Livestrong Sporting Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wizards could ditch Bannister site in favor of Wyandotte County

Post by staubio »

Rumor has it that bid requests have been sent out for some of the initial work on the project. Seems like things are moving along.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

ok lets get this started finally
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

"Start date for Kansas City Wizards? stadium construction still unclear"
Kansas City Business Journal - by Rob Roberts Staff Writer

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... aily9.html
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
M
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by M »

Wizards President Robb Heineman posted an update on the stadium situation on the team's blog.

http://www.hillcrestroadblog.com/2009/1 ... pdate.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

too bad...wish them success but I don't see me making it out there.  Way to leave the bannister mall area hanging cerner....proud corporate citizen.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote: too bad...wish them success but I don't see me making it out there.  Way to leave the bannister mall area hanging cerner....proud corporate citizen.
They are running a business and went for the better deal. Much better deal.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the promise of thousands of jobs wasn't made to the bannister site....so only one 'deal' to consider actually.

God love this state line...it does such wonderful things for this metro.

Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

M wrote: Wizards President Robb Heineman posted an update on the stadium situation on the team's blog.

I think the retail enviroment did in this project at Bannister....

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily48.html
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

M wrote: Wizards President Robb Heineman posted an update on the stadium situation on the team's blog.

Great news!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Good project for KCK and probably better long term for the Wizards.

I just hope Cerner and KCMO can get something done with the Bannister Mall site.  I think a mixed use development with lots of residential would have more impact on that area than a stadium and a bunch of soccer fields attended by JoCo people that are affraid to stop at the local QuikTrip.  There needs to be investment that will grow the area, not just build an attraction.  It's too bad KCMO can't use that 200 million dollar green grant to re-develop the Bannister area into a new "green" mixed use area in what is now a brownfield.  It would also be a good place to use that 200 million the city is trying to get for capping the loop.  So long as KCMO is wasting time with capping the loop rather than building light rail or re-building massive sections of the city (like bannister), I won't hold my breath.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

They should just bulldoze the Bannister site and make it a forest.  Sometimes the best thing to do isn't to build new stuff, but return it to its natural state, especially in an area that can't support economic activity.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcmetro wrote: They should just bulldoze the Bannister site and make it a forest.  Sometimes the best thing to do isn't to build new stuff, but return it to its natural state, especially in an area that can't support economic activity.
agreed, but who says this area can't support ecomomic activity?  The people in Overland Park?  Cause there is about 20 times more people within a few miles of the Bannister Site than the Village West site and they spend money too you know. It's not thier fault that they lost 2 million square feet of retail overnight.  It will never be a regional 2 million sq ft retail district again, but there is no reason why a solid 200-300 sq ft of reatail with typical neighborhood boxes and pads (target, petco, kohls, dicks, applebee's etc) wouldn't work there.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

timberwolfrider wrote: i always wonder where the city's priorities are. capping the loop??? really??
Are the Feds going to come in and give the city $100m+ DOT money to build a soccer stadium?  Because thats the only way the loop capping project ever materializes as a "priority".  
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

timberwolfrider wrote: man GRID, that is a small site. what would it be, like a lemonade stand or something?
200-300"k" dummy.  Actually, I think that area could easily support a nice mixed use project with around 500-600k of retail.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

GRID wrote: 200-300"k" dummy.  Actually, I think that area could easily support a nice mixed use project with around 500-600k of retail.
If it couldn't support it before, why will it be able to support it now?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Are the Feds going to come in and give the city $100m+ DOT money to build a soccer stadium?  Because thats the only way the loop capping project ever materializes as a "priority".  
Then turn it down.  KCMO should be asking for DOT money to widen I-70, rebuild the 470/70 interchange, widen 470 south of 70, widen I-35 between the split and 635, build a pedestrian bridge over the MO river, rebuild the aging I-35 viaduct south of the Downtown Loop.   Can the city use the money to build a new terminal for KCI's joke excuse for a terminal?  Wouldn't that 200 million go a long way to getting LRT in the RCP corridor?

The city has no business capping the loop, it's a colossal waste of tax money in a city that doesn't get anywhere near its share of tax money in the first place and they are going to waste it on capping the loop?  I just can't comprehend it.  Sorry.

Say no to the feds and let some other city use the money in a more productive way, even some other city that already has river ped bridges, light rail and modern freeweays can use it to cap some freeway somewhere.  Plus, that 670 canyon is going to eventially (sooner than later) need to be rebuilt.  It can see the city and state capping it anyway.  Like putting siding on a ghetto house...
Last edited by GRID on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcmetro wrote: If it couldn't support it before, why will it be able to support it now?
There are a lot of reasons why all that retail failed that I won't go into.

But the area can support a good amount of retail just based on general demographics.

Now it won't be a 1.5 million sq ft mall, a 250,000 sq ft "Hypermart" or 150,000 sq ft 2 story Montgomery Wards.  

As stores closed in the area, the general area began to deteriorate.  The area's infrastructure and footprint was built around 2.5 million sq ft of retail and when the area became 75% vacant, it looked like hell even though there was still 500,000 sq ft of retail there.  All of those stores opened at the peak of the area so they were paying high lease rates, and probably very high common fees to maintain the massive developments, parking lots,landscaping etc.  Eventually everybody wanted out.  Not because of crime, but because the developments in the area (mall, benjamin plaza etc) were simply way to large for what a retail area that was no longer a regional draw.  

They need to build a new, smaller retail development there.  Something with a Target, best buy, staples, petco, and some strips with smaller retailers along with some sit down and fast food pads.  Put it into a smaller development that would be well leased and maintained.  Build some high quality apartments, townhomes and parkland, get another cerner campus built out there.  Just build a nice new mixed use project with the correct amount of retail that will serve the SKC, Raytown, Grandview areas and it will do fine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

metro...you appear to be completely ignorant to anything outside of joco or older than 5 years when it comes to this metro area.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Then turn it down.  KCMO should be asking for DOT money to widen I-70, rebuild the 470/70 interchange, widen 470 south of 70, widen I-35 between the split and 635, build a pedestrian bridge over the MO river, rebuild the aging I-35 viaduct south of the Downtown Loop.   Can the city use the money to build a new terminal for KCI's joke excuse for a terminal?  Wouldn't that 200 million go a long way to getting LRT in the RCP corridor?
Those are questions of federal priority, not city priority.  For whatever hamfisted reason, its apparently easier to get the feds to cough up money for a project like this than it is for rail, airports, etc.  IF this project ever gets off the ground it will have to be with very little city investment - improving the airport or building rail will require hundred of millions in local tax increases.  

And as somewhat frivilous as this project may seem - i would still rather see federal DOT $$ spent on improving the vibrancy of DT than on some project designed to enhance our ridiculous suburban freeways and make long range commuting even more attractive than it already is.  
GRID wrote: Say no to the feds and let some other city use the money in a more productive way.  
I am as fiscally conservative as the next guy, but this attitude doesn't exactly seem like the best way to continue development in our city.  If the feds want to build it, let 'em build it.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah let boston have more to ddo the same thing...why should kc get greenspace?  F'ing insane.