New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I never said Kansas would not make a gambit or there would not be a lot of smoke around this whole issue or even that the state of Missouri would not have to get involved. This will certainly be a conversation. My main position is it would be a strategic blunder to allow TSC to be abandoned, Kansas will struggle to put together a serious offer, Hunt family will be more hesitant to abandon Arrowhead than other ownership's to change homes, and a healthy dose of my own personal preference which of course doesn't count for anything. Pretty sure all of that stands.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

They're not moving. They saw the Buffalo news on top of all the Royals stuff & see this as their only real opportunity to get public funds. Probably will still not entirely work out their way, will build entertainment district/hotel where the K is now, just as everyone expects. This is just a ploy for money, boring.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 pm Stateline Stadium. 50 yard line is the boarder
Only place that could happen is like 195th and state line
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Can I just say- why do we care so much where the Chiefs go?

Can we spend the $1 bil in money we’d spend for the Chiefs on doing something real like transit or an active project?

Who gives a shit to spend another $1 bil for a football stadium that’s seldom used. If Kansas is willing to pay that for an inactive stadium- who cares!! It literally does not matter which side has it. It’s not a daily thing like the Royals.

Let them just pay for an always empty football stadium and then we can spend that money on something real like actual development of our city.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

I don't see how an associated development district at TSC is viable with the Chiefs on their own. The surrounding area has been untouched for years even with an MLB team playing there also. Its just not a desirable area or high in growth. The draw is that you can quickly come off i-70 and get in and out as fast as possible. Which is nice in 1975, not 2022.

Its not like theres an existing base or cluster of other things in the area they can draw from to make it viable on the 350 days there aren't games or big events like training camp or the draft or play off games.

All the "districts" that are popping up around stadiums now have other things they can draw from to be viable year round. BPV has Blues/Arena, soon MLS games, the Arch and DTSTL. Titletown in GB has an arena and an expo center on its door step. The Battery in Atlanta has several corporate HQs and 81 baseball games. Arena District in Columbus has two teams and a Downtown location, Patriot Place has two teams and a rail link to one of the biggest cities in the country. Sofi has three teams there. Dallas two, Philly four.

In a metro like KC could a TSC development compete against P&L, the Plaza, JoCo, Village West etc? Only with the Royals also on board IMO.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:27 pm Can I just say- why do we care so much where the Chiefs go?

Can we spend the $1 bil in money we’d spend for the Chiefs on doing something real like transit or an active project?

Who gives a shit to spend another $1 bil for a football stadium that’s seldom used. If Kansas is willing to pay that for an inactive stadium- who cares!! It literally does not matter which side has it. It’s not a daily thing like the Royals.

Let them just pay for an always empty football stadium and then we can spend that money on something real like actual development of our city.
I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to that. But if you think it won't be a political issue in Kansas for 1B of public money to be dished for his you are mistaken. I talked to my dad and he actually said he'd rather go for a bi-state expansion of the stadium tax to than for KS to be on the hook for a whole thing. That's just one person and probably not a majority opinion. Just think we're not considering all of the PR hurdles this would entail.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:27 pm

No, state gives the county/city ability to levy taxes for certain things of certain amounts. If they law says the tax is for stadiums, you cant use it for something else
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:25 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 pm Stateline Stadium. 50 yard line is the boarder
Only place that could happen is like 195th and state line
West Bottoms
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I would put it where the old Gateway office building is which is in both KCMO and KCK.

but I still think the stadium will stay at the TSC (renovated or a new one where Kauffman is).

Last edited by GRID on Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:27 pm

No, state gives the county/city ability to levy taxes for certain things of certain amounts. If they law says the tax is for stadiums, you cant use it for something else
To be fair if you removed that from the tax burden there would be more room for other levies.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:49 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:38 pm Time for this to get out there and the conversation started.
Hey, I tried warning them all yesterday! They was pissed

I’m sure they’ll double down now and such
You didn't tell anybody anything they didn't already know. I still don't think KS can afford, but I have always said they will try. KS is a posterchild of using public incentives in stupid ways. Of course they will try to take the Chiefs. Taking cultural assets and companies from KCMO ha been the entire lifeline of KS since forever.

But at the end of the day, I think KCMO and Missouri will get something done.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I can't imagine the State of Missouri wants to see headlines like, "State of Missouri loses their second NFL team in less than a decade." They'll scramble to keep the team with a wad of cash.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Personally, I think the stadium should stay where it is, but if it moved, this is where is should go:

The old Gateway complex, which is mostly vacant now and being used to park cars for the manufacturing plants.

Close to Downtown, but also in MO and KS.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0971974 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:01 pm Personally, I think the stadium should stay where it is, but if it moved, this is where is should go:

The old Gateway complex, which is mostly vacant now and being used to park cars for the manufacturing plants.

I could get behind that.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:01 pm Personally, I think the stadium should stay where it is, but if it moved, this is where is should go:

Man wouldn't that be cool? Close to Downtown, Kemper and proposed projects like the Rock Island Bridge

Also would be perfect if they brought back those MU/KU border war games
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:32 pm I don't see how an associated development district at TSC is viable with the Chiefs on their own. The surrounding area has been untouched for years even with an MLB team playing there also. Its just not a desirable area or high in growth. The draw is that you can quickly come off i-70 and get in and out as fast as possible. Which is nice in 1975, not 2022.

Its not like theres an existing base or cluster of other things in the area they can draw from to make it viable on the 350 days there aren't games or big events like training camp or the draft or play off games.

All the "districts" that are popping up around stadiums now have other things they can draw from to be viable year round. BPV has Blues/Arena, soon MLS games, the Arch and DTSTL. Titletown in GB has an arena and an expo center on its door step. The Battery in Atlanta has several corporate HQs and 81 baseball games. Arena District in Columbus has two teams and a Downtown location, Patriot Place has two teams and a rail link to one of the biggest cities in the country. Sofi has three teams there. Dallas two, Philly four.

In a metro like KC could a TSC development compete against P&L, the Plaza, JoCo, Village West etc? Only with the Royals also on board IMO.
People just will not get it through their heads that large stadiums and retail do not work well together at all. Not even a little bit. There is a reason nothing has been built near the TSC. But whatever. For some reason people's priority is to have a stupid little "entertainment district" next to the NFL stadium for some reason. Same people that want to take a freaking tram to KCI airport probably. It won't work, it will be stupid as hell and it's not even needed for Arrowhead.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

West Bottoms is intriguing…

I could see that working if some pieces are moved around
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

West Bottoms I could get behind as well.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I could do the split, would be much better integrated for sure. Costs would suck though, but could spur transit to KCK asap
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

And everyone on here sells out the TSC for the West Bottoms at the drop of a hat. :)