Transportation topics in KC
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:09 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:51 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:40 pm 40 gates on the new website map. map doesn't show the delta lounge but does show international arrivals area.
It shows the delta lounge, just has it color coded the same as restaurants I believe. It’s in concourse B amenity node on the north side
It shows the entrance but does not display a 3rd floor where the lounge itself is
Not much to show on that level. It’ll be the only occupant of it, and stretch the entire length of the amenity node there facing east towards the ramps of B and A concourse. They wanted to do the side facing 1L/19R but sight line requirements from the tower meant it would be too tall if it went there
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There is pushback to streetcar at every turn. NextRail, the Urban Rail election, to even the UMKC expansion have all had varying levels of pushback.

The next issue we are going to have is: "We built it and now are done for 50 years." Additional Convention Center Hotels, renovating Bartle Hall, expanding the airport, adding more streetcar lines, etc are all potentially good projects that I forsee pushback. You are already seeing that with the 670 cap, ballpark, and general development pushback; "I though we already invested in downtown".

Kansas City built TSC stadiums, KCI airport, interstates, bridges, convention center, Crown Center, etc in like a single decade then decided they were done building. BIG CITIES ARE NEVER DONE BUILDING.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:23 pm There is pushback to streetcar at every turn. NextRail, the Urban Rail election, to even the UMKC expansion have all had varying levels of pushback.
We know there's always going to be some groups opposed to any given thing, but the general citizenry is supportive of the streetcar expanding now. It's not like it is with the Royals or airport first time through.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:20 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:51 pm
It shows the delta lounge, just has it color coded the same as restaurants I believe. It’s in concourse B amenity node on the north side
It shows the entrance but does not display a 3rd floor where the lounge itself is
Not much to show on that level. It’ll be the only occupant of it, and stretch the entire length of the amenity node there facing east towards the ramps of B and A concourse. They wanted to do the side facing 1L/19R but sight line requirements from the tower meant it would be too tall if it went there
Shouldn't a 3D map have all the levels though? I get this is probably still a work in progress.

I assume inmotion has moved passed being a dvd/device rental company? I thought that was a weird retailer but maybe now they more just like a travel best buy situation.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:42 pm

I assume inmotion has moved passed being a dvd/device rental company? I thought that was a weird retailer but maybe now they more just like a travel best buy situation.

Looks like it

https://www.inmotionstores.com/airports ... id-airport
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:23 pm There is pushback to streetcar at every turn. NextRail, the Urban Rail election, to even the UMKC expansion have all had varying levels of pushback.
We know there's always going to be some groups opposed to any given thing, but the general citizenry is supportive of the streetcar expanding now. It's not like it is with the Royals or airport first time through.
*Maybe

I agreed that people like the streetcar but there is a massive difference between the cost of the routes people support and the level of funding they support. There is a really significant risk that the local populace gets complacent with the few investments we have made and stop supporting additional progress.
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The next issue we are going to have is: "We built it and now are done for 50 years." Additional Convention Center Hotels, renovating Bartle Hall, expanding the airport, adding more streetcar lines, etc are all potentially good projects that I forsee pushback. You are already seeing that with the 670 cap, ballpark, and general development pushback; "I though we already invested in downtown".

Kansas City built TSC stadiums, KCI airport, interstates, bridges, convention center, Crown Center, etc in like a single decade then decided they were done building. BIG CITIES ARE NEVER DONE BUILDING.
BIG CITIES ARE NEVER DONE BUILDING.

Nail on the head. KC stopped building after that for the most part and it played a big role in why the city has fallen to a lower tier city. The Convention Center needs to be upgraded every ten years or so for example. Even with stadiums. People don't realize how old Kauffman is. They just see the giant modern scoreboard I guess. There is no "staying at Kauffman". People don't understand that is not a viable option.

The streetcar is great, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what KC really needs to spend on transit in just the urban core, let alone the metro region.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:42 pm

Shouldn't a 3D map have all the levels though? I get this is probably still a work in progress.

Very much still a work in progress, but I’ll definitely inquire onto that. I think it’s a non-factor solely because that’s the only thing on that floor.

And I’d imagine general electronics; portable batteries, headphones, robo dog knick knacks for kids type products.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:14 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:43 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:41 pm I’m not sure what y’all are on about? There’s signage in every terminal and at the roadway entrance to the airport facility itself for the new terminal. The public engagement about the new terminal has been arguably better than most other new terminal projects I’ve encountered around the nation. When they were building the new terminal at SMF my family didn’t have any idea until they flew out of it. I’ve got family that lives all the way down in Louisburg who fly once a decade who have known about the new terminal here since after the vote.

Honestly don’t see a lack of engagement from the BuildKCI team in the slightest, but maybe that’s just because I actively seek out info, but when I did a walk through a few weeks back there were no surprises, and nothing I hadn’t already known about.
I fly multiple times weekly and this isn't my experience. It's really bad.
I’m not arguing that services in the current terminals are not up to standard. However, they have as much marketing as is currently feasible for the new terminal, especially considering that it’s visible from the current terminals. What more would be necessary? Fixing service is mix of issues, and is not all the burden of the aviation department.
I don't get this Anthony.

Maybe I'm insane. It's possible.

The restaurants weren't serving food. Are we paying these people to do a job?

I have never seen anything about a new terminal but maybe I miss it. I mean I'm there constantly, I'll be there in two days.

Maybe I'm wrong and we have super competent workers
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:42 pm

BIG CITIES ARE NEVER DONE BUILDING.

Nail on the head. KC stopped building after that for the most part and it played a big role in why the city has fallen to a lower tier city. The Convention Center needs to be upgraded every ten years or so for example. Even with stadiums. People don't realize how old Kauffman is. They just see the giant modern scoreboard I guess. There is no "staying at Kauffman". People don't understand that is not a viable option.

The streetcar is great, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what KC really needs to spend on transit in just the urban core, let alone the metro region.
Yes we unnecessarily paused back then. Not sure that's the case anymore as we do continue to build now. Why rehash it in 2022?. We are here to celebrate a new terminal, let's enjoy it, not drag down into every other "problem" we can find.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody can look at buildkci.com and think it's a success of new construction marketing in 2022. The monthly reports stopped in October and were never monthly, the airport department section was last updated in 2021. The image/video gallery was never well curated or updated often. There was one map of the new terminal, ever. There are really cool elements of the airport leaking out in media tour reporting that would have been easy wins to market on the site or @buildkci and it was never done.

I always gave the the benefit of the doubt that it was a money thing but maybe I was being too generous.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:29 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:14 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:43 pm

I fly multiple times weekly and this isn't my experience. It's really bad.
I’m not arguing that services in the current terminals are not up to standard. However, they have as much marketing as is currently feasible for the new terminal, especially considering that it’s visible from the current terminals. What more would be necessary? Fixing service is mix of issues, and is not all the burden of the aviation department.
I don't get this Anthony.

Maybe I'm insane. It's possible.

The restaurants weren't serving food. Are we paying these people to do a job?

I have never seen anything about a new terminal but maybe I miss it. I mean I'm there constantly, I'll be there in two days.

Maybe I'm wrong and we have super competent workers
I should be more clear on my point, I apologize, the current contractor who provides concessions isn’t the operator for the new terminal, so they have no incentive to maintain any decent level of service at this point, coupled with the current time period being historically slow for airline traffic, and a little more than a month from closing operations; I’m shocked they’re even having ANY concessions open at this point.

Adjacent to almost every baggage claim, albeit I’ve only experienced Southwest and United in the current terminals, I’ve seen a build KCI advert for the new terminal on the roadside wall between bathrooms. They could’ve rotated those ads out since I’ve been, but it was fairly recent, and the approach road leading into the airport complex has a large sign saying “arriving in 2023 #BuildKCI”. I’m just not sure how much more we need of advertising for a terminal building that was obviously going up directly adjacent to the existing terminals.

I’m not saying that every decision made by the aviation department is perfect, but you only have so much control over contractors who have literally nothing left to lose at this point, and you can only market something so much with decentralized multi entrance buildings that are a stones throw from the construction site.

I’m not intending to come off snarky with this, but I don’t see all the hate for an obviously very temporary situation that is leading into a MASSIVE shift in comfort and operational ability in less than 2 months.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 pm Nobody can look at buildkci.com and think it's a success of new construction marketing in 2022. The monthly reports stopped in October and were never monthly, the airport department section was last updated in 2021. The image/video gallery was never well curated or updated often. There was one map of the new terminal, ever. There are really cool elements of the airport leaking out in media tour reporting that would have been easy wins to market on the site or @buildkci and it was never done.

I always gave the the benefit of the doubt that it was a money thing but maybe I was being too generous.
Again, if you have an example of some Marvel Movie level marketing for a new terminal in the U.S. I’d love to see it. I’ve not seen any example, and while I’m a fairly casual avgeek, I still follow aviation and aviation infrastructure in the US, and outside of the big players that have borderline simcity budgets for things, I’ve not seen some out of this world marketing that you are preaching about.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Can you point me to any social media saying sorry we're moving? Especially at the baggage claim or leaving?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:55 pm Can you point me to any social media saying sorry we're moving? Especially at the baggage claim or leaving?
Next time I’m there I’ll snap a pic. Again though, I think everyone is just being a little over the top about this situation, and calling for changes in the aviation authority might be a slight overreaction here was all I was saying.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:45 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:37 pm Nobody can look at buildkci.com and think it's a success of new construction marketing in 2022. The monthly reports stopped in October and were never monthly, the airport department section was last updated in 2021. The image/video gallery was never well curated or updated often. There was one map of the new terminal, ever. There are really cool elements of the airport leaking out in media tour reporting that would have been easy wins to market on the site or @buildkci and it was never done.

Again, if you have an example of some Marvel Movie level marketing for a new terminal in the U.S. I’d love to see it. I’ve not seen any example, and while I’m a fairly casual avgeek, I still follow aviation and aviation infrastructure in the US, and outside of the big players that have borderline simcity budgets for things, I’ve not seen some out of this world marketing that you are preaching about.
Yeah I don't have other examples and maybe I'm expecting too much. I just expect more than sporadic videos I could make myself on my phone and "monthly" status reports actually being monthly or Aviation Department reporting on the site being more frequent than 2021. I don't think that is to the level of marvel movies nor have I said that's an Aviation department thing, I thought that would be part of the project budget.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

I work at the airport, and as staff the majority of us airline employees have not even seen the new terminal, just a few managers and what not, so everyone is going to go in blind to this new building without having any sense of where anything is, not to mention spring break season is busier than Christmas, and the NFL draft is directly after, not to mention we’ll still be deicing too.. it’s going to be a shit show. The company I work for has to hire 20 more people and we’re not even getting applicants, then again who wants to work 50+ hours a week outside all day for $15 an hour paychecks not even clearing a grand for two weeks of work, and they wonder why no one wants to work. Every single company there is having extreme difficulty hiring.

I’m excited for the new facility although it’s going to present a whole new series of new problems, and I feel like it won’t run smooth at all because one the staff has no clue where anything is, and there’s not enough staff. All the Kansas City infrequent fliers are going to be extremely overwhelmed at the new facility.

The move is on February 28th. The RONs (remain overnight aircraft) will fly into the old terminals and be towed over to the new concourse over night, so the morning departures will leave the new facility.

United is moving Techops in, and a pilot domicile. Terminal B is coming down the day the new building opens. C is being completely torn down eventually and turned into a deicing pad supposedly.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 am I work at the airport, and as staff the majority of us airline employees have not even seen the new terminal, just a few managers and what not, so everyone is going to go in blind to this new building without having any sense of where anything is, not to mention spring break season is busier than Christmas, and the NFL draft is directly after, not to mention we’ll still be deicing too.. it’s going to be a shit show. The company I work for has to hire 20 more people and we’re not even getting applicants, then again who wants to work 50+ hours a week outside all day for $15 an hour paychecks not even clearing a grand for two weeks of work, and they wonder why no one wants to work. Every single company there is having extreme difficulty hiring.

I’m excited for the new facility although it’s going to present a whole new series of new problems, and I feel like it won’t run smooth at all because one the staff has no clue where anything is, and there’s not enough staff. All the Kansas City infrequent fliers are going to be extremely overwhelmed at the new facility.

The move is on February 28th. The RONs (remain overnight aircraft) will fly into the old terminals and be towed over to the new concourse over night, so the morning departures will leave the new facility.

United is moving Techops in, and a pilot domicile. Terminal B is coming down the day the new building opens. C is being completely torn down eventually and turned into a deicing pad supposedly.
I wonder if a more centrally located airport would have as bad of a problem attracting staff. MetroLink in STL seems to carry just as many travelers as it does airport workers.

Not to offend but there are some inaccuracies in your post.

There will be training and ramp-up opportunities for the staff leading up to Feb 14 simulation. Terminal B and C will close and demolition will take place shortly after. Terminal B is not hitting the ground the day after opening.

The new terminal is close to as simple of an airport as one can design. If a KC traveler is capable of getting on an airplane to KC, they can get on a plane out of KC. Of course, it will take time for people to figure out where everything is at first but the process shouldn't be hard. IND or NoLA have managed this process in recent history.

Aviation reported at City Council that an airline wanted to build a maintenace hanger. Are you saying that is United? United recently announced a slew of new pilot bases but KC was not on the list.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

You’re good man I’m not offended, I’m in open water at this airport along with everyone else, rumors change every day. But United Tech ops is coming that’s a forsure idk anything about new hangars so far, they tell us new stuff all the time.

They need to pay better if they want staff, location is part of the problem but it’s pay, the people at Starbucks make more than I do on the ramp.

I don’t know exactly when the terminals come down I’ve just been told day of which doesn’t make much sense, although employees will eventually get existing B garage one B comes down.

Like I said they need to pay better if they want more staff. I work 50+ hours a week and still dont clear a grand on my paycheck.

People in KC will figure out the new airport but it will be a shit show when it opens I don’t doubt that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Noahfleshman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:22 am You’re good man I’m not offended, I’m in open water at this airport along with everyone else, rumors change every day. But United Tech ops is coming that’s a forsure idk anything about new hangars so far, they tell us new stuff all the time.

They need to pay better if they want staff, location is part of the problem but it’s pay, the people at Starbucks make more than I do on the ramp.

I don’t know exactly when the terminals come down I’ve just been told day of which doesn’t make much sense, although employees will eventually get existing B garage one B comes down.

Like I said they need to pay better if they want more staff. I work 50+ hours a week and still dont clear a grand on my paycheck.

People in KC will figure out the new airport but it will be a shit show when it opens I don’t doubt that.
Can you give more info on the Tech Ops and crew base rumors? Ill try looking into them to confirm

Tech ops could be anything from a small line station to a new MRO base. Any new jobs are exciting but an MRO would be a major investment.