OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by FlippantCitizen »

SiouxCity KCMO Man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:26 pm So how soon before we see McDonald's and other chains make their way into the terminals? I'm all for the local fare but if there are surveys I'm almost sure that's one of the things that people are going to mark as a needs improvement.
Auntie Anne's and and Cinnabon are like the most worthless chains we could have booked. A too sweet pastry place with bad coffee and basically a snack counter with bad bread and liquid processed cheese. Ok fine. I'm not a chain guy and I hope all the local places make it. If we have to have a McD's please let it replace Auntie Anne's and not City Market Hall or something like that.

Death to chains.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 pm
SiouxCity KCMO Man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:26 pm So how soon before we see McDonald's and other chains make their way into the terminals? I'm all for the local fare but if there are surveys I'm almost sure that's one of the things that people are going to mark as a needs improvement.
Auntie Anne's and and Cinnabon are like the most worthless chains we could have booked. A too sweet pastry place with bad coffee and basically a snack counter with bad bread and liquid processed cheese. Ok fine. I'm not a chain guy and I hope all the local places make it. If we have to have a McD's please let it replace Auntie Anne's and not City Market Hall or something like that.

Death to chains.
I suspect the Barbershop will be the first to go. Not sure what Turn The Page will have/sell but if just books sounds like an easy 1st to go.

I think what I still am surprised by is that there are better known/better tasting competitors in most of these spaces.
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What? Don't knock Auntie Anne's!

Out of all the tenants, I find Lego to be quite interesting. I'm not even sure if I have seen a Lego store in a airport before. But as a major AFOL, I think it's pretty awesome.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:49 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 pm

Death to chains.
I suspect the Barbershop will be the first to go. Not sure what Turn The Page will have/sell but if just books sounds like an easy 1st to go.
What happened with Poio? I was surprised to see it on here. I thought the owner had retired and shut the place down
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:12 am What? Don't knock Auntie Anne's!

Out of all the tenants, I find Lego to be quite interesting. I'm not even sure if I have seen a Lego store in a airport before. But as a major AFOL, I think it's pretty awesome.
Honestly, AFOLs are most of the customers I could see patronizing an airport store. The only other one I’ve seen is the one in Copenhagen airport, so this might be one of the first in-airport stores in the US. Regardless I have no idea how I’m getting the titanic in my carry-on :lol:
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:32 am
What happened with Poio? I was surprised to see it on here. I thought the owner had retired and shut the place down
I think they sold the business but it has every intention of continuing to operate as is. I was at Poio just a couple weeks ago and it seemed the same as always.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

You're seriously telling me you think Auntie Anne's does good pretzels?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:10 am

Honestly, AFOLs are most of the customers I could see patronizing an airport store. The only other one I’ve seen is the one in Copenhagen airport, so this might be one of the first in-airport stores in the US. Regardless I have no idea how I’m getting the titanic in my carry-on :lol:
Yeah. I mean Lego's main demographic is now adults. It will be very interesting to see what kind of lego store they put there and I hope it does well. It seems like something that would be in a much larger airport. Actually KC's new airport is going from having nothing to having more than what similar sized airports have.

I personally hope it's sort of the "cart before the horse" situation and the some of the airlines grow dramatically there to take advantage of a nice airport terminal.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:50 am

You're seriously telling me you think Auntie Anne's does good pretzels?
I mean not really. Munich has good pretzels, not airports or malls.

But they are just quick and easy and a decent spot to grab a quick snack. I don't really see a problem with them.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:13 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:10 am

Yeah. I mean Lego's main demographic is now adults. It will be very interesting to see what kind of lego store they put there and I hope it does well. It seems like something that would be in a much larger airport. Actually KC's new airport is going from having nothing to having more than what similar sized airports have.

I personally hope it's sort of the "cart before the horse" situation and the some of the airlines grow dramatically there to take advantage of a nice airport terminal.
It seems like that’s been the model of most of KC’s projects for the last half decade or so. Chris and I discussed this awhile back, as it seems we’re really working to build the infrastructure before a possible boom, as we’re positioned well for the next 10-20 years. If we’re to play our cards right going forward we very well could see a significant growth trend in the late 20’s and into the 30’s, only time will tell though
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I would say the streetcar is a counter argument.

Great for what it is but certainly not designed for a boom.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:41 pm I would say the streetcar is a counter argument.

We’ve studied 5 extension corridors already, and infill projects are mostly focused along its axis, I’m not saying it’s the MTAs Subway or the Tube, but we’re better planned and built currently than the likes of Austin or Nashville at this point in time than they were at the same point before their growth.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:41 pm I would say the streetcar is a counter argument.

We’ve studied 5 extension corridors already, and infill projects are mostly focused along its axis, I’m not saying it’s the MTAs Subway or the Tube, but we’re better planned and built currently than the likes of Austin or Nashville at this point in time than they were at the same point before their growth.
It really isn't built to be more than what it is today.

Austin started building rail when it was smaller than KC and Nashville came very close to as well.

It would be nice if we stopped studying and started fundraising. There are numerous communities in the US who have studied lines. The cities you mentioned have numerous lines studied/planned. Lets just get a plan together and put it in front of the people already, and not just a little extension here or there.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:02 pm

Austin started building rail when it was smaller than KC and Nashville came very close to as well.

It would be nice if we stopped studying and started fundraising. There are numerous communities in the US who have studied lines. The cities you mentioned have numerous lines studied/planned. Lets just get a plan together and put it in front of the people already, and not just a little extension here or there.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Studies don’t mean anything if action isn’t taken
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:19 pm

Going back to your original point, the airport was built with the ability to support ~25% increase in traffic what they projected the need in 2023 would be.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That's kind of my point. KCMO (or even Metro KC) should have some pretty amazing and well thought out ideas to improve the region that have been studied and designed up to a certain point that can be easily dusted off and thrown into more of an implementation phase. KC is a long long way out from even extending the streetcar again let alone having something more comprehensive ready to go.

It seems like the city can do it if it wants to. Look at how quickly the city got a new airport terminal once it decided that it needed one. Look how quickly the 670 deck is coming together. Even the P&L district was a pretty major accomplishment once the city decided it wanted to do it. Few cities in the country have done anything on that scale.

While KC does drag its feet, it has recently proven that it can do big projects in a short time period once it decides it wants to. I just think it's a bit too late to really get much more out of the world cup than what's already in the pipeline. The WC could have been a great way to get local voter and political support for such projects that otherwise are very difficult to make happen. I'm talking about the kinds of studies that places like Austin and Denver and Nashville and Charlotte and Minneapolis etc did years before they started building. But there is nothing even remotely ready. Not even concepts really.

There have not really even been a lot of real studies outside streetcar stuff KC has to look at more than just the streetcar especially since the streetcar has become the focus of all transit in KC while the bus system there is barely functioning. I was just hoping an event like this would push KC over the edge and it sounds like, the city will just bring in 1200 buses and not get much permanent out of the deal which is kind of a bummer. A "major" project to improve KC's infrastructure (transit, roads, highways, recreation etc) should have been in the works. I mean even the 670 deck seems like it's being done in a vacuum when it should be part of a connected system of redoing Penn Valley Park, BAP, Old Broadway Bridge, Berkely Riverfront, the Kaw River etc. All this stuff needs to somehow be interconnected and part of a big master plan. Same with transit.

So that's why I said, at the very least the city has to get spruced up. You want to leave a good impression and much of the city and metro outside of parts of downtown etc is just not great. Especially pretty much anything between downtown and the stadium and the area around the stadium.

Edit. Oops, this should probably go in the world cup thread...
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:27 pm

Going back to your original point, the airport was built with the ability to support ~25% increase in traffic what they projected the need in 2023 would be.
Gotcha, I knew they did build with some kind of buffer before expansion becomes necessary. Is that 25% including a concourse A expansion after the old terminal B is razed? Or is that with the current configuration?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:05 pm That's kind of my point. KCMO (or even Metro KC) should have some pretty amazing and well thought out ideas to improve the region that have been studied and designed up to a certain point that can be easily dusted off and thrown into more of an implementation phase. KC is a long long way out from even extending the streetcar again let alone having something more comprehensive ready to go.

It seems like the city can do it if it wants to. Look at how quickly the city got a new airport terminal once it decided that it needed one. Look how quickly the 670 deck is coming together. Even the P&L district was a pretty major accomplishment once the city decided it wanted to do it. Few cities in the country have done anything on that scale.
On a side note, Grid, this is the most positive I’ve seen you talk about KC in years :lol: can you keep this up until at least the draft?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:37 pm
Gotcha, I knew they did build with some kind of buffer before expansion becomes necessary. Is that 25% including a concourse A expansion after the old terminal B is razed? Or is that with the current configuration?
31 or 32 gates leased before. 39 in the new building is a ~25% increase. 50 is a further 25% increase
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:41 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:37 pm
31 or 32 gates leased before. 39 in the new building is a ~25% increase. 50 is a further 25% increase
Gotcha. So safe to say it’s future-proofed enough to deal with the next 2/3 decades of demand at least, unless we start to become a major transfer hub anyway