18th and Vine

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 18th and Vine

Post by KCMax »

Kansas City's Jazz District will get two new tenants

The Full Employment Council and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation?s Urban Entrepreneur Partnership will join the 18th & Vine Jazz District as tenants.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/06/mor ... h_vine.php
At least a hundred people showed up to hear what City Hall had in mind for the district -- and  listening to City Hall talk about 18th and Vine can be emotionally risky. After all, it's been a long time since Emanuel Cleaver's administration, when we dumped the first $20 million into the district's rehab (with tens of millions to follow). If City Hall had delivered on the promise back then, 18th and Vine would have been jumping for years now.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New look for 18th and Vine delayed
The public has been waiting for that large two-story neon sign that was promised for the 18th and Vine Jazz District. The wait for the sign promised in May 2008 will continue a while longer.

Wayne Cauthen, city manager of Kansas City, said the delay now involves liability issues that McCormack Baron Salazar Inc., the developer, and the city are trying to work through.

"They're saying, "Suppose this sign falls?? " Cauthen said. "Who's going to be responsible? Those kinds of legal entanglement are being worked out before it gets built."

Last July, officials broke ground on an $800,000 project for a sign heralding the 18th Street and Vine Jazz District and a terrace at the northeast corner of 18th and the Paseo.

The terrace includes benches, trees and a stage from which musicians can perform. The sign will be atop the building.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

PITCH article on how Mayor/Rep. Cleaver's inattention to the Jazz District contributed to its' failure.

http://www.pitch.com/2010-02-04/news/em ... and-vine/2
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

PITCH article on problems at the Mutual Musicians Foundation

http://www.pitch.com/2010-02-04/news/po ... foundation
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Found in PITCH Weekly, an article on the new leadership elected at Mutual Musicians Foundation.

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2010/02/new ... dation.php
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Buck O'Neil's Negro Leagues Museum threatened by discord, financial problems

I guess Joe Posnanski is going to write a column this week with his thoughts on the new leadership. He has been very critical of the selection of Greg Baker (Jason Whitlock also blasted the choice) to lead the museum. The decision to disassociate the Museum to Buck O'Neill is idiotic, to say the least.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears Ollie Gates is stepping up to reinvigorate the Buck O'Neil Center.

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1730444.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Danny's Big Easy, a Cajun restaurant formerly near 16th and Main, is going to reopen in the 18th and Vine District--in the former Harper's space.

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/6440
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

A great fit, I hope they do well there.  Never visited it on Main, anyone else have experience there?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: A great fit, I hope they do well there.  Never visited it on Main, anyone else have experience there?
I was at "Dannys" a couple of times.  Ate some jambalaya that was simply ok, and some bbq ribs that were pretty good.  Late night it turned into a N'orlans style dance party.

Not nearly as exciting though, as the night I stopped in there, not realizing it had converted to "Daddys".  It was quite a moment, when my eyes adjusted to the darkness of the place and saw the place was filled with robust, shirtless, hairy men in leather vests and chaps........... 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

loftguy wrote: I was at "Dannys" a couple of times.  Ate some jambalaya that was simply ok, and some bbq ribs that were pretty good.  Late night it turned into a N'orlans style dance party.

Not nearly as exciting though, as the night I stopped in there, not realizing it had converted to "Daddys".  It was quite a moment, when my eyes adjusted to the darkness of the place and saw the place was filled with robust, shirtless, hairy men in leather vests and chaps........... 
I'm sure the similar names of Danny's to Daddy's was no accident for that very reason.  How many rounds of drinks did you stay for?  :lol:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

This is awesome. I really liked Danny's on Main. They had some great, standard cajun options - Po boys were good. Liked it better than Jazz for atmosphere - food was comparable. I remember loving their hush puppies.

Will definitely check it out. I went to The Blue Room last weekend for the first time in a long time. Not a lot of action going on down in the district. Hopefully this helps.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I'm sure the similar names of Danny's to Daddy's was no accident for that very reason.  How many rounds of drinks did you stay for?  :lol:

If I hadn't backed out the door, I think they might have thrown me out.  I'm not grizzly material enough to count even as a cub.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote:
If I hadn't backed out the door, I think they might have thrown me out.  I'm not grizzly material enough to count even as a cub.
If you'd quit shaving your back, you might have a chance.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I always figured they were going cheap and went for a name that required changing the fewest amount of letters in the big neon sign. 
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

PumpkinStalker wrote: A great fit, I hope they do well there.  Never visited it on Main, anyone else have experience there?
First off, Hi there, PumpkinStalker- nice to see you again.  :)

I'm glad to hear Danny's is being resurrected in a location closer to my home, and in the 18th & Vine area to boot.  We visited their old location twice before it closed.  I had their gumbo the first time (it was good) but the second time I ordered what my husband had both times.  How any restaurant can concoct a killer fried chicken sandwich is beyond me, but they did it. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

alpha_glamourina wrote: First off, Hi there, PumpkinStalker- nice to see you again.   :)

I'm glad to hear Danny's is being resurrected in a location closer to my home, and in the 18th & Vine area to boot.  We visited their old location twice before it closed.  I had their gumbo the first time (it was good) but the second time I ordered what my husband had both times.  How any restaurant can concoct a killer fried chicken sandwich is beyond me, but they did it. 
Ha, it's been a while, eh?  I'll have to try it when it opens. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Jazz District Officials Seek to Regain Momentum to Restore Seven Crumbling Structures Along Highland Street.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/18/20 ... ek-to.html
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

How long has the 18th/Vine redevelopment been going on? Now that the Crossroad district progresses east, seems like a natural to tie the districts together. Each development might benefit with the connection. Is there anything happening along The Paseo? Is there any hope that makes a comeback?