Market Station apartments, formerly KC Southern Railyard

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: River Market - KC Southern Railyard Apartments

Post by loftguy »

staubio wrote: They are covering the other side of the garage with more units. Hopefully they'll build something up on the bridge side. It would be a great spot. Hopefully the garage becomes invisible when they are done, though the portfolio of this developer is mostly suburban so we'll have to keep our fingers crossed.
Actually Staubio, the properties developed by Morgan Development are pretty equally balanced between greenfield and urban infill developments.  Very little of their prior product is on their website.

Some of the infill, such as Denver and Houston, was really inspired and changed perceptions and ultimately neighborhood direction.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

loftguy wrote: Actually Staubio, the properties developed by Morgan Development are pretty equally balanced between greenfield and urban infill developments.  Very little of their prior product is on their website.

Some of the infill, such as Denver and Houston, was really inspired and changed perceptions and ultimately neighborhood direction.

That is good to hear. Thanks for the clarification. I wish we could get a look at more of their urban properties.

As I watch this evolve, it reminds me of Uptown Dallas. I hope it is better integrated with the neighborhood than that.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

As the garage sits on the edge of the precipice, there is not room at put any units on that side.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

:x  Man, that was a missed opportunity.  Hope they keep it maintained.  I can imagine it covered in streaks of orange rust 10 years down the road.  Maybe they should have used that kind of metal that purposely rusts up to a fraction of an inch than stops.  (Like they used on the ped bridge that over looks the river.)  They could add a vertical garden element to the bridge facing side of the garage.  Maybe they will?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Given that the back side of the garage doesn't really face anything other than the broadway bridge, I would think it would mostly be a candidate for some sort of giant billboard signage. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

That would be a good bet...and would be a money maker.  (although 'just the Broadway Bridge' is actually more important than that statement made it sound...a lot of people come into KC for the first time that way from KCI.)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Or some sort of "Town of Kansas" mural.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Here is how things look as of yesterday. They are cladding some of these walls with brick on the south side. This really will be a presence in the neighborhood.

My apologies to our main man Tosspot. This is my first attempt at HDR.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Now that the brick is going up, these are starting to blend will with the existing neighborhood.  Viewed from the towers in the CBD, they fill in the area very well and seem like a natural fit.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Staubio - I like!

And business had me drive northbound yesterday across the Broadway Bridge - from what I could see from there this project should be a fine addition. I'll have to make a point though to get inside the River Market and have a look around on foot.

Damn me I'm falling out of touch with my downtown.

Staub - off topic but did you purchase a Photomatix Pro license?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote: Staub - off topic but did you purchase a Photomatix Pro license?
I used GiMP, created layers for my nominal, +2 and -2 EV exposures and then put layer masks on the light and dark ones. Probably an overly complicated way to go about it but I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I guess there are more "automatic" tools available, and imagemagick does it too.

Is Photomatix Pro your tool of choice?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

staubio wrote: I used GiMP, created layers for my nominal, +2 and -2 EV exposures and then put layer masks on the light and dark ones. Probably an overly complicated way to go about it but I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I guess there are more "automatic" tools available, and imagemagick does it too.

Is Photomatix Pro your tool of choice?
Photomatix is indeed the "standard" for HDR-making, however what you did still certainly qualifies as increasing the dynamic range of the photo. Some times I'll dabble with doing it in a similar manner in Photoshop. Sometimes one method works better than the other. And a lot of the time, I'll have to go into Photoshop and fix the things that HDR-ing in Photomatix messes up!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Stabio, that last picture looks almost identical to the view from my apartment. are we neighbors??? I live in Riverbend Lofts
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looking a lot better from B'way bridge southbound now that they have put stucco panels up on parking garage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Morgan Group faced a lot of problems developing the old Kansas City Southern site for apartments.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1389052.html
There is no fifth destination.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I see now they are targeting $1.35/sqft.  Better than the $1.50/sqft we estimated, though still the highest in the metro I believe - even higher than 909 Walnut, which I think is $1.25/sqft.

Am hopeful when this is leased out, it will kickstart Delaware St into a true neighborhood retail strip.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

ignatius wrote: Am hopeful when this is leased out, it will kickstart Delaware St into a true neighborhood retail strip.
I'm just curious as to why people think this is going to happen. Other than the ElJays space, there aren't any open spots. So, are you expecting offices to be kicked out in order to bring in retail?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^Not kicked out, but as things transition, would be ideal for ground level spaces along DE to eventually have neighborhood amenities.  With the significant addition of new housing coming, in addition to the existing, the critical mass should be there to support a strip of neighborhood amenities.

BTW, the spot next to farmhouse is also open I believe.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

even better: maybe when the economy bounces back some of the surface lots in the RM will be developed into residential with streetfront retail/etc.  there's nothing wrong with offices/business existing streetside, even on a picturesque street like delaware. 

what kind of neighborhood amenities are needed in the RM anyway?  there are plenty of restaurants there, a few bars, all the stuff in the City Market, gyms, etc.  I could see maybe a drugstore or something. 

i'm also not really sure what kind of "retail" we want to see anyway.  retail is dead these days, due to the internet as well as the economy.  would it really do that much good to have some fly by night clothing boutiques or something in these spaces? 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Market Station will run from 1.30 to 1.50, as previously stated.  The bulk of the units are roughly 1.35.

Just for the record, there are some condos that have been rented at greater than 2.00 psf monthly, but these are exceptional spaces.

Also, I noticed that the 4,000sf storefront space at 208 Delaware has just come available for rent.  I'm betting it will end up with an office user.  It would be great to see some creative retail though...sigh.