Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by ComandanteCero »

Was passing by the district tonight between 6 and 7 and it was quite a traffic jam.  Completely avoidable, but it looked like tons of folks were trying to get into the HR Block garage, which was backing up into the rest of the district (both for people trying to go north on Walnut, and folks trying to turn onto Walnut from 14th).

Seriously, folks, there are tons of parking garages within a couple of blocks.  You'd think they'd get a clue by watching the folks who are walking in without a worry in a world from surrounding garages instead of sitting in traffic for no reason.

I also think the closure of Grand wasn't helping, because a lot of folks were ending up stranded on Main/Walnut trying to get to the northern garages.  Also, Baltimore is just weird the way it becomes one northbound lane on the left side but doesn't have clear prominent signage letting folks know they can continue on north.... I saw an SUV heading up Baltimore, stop where it narrowed, and maneuver to turn around, obviously not realizing they could keep heading north. 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Aren't most of those garages $10?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ComandanteCero wrote: Was passing by the district tonight between 6 and 7 and it was quite a traffic jam.  Completely avoidable, but it looked like tons of folks were trying to get into the HR Block garage, which was backing up into the rest of the district (both for people trying to go north on Walnut, and folks trying to turn onto Walnut from 14th).

Seriously, folks, there are tons of parking garages within a couple of blocks.  You'd think they'd get a clue by watching the folks who are walking in without a worry in a world from surrounding garages instead of sitting in traffic for no reason.

I also think the closure of Grand wasn't helping, because a lot of folks were ending up stranded on Main/Walnut trying to get to the northern garages.  Also, Baltimore is just weird the way it becomes one northbound lane on the left side but doesn't have clear prominent signage letting folks know they can continue on north.... I saw an SUV heading up Baltimore, stop where it narrowed, and maneuver to turn around, obviously not realizing they could keep heading north. 
I would be willing to wager that Disney Princesses on Ice probably draws a demo particularly unfamiliar with DT.  I have never seen so many minivans and big SUVs DT in my life. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

WyCo wrote: Aren't most of those garages $10?

I saw a lot of $5 signs.  I think prices adjust based on the demand.

On a related note I know a guy who lives in southwestern JoCo who came up for the Big XII championship game.  "Parking was rough," he said, rolling his eyes.  "I parked a whole block from the arena and didn't have to pay a thing.  And when I got back, my car was still there."  Then he laughed and continued mocking idiots who think there's a parking crisis.  Again, this was a JoCo guy and he get it.  :)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I would be willing to wager that Disney Princesses on Ice probably draws a demo particularly unfamiliar with DT.  I have never seen so many minivans and big SUVs DT in my life.
These are the same people who, even though the Scout signs say "Arena Traffic Use 12th Street Exit," all stack up down I-35 to take the Broadway exit.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In today's Star in the parking meter story, there is also reference to the public having access to 200 spots in the live block garage during the day (before 6 on weekdays)...spaces should be available next week.

hopefully the opublic fills those up and more public spaces can be obtained, 200 doesn't seem like enough to me....but this is good progress.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They are also opening the P&L garage (all of it) at 5 instead of 6 on weekdays.  That should help a lot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that is even better news...happy hour people in my office will be pleased.

where did you see that news grid?  is that going to happen next week as well?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I can't remember, but it was a solid source like the business journal, a cordish email or something.  It also mentioned the 200 spaces (since block laid off some people).  I would imagine it would go in effect at the same time.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I found it:
http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/565396.html
Even more important to the Power & Light District is a decision by Block to allow public parking in the entire 1,000-space Kansas City Live garage to begin at 5 p.m. weekdays instead of 6 p.m. Garage hours will remain the same on weekends, opening to the public at noon on Saturdays and all day Sundays.

“That’s big,” said Jon Stephens, marketing director for the Cordish Co.

“Traditionally, the end of the working day is 5 o’clock, and in the evenings people want to come down to meet friends. The 6 p.m. opening had been a struggle for people, and we heard a lot of complaints.”

Stephens also said having the 200 new spaces available now during the day should benefit restaurants and their lunch crowd. Fifty spots will be reserved for valet parking.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

By the way I love the new parking signs they put up for that garage.  That should be done for all the garages.  The one over the garage is very cool looking and the one they put on the post at 13th & Grand is a nice helpful touch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

awesome...don't know how I missed that article.

this will really help me getting driving friends down here for happy hour.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

did anyone catch this classic piece of shit from terry riley earlier this week?
“I think it’s a prime piece of downtown real estate,” said Councilman Terry Riley, a former school board member. “The city of Kansas City needs more parking. This would be a long-term investment that would pay back the city tenfold.”
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 65853.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote: did anyone catch this classic piece of shit from terry riley earlier this week?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 65853.html
Translation: "The school district could make a crapload of money selling this property for a parking lot for rich Sprint Center suite-holders."

Interesting that they would consider building a light rail station there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: did anyone catch this classic piece of shit from terry riley earlier this week?
I don't thinkg he was really looking to trash the actual parking situation.  He's just trying to do his job of getting the most money for the property - he know the city is contractually obligated to have more parking there - A good salesman knows to point out the useful benefits to potential buyers (the city).  If the city built a lot there, they wouldn't need to lease the surface lots by the jail/longlines building from the county. 
18th STreet
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by 18th STreet »

This article was a bit worrisome. All of these talking heads are mouthing off about what the block should become. It's a VERY important piece of land. It looks like they are already salivating about demolishing the building. The city needs more space and parking, I hope they integrate office/retail/parking and light rail.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

how many parking spaces will downtown have added by 2010 since 2005?  more than 10,000?  this is crazy.  just crazy.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That block would be perfect location for a "MAJOR" light rail / bus transit center with bike facilities, a central, public ATA office for people to get light rail /  bus maps, passes, info etc and the city could stack parking on top of all that.

Anything less would be a total and complete waist of a great opportunity.

I see downtown losing an 11 story building for a surface parking lot myself.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

GRID wrote: That block would be perfect location for a "MAJOR" light rail / bus transit center with bike facilities, a central, public ATA office for people to get light rail /  bus maps, passes, info etc and the city could stack parking on top of all that.

Anything less would be a total and complete waist of a great opportunity.

I see downtown losing an 11 story building for a surface parking lot myself.
How would that block be good for a light rail station if the route is on Grand or Main??
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: I see downtown losing an 11 story building for a surface parking lot myself.
There is already a garage on the south half of the block - turning the block into a surface lot would probably be a downgrade in capacity.