Dec. 22 Press Conference

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dec. 22 Press Conference

Post by KCMax »

that, is a great example. always around 1.9, 1.8, 2.2, always better then the royals

Except for when they were a losing team, in the 80s, and drew 1.1, 1.2, 1.0...

and look at those glorious arizona diamonbacks now. just barely drew 2m last year, losing money, and on their way to hell in terms of on field performance.

that is what you guys want mr glass to do. .......................go into debt from hell to get one good run.

Arizona has a pretty damn good young team right now. Carlos Quentin, Chris Young, Conor Jackson, Stephen Drew and Dusty Nippert are a pretty good nucleus.

Besides, you keep conflating two different things.

The Arizona Diamondbacks took on substantial debt to pay out large player contracts. They did it not to make money, but to win. It is not a smart business decision, but if you want to win, its a smart (maybe) baseball decision.

What I am asking the Royals to do is to take out debt to pay for stadium infrastructure to improve revenue streams. This is a better investment because theoritically you're improving your revenues!

Just answer me this, do you think it is a good financial investment to renovate the K?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yes. it is a stadium the fans already like, except for a couple of dozen posters here. i go there, several times a year. and i love it. i hate leaving the k and having nothing to do, but moving the k downtown will not fix that. i will still have to drive elsewhere to have shit to do. i go to these downtown palaces in toronto, cleveland, pittsburgh, and baltimore. baltimore is the only city out of any of them where there is stuff going on after the games, the inner harbour, and it is packed with 20 somethings getting drunk at bar baltimore and have a nice day cafe. they do not even go to the games, so one has nothing to do with the other.

as far as arizona, the only way for them to compete with sanfran, and la, is to go way into debt like they did in 99-01. and i fail to see why any owner would do that. and it was not a smart business decision. their ownership group is larger than that joke miles prentice attempted to put together to buy the royals. they are fucked beyond their wildest dreams financially. and will be for, well, how long have we been??
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Again, read my post on how are you are confusing going in to debt to finance a TEAM with going into debt to finance INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS.

If you think renovating the K is a good financial investment, that is, it will produce a good amount of revenues in proportion to how ever much it will cost - then you should have no problem finding people willing to invest in such a project. And those people should be private investors - not taxpayers.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Again, read my post on how are you are confusing going in to debt to finance a TEAM with going into debt to finance INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS.

If you think renovating the K is a good financial investment, that is, it will produce a good amount of revenues in proportion to how ever much it will cost - then you should have no problem finding people willing to invest in such a project. And those people should be private investors - not taxpayers.
why not? the taxpayers, in cleveland, phily, pittsburgh, toronto, baltimore, cincy, san diego, chicago, milwaukee, and many others pay for it. renovating the k will produce just as much revenue as a downtown park. and the taxpayers will pay it. just like they always do.

i am not confusing infrastructure with payroll. i understand that the garigiola group spent millions on player salaries to go into debt. but my point is, everyone here is calling out glass, saying why doesnt he spend more on payroll, if he did, perhaps we would be willing to bite the bullet a little more, yet, i am citing a perfectly good example of how dumb that is.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I am not talking at all about Glass spending more on payroll.

I am talking about David Glass asking private investors to help him with a project to renovate the K (or build a downtown stadium) with the return of added revenue streams.

Instead, you want the taxpayers to pay for the renovations to the K with all the revenue going to Glass, with little to no positive financial impact on the city, simply because "other cities do it!"

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote:

so, those same kc sports fans, that are pretty damn good, averaged 45,500 in arrowhead all throught the 80's, and in 86, when we had ONE HALF THE ATTENDANCE AT ARROWHEAD WE DO NOW the chiefs average 46,000 at home games. the kansas city fan base forgot all about the chiefs from the inception of the truman sports complex until marty got hired. hell, it took 3 straight playoff seasons to get arrowhead sold out even then.
46,000 isn't really too bad for a hopeless NFL team.  I imagine the Cardinals would have felt pretty damn successful to have sniffed that through some of their ugly days.  I don't think Tampa or New England ever got anywhere remotely near that back during their sucky years.  Hell the Raiders haven't been too far out of that range for playoff games in relatively recent years.  
kcdcchef wrote: we are fairweather, and we all know it.
Every city is a bit fairweather to some degree and of course things will be more successful when the on-field product is good.  However I still stand by my assertion that we are alot better than most cities.  You stick the crappy product the Royals have served up to us in a city like Phoenix, San Fran, Seattle, anywhere in Florida, etc., and you will see fan support that makes Royals fans look die hard.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: i hate leaving the k and having nothing to do, but moving the k downtown will not fix that. i will still have to drive elsewhere to have shit to do.
There is more to do after a game downtown right now than there is around the K, and all within a reasonable walk.  I don't know what you are smoking.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: There is more to do after a game downtown right now than there is around the K, and all within a reasonable walk.  I don't know what you are smoking.
again, what there is to do downtown is not what baseball fans are going for. they are not going to go bar hopping. they want to go back to their home areas to see a movie and shit. i have went to baltimore for games at camden yards, people get the fuck out of there after a game. the other stuff to do in the harbour attracts the younger non baseball crowd.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: they want to go back to their home areas to see a movie and shit.
The Empire will be restored shortly offering movies in the area for those who prefer that, and there will be plenty of new public restrooms in the P&L district for those to need to take care of the other.

All of that without having to drive home first.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Somehow, I seriously doubt there are too many people who want to watch a two hour movie just after watching a three hour baseball game.

The shitting however, I can understand.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Don't you know - what people really want to do after a Baseball game is sit in their cars in a log jammed parking lot drinking canned beer and wishing to god the traffic would move.  I can't think of a finer way to spend a Friday night.  ](*,)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Don't you know - what people really want to do after a Baseball game is sit in their cars in a log jammed parking lot drinking canned beer and wishing to god the traffic would move.  I can't think of a finer way to spend a Friday night.   ](*,)

lenexa, have you been to downtown baseball games? hell, i even went to muni. but back to present day, jammed parking lot at tsc, or jammed urban core. either way, you are going to sit in a jam after the game.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote:
lenexa, have you been to downtown baseball games? hell, i even went to muni. but back to present day, jammed parking lot at tsc, or jammed urban core. either way, you are going to sit in a jam after the game.
not those smart enough to take the bus or walk :)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

people can do that at the k.

and somehow i doubt all the subarbanites are going to move to the core, so, new argument please.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

lock&load wrote: not those smart enough to take the bus or walk :)
Or smart enough to do something else besides go to their car.  At the K you have to wait through the traffic disaster just to get to the area's one amenity- the taco bell.  Really your one and only choice is to leave.  If the park was downtown you would have countless options to pass the time while you wait out the traffic - go for a drink - go for a meal - go shop in the P&L- go to the Empire, etc, etc, etc. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Or smart enough to do something else besides go to their car.  At the K you have to wait through the traffic disaster just to get to the area's one amenity- the taco bell.  Really your one and only choice is to leave.  If the park was downtown you would have countless options to pass the time while you wait out the traffic - go for a drink - go for a meal - go shop in the P&L- go to the Empire, etc, etc, etc. 
Plus parking downtown would be more spread out, and there are many more exit points, not just the 2-3 at the K.  Almost every street will get you out of downtown in some direction.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Or smart enough to do something else besides go to their car.  At the K you have to wait through the traffic disaster just to get to the area's one amenity- the taco bell.  Really your one and only choice is to leave.  If the park was downtown you would have countless options to pass the time while you wait out the traffic - go for a drink - go for a meal - go shop in the P&L- go to the Empire, etc, etc, etc. 

so let me see if i understand this. in other cities, that have downtown baseball, such as my hometown of pittssburgh, pennsylvania, or at jacobs field, where i caught some royals games last year in cleveland, or the rogers centre where i caught games last season in toronto, all those cities, where, people flee the second the game is over, to head back to suburbia, it will be different in kc??

explain please. because in all these cities i attended royals and pirates games last year, noone stays after the games. in fact, in cleveland, where we have to walk through that mall that houses hard rock, to get to our car after the game, the fucken mall was closed.

so, in kc, it will be different then the other cities, that have tried this idea already?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: explain please. because in all these cities i attended royals and pirates games last year, noone stays after the games.
You're saying that not one person stays after the game?  Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

So all of these businesses, restaurants, shops, bars, entertainment venues, etc. that have been developed around the new downtown parks - they are all just surviving on public subsidy? charity? mob fronts? 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: So all of these businesses, restaurants, shops, bars, entertainment venues, etc. that have been developed around the new downtown parks - they are all just surviving on public subsidy? charity? mob fronts? 

they developed the same way the p&l is in kansas city. cleveland did not need jacobs field to make it happen. that area was getting built when they were still "talking" about the jake and browns stadium. same with toronto.
lock&load wrote: You're saying that not one person stays after the game? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
not one? sure, some stay, throngs, no. the same amount that go to the clarion, dennys,, taco bell, and stay and get drunk in parking lot c.