New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: New Riverfront Women's Soccer Stadium

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:20 am I noticed I did that, but really didn't mean it in a negative way.
Disadvantage of being the first mover but I agree. Riverfront is the right location, stadium is designed to be upgraded and expanded, and the district will make this a draw even in bad years.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:08 pm
GRID wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:20 am I noticed I did that, but really didn't mean it in a negative way.
Disadvantage of being the first mover but I agree. Riverfront is the right location, stadium is designed to be upgraded and expanded, and the district will make this a draw even in bad years.
Location matters most and having people involved in making sure the area around the stadium is properly developed will more than make up for any flaws in the stadium itself, which like I said, can easily be upgraded since it's already in the right location.

The stadium is fine, but I'm not the first on this forum to mention that it's kind of a bare bones stadium that some on here have even compared to high school stadiums.

If KC were to build a new MLS stadium today, would it be in the parking lot of a furniture store 20 miles from the city and only have a capacity of 18,500? I was just bringing up a realistic topic. I think you will see more NWSL specific stadiums now and they will likely progressively get larger and nicer. But none may ever match the overall location/experience that KC is building.

This is a fantastic development overall. I'm glad that KC might set a new standard. It means the league will be around for a while.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:01 pm
langosta wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:08 pm
Location matters most and having people involved in making sure the area around the stadium is properly developed will more than make up for any flaws in the stadium itself, which like I said, can easily be upgraded since it's already in the right location.

The stadium is fine, but I'm not the first on this forum to mention that it's kind of a bare bones stadium that some on here have even compared to high school stadiums.

If KC were to build a new MLS stadium today, would it be in the parking lot of a furniture store 20 miles from the city and only have a capacity of 18,500? I was just bringing up a realistic topic. I think you will see more NWSL specific stadiums now and they will likely progressively get larger and nicer. But none may ever match the overall location/experience that KC is building.

This is a fantastic development overall. I'm glad that KC might set a new standard. It means the league will be around for a while.
Very excited that Current have seemingly read the mistakes of Sporting and are adjusting.

SKC could expand but only in 1 big renovation. Current can be expanded in multiple ways and in smaller sections.

SKC is a bit of an island. The only attractive part of games was a winning team and a brand new stadium. Current is creating a unique ecosystem around the stadium. Both in the district but also the community events and activation. This takes the emphasis off winning and a fancy stadium.

I suspect American Royal will have failed by 2040-45
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don't know all. Being close to downtown and next to a river is neat and all but not nearly as convenient as being located next to a speedway, Famous Daves and Warrens Mega Furniture Deals.

Right now you've got to park a ways away and utilize your human legs to transport your bodies to the Current games and to top it all off, when the game is over you can't cross the street and take advantage of 0% 18-month financing on that new vibrating theatre couch you've been wanting.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:49 pm I don't know all. Being close to downtown and next to a river is neat and all but not nearly as convenient as being located next to a speedway, Famous Daves and Warrens Mega Furniture Deals.

Right now you've got to park a ways away and utilize your human legs to transport your bodies to the Current games and to top it all off, when the game is over you can't cross the street and take advantage of 0% 18-month financing on that new vibrating theatre couch you've been wanting.
The sporting KC park and walk experience is very bad imho. IMHO worst of anything comparable (Royals, Current, Sprint Center events).