and act like some panglossian pollyanna solely for the mollification of the bliss ninnies who inhabit this board.

And, so I posted one thread about losing my job, which was one sentence long...that qualifies as dishing out really personal details?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I still don't see who your addressing chef or kcp, because your posts have nothing to do with anything i've said
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

To the point of this thread...I'm sure the new Rep stage would have looked great with WINDOWS backstage....

complaining just to complainb because this isn't Hong Kong is boring...give solutions.

ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'm still confused as to who you guys are talking to...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i don't really care if downtown adds any more new street-level retail space.  if you haven't noticed there seems to be a ton of underused (and perhas available) space all over downtown. 

what downtown needs is residents, residents, and more residents.  downtown needs about 5x more residents than it does now in order to make serious retail possible.  the P+L district will instantly inject a dozen restaurants into the south loop.  how much can KC sustain?
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I agree with your second statement chrizow... We need a lot more residents, but they should be scattered around Downtown, and not in a single location. We cannot have the amount of residential buildings start to overshadow retail and office buildings. (that is, overshadow by a very large margin)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCPowercat wrote: To the point of this thread...I'm sure the new Rep stage would have looked great with WINDOWS backstage....

complaining just to complainb because this isn't Hong Kong is boring...give solutions.
I just re-read through my posts in this argument and I don't see anything about me mentioning Hong Kong. So again you're glibly generalizing everything I'm saying, just like that potshot about my job.

photoblog. 

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

oh goodness, it's all in jest...settle down.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

ShowMeKC wrote: I still don't see who your addressing chef or kcp, because your posts have nothing to do with anything i've said
amazing since KClover, GRID, akp, kcp, and myself are all on that page, that we are all just making it up devin, there was noone bitching, we are just jacking everyone off.

yeah, sure.
KCPowercat wrote: To the point of this thread...I'm sure the new Rep stage would have looked great with WINDOWS backstage....

the solutions that do come up are starting to annoy as well, "could have put retail there" or the great "could have made it more pedestrian friendly"
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Try reading some literature on urban planning. And next time guys, please read my posts, don't just read parts of them. There isn't anything wrong with making these places more pedestrian friendly. That doesn't mean put windows in these locations, just do something to encourage their continual use.

I'm not thinking short term, as in the next 10-20 years. I'm thinking what would be best for Downtown in the long term.

(and I apologize for the arrogancy my post had before I edited it... I've been more focused on the game than anything I say on here.)
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

how about this for a legitimate criticism of that particular wall:

they should have put window displays on that wall so businesses in the P+L district could advertise there.

then again, that can probably still be done pretty easilly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree....window displays could work...or maybe video screens....it's not the best design but far from the worst.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ShowMeKC wrote: We need a lot more residents, but they should be scattered around Downtown, and not in a single location.
right now residents are basically scattered all over downtown.
ShowMeKC wrote: We cannot have the amount of residential buildings start to overshadow retail and office buildings. (that is, overshadow by a very large margin)
that is not even close to happening.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

the dilemma that san diego or vancouver are grappling with at present is a bit distant for us.

photoblog. 

ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

chrizow, I know it isn't close to happening, however it potentially could start happening, and we need to take precautionary measures to keep it from happening.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Long wrote: Look you boneheads

There is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS another way to design a building. 

Maybe the theater could have been on the south end of that building, in the middle of the block, with the other smaller scale uses (with all those windows) placed on the north.  Shove the restaurant up against the theater so that blank wall isn't on the courtyard.

I'm so sick of seeing a design criticism met with "oh would you rather they didn't build it at all."  No freakin duh, the new building is better than the surface lot.  Is it the world's greatest architectural blunder?  No.  Will the theater or the P&L district fail because the building isn't a great design?  No.  That doesn't mean it could not have been done better.  Would I trade it for a surface lot?  Come on.

It's amazing how many people on these boards talk about what this city lacks.  They defend mediocrity, sometimes even strive for mediocrity, then they can't figure out why our city isn't better.
Amen.  Why is everything a comparison to the worst case scenario?  Our goal should not be just having something better than a surface lot! 

And while I'm thinking about it....why are the sidewalks around the Block building so narrow?  For what is supposedly a pedestrian focused area, you'd think someone would have at least looked at the Plaza to see what works.  Apparently not.  Oh, wait.  There not next to a surface lot, good enough for me!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

lock+load wrote: Amen.  Why is everything a comparison to the worst case scenario?  Our goal should not be just having something better than a surface lot! 

And while I'm thinking about it....why are the sidewalks around the Block building so narrow?  For what is supposedly a pedestrian focused area, you'd think someone would have at least looked at the Plaza to see what works.  Apparently not.  Oh, wait.  There not next to a surface lot, good enough for me!
Indeed.

photoblog.