TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by KCPowercat »

It was a joke. Learning process? Wtf?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

“Beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 Conference will be comprised of 10 universities—Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia,” the statement said.
Looks like Missouri got the boot.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Soooo,

with West Virginia on board, and the prospect of Louisville being added to bring this conference back to 12 schools, and equal revenue sharing across the board, and the Tier 1 TV package up for renewal.......

Does MU seriously still think a move to the SEC is in their best interest??

I think that a North Division with MU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, LVille is pretty solid. South Division with UT, OU, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote:Soooo,

with West Virginia on board, and the prospect of Louisville being added to bring this conference back to 12 schools, and equal revenue sharing across the board, and the Tier 1 TV package up for renewal.......

Does MU seriously still think a move to the SEC is in their best interest??

I think that a North Division with MU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, LVille is pretty solid. South Division with UT, OU, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor.
And if by some miracle we get Notre Dame?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote:Does MU seriously still think a move to the SEC is in their best interest??
No. MU is having to settle for the SEC, just like West Virginia has to settle for the Big 12.
KC-wildcat wrote: I think that a North Division with MU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, LVille is pretty solid. South Division with UT, OU, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor.
This looks really good. But, read the post above yours. Looks like the Big 12 is staying at 10 for now, which means no divisions and no championship games. It looks like Louisville is left out, for now.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote:And if by some miracle we get Notre Dame?
Kevin Keitzman was talking about the Big 12 adding ND in all sports except football, and adding BYU in football only.

So, the Big 12 would look a little like this:

(Now, that is some crazy graphic from a random MU fan.)
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:Does MU seriously still think a move to the SEC is in their best interest??
No. MU is having to settle for the SEC, just like West Virginia has to settle for the Big 12.
KC-wildcat wrote: I think that a North Division with MU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, LVille is pretty solid. South Division with UT, OU, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor.
This looks really good. But, read the post above yours. Looks like the Big 12 is staying at 10 for now, which means no divisions and no championship games. It looks like Louisville is left out, for now.
BigXII > Big East. WVU will make much more $$$ and gains a higher profile. Don't know if "settling" is quite accurate.

BigXII doesn't want to be at an odd number because of scheduling logistics. We're at 10 w/o MU. If MU stays, we'll need one more team...

Insofacto, MU may see the benefit of staying. But probably not.

Also reports from campus corner that UT agreed to 10 year grant of right.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote: BigXII > Big East. WVU will make much more $$$ and gains a higher profile. Don't know if "settling" is quite accurate.
Can't the same be said for MU with SEC > Big 12?

KC-wildcat wrote: BigXII doesn't want to be at an odd number because of scheduling logistics. We're at 10 w/o MU. If MU stays, we'll need one more team...

Insofacto, MU may see the benefit of staying. But probably not.

Also reports from campus corner that UT agreed to 10 year grant of right.
At this point, I'm pretty sure MU is gone. KK recommends staying at 10 for a few years, anyway. I'm not sure I agree with that, but either way, I don't think the Big 12 is going to have to worry about 11 teams. It would be either 10 or 12, I think.

And yes, it is very possible that by this time next year, Mizzou would be fully aware that they made a mistake. Only time will tell.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
Can't the same be said for MU with SEC > Big 12?
I didn't say MU was settling. I asked whether the SEC was in their best interest.

But yeah, not worth debating anymore. MU is gone.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote:I didn't say MU was settling. I asked whether the SEC was in their best interest.
Well, then...to answer your question: I'm not fully convinced that the SEC is in MU's best interest. So, yeah, to me it looks like they are having to "settle" for the SEC. (Of course, if MU had stayed, I would have probably looked at that as MU having to "settle" for the Big 12. So, it goes both ways, I guess.)
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Welp, so much for MoMan's Texas won't commit to long term grant of rights argument!

10 years.

Why is MU leaving again? I think I've forgotten.

:lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They want to get pushed around by other teams....not just texas. Don't you get it?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:I didn't say MU was settling. I asked whether the SEC was in their best interest.
Well, then...to answer your question: I'm not fully convinced that the SEC is in MU's best interest. So, yeah, to me it looks like they are having to "settle" for the SEC. (Of course, if MU had stayed, I would have probably looked at that as MU having to "settle" for the Big 12. So, it goes both ways, I guess.)
I don't thinking "settling" has anything to do with it. It's possible that MU' is just making a foolish decision, right?

In this case, I think MU wholheartedly supports the SEC move. It's going to open up a pandora's box of greatness for MU.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Just speculation it seems, but this article posits that if the Big 12 lets ND in for non-football, why wouldn't it do that for Texas, and allow UT football to go independent?

COULD NOTRE DAME BE TEEING UP TEXAS?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If Missouri is going to make so much money moving to the SEC, then why are they holding this up because of the Big 12 exit fee? Pay it and be gone!
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

beautyfromashes wrote:If Missouri is going to make so much money moving to the SEC, then why are they holding this up because of the Big 12 exit fee? Pay it and be gone!
They're milking every last drop out of their 15 minutes of fame. Can't blame em'.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote:And if by some miracle we get Notre Dame?
Kevin Keitzman was talking about the Big 12 adding ND in all sports except football, and adding BYU in football only.

So, the Big 12 would look a little like this:

(Now, that is some crazy graphic from a random MU fan.)
Yeah, crazy, as in the same way that it is crazy how Nostradamus has been able to predict every major world event by making vague predictions that people can then project their own fears and hopes onto in order to make themselves feel better. So some random Missouri fan who feels a subconscious fear that Missouri is doing the wrong thing adds a couple teams that may (WV) or probably won't (BYU) be added to the conference, ignoring any other schools that also may be in the mix, and throws a shape which bears an extremely vague resemblance and could be replaced by many other semi-relevant shapes over a map of the mythical conference and tries to use that as some kind of mystical justification to leave the conference that is now, by all measures except for for maximum spite and greed, the best for them.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

:D

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote:If Missouri is going to make so much money moving to the SEC, then why are they holding this up because of the Big 12 exit fee? Pay it and be gone!
Even with the pie in the sky money estimates for revenue increases from the SEC - that have yet be proven - Mizzou will be millions and millions of dollars behind a dozen conference schools for overall athletic budgets. So, they are going to pinching pennies for quite a while.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mizzou Chancellor Brady Deaton has cancelled his trip to India this week.