Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by KCTigerFan »

Imagine this at the Bannister mall site, except in lieu of the Tennis Center we have an outdoor amphitheater that effectively replaces Verizon. 

Home Depot Center - LA  / 27,000 seats
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCTigerFan wrote: Imagine this at the Bannister mall site, except in lieu of the Tennis Center we have an outdoor amphitheater that effectively replaces Verizon. 

Home Depot Center - LA  / 27,000 seats
That is really an excellent facility. I had the privilege of working on the initial concept. I think the tennis complex would be a great addition too.
M
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by M »

staubio wrote: Because we've only had three home games so far, one in a torrential rainstorm, one starting at an abnormal time conflicting with youth soccer and the other a normal time with respectable attendance. Besides, I wouldn't expect things to drastically change overnight and it would be ignorant to have that expectation.  The gameday experience is drastically better, the marketing is better, the team is playing with a newfound swagger and the games are fun.  Things are headed in the right direction.
not to mention the fact that OnGoal has basically gone away from giving away tickets as much as possible.  They don't give freebie tickets to people that don't actually attend the games.  The team has also gotten rid of the much abused zard card that allowed "kids" to get $5 tickets.  This card was abused by every adult who had a kid with one, even many of those without kids abused it.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

First training session at new Swope Park training facility is this Friday (or so I've heard).
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
M
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by M »

Kard wrote: First training session at new Swope Park training facility is this Friday (or so I've heard).
that's true according to their weekly update

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.js ... &team=t105

down at the bottom of the article.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

shinatoo wrote: That is really an excellent facility. I had the privilege of working on the initial concept. I think the tennis complex would be a great addition too.
Yes, that stadium is great! It has several diffrent events each year not just soccer. Think of it as a outdoor arena. KC could be so lucky to have a facility of that capacity. Not to mention it is a handsome looking stadium as well.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

It seems like development on this project has stalled. Was there supposed to be a longer timeframe than I thought? I was expecting to hear something a while ago.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I think the biggest issue is that KCMO has a new Mayor and Council that has pledged to wait on approving any new TIF or other economic incentives until a policy is in place.  I would say that we will hear something on Bannister, the P&L Hotel/Condo and several other projects once a policy is set and announced. 

I think this one needs to be a priority.  It is in an area that is high profile and is probably the largest area of dead retail in the city.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

KCTigerFan wrote:
I think this one needs to be a priority.  It is in an area that is high profile and is probably the largest area of dead retail in the city.
Grandview/South KC area has over 25% vacancy rate in retail. 
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/news/team_ ... &team=t105
The facility is a likely precursor to an even bolder statement of the Wizards as a major player in Kansas City - a dedicated stadium. Currently, the Wizards' developer is on the hunt for a location. Four places are in the running at the moment.

"It's two in Missouri and two in Kansas. ... Basically, we have put together a very attractive overall package led by Lane 4, the developers. They are going to figure out a spot for the Kansas City Wizards, and we are very excited to be part of an overall global development project that includes some very cool cutting-edge retail, a very integrated office complex, hotels, so on and so forth. The soccer stadium is just going to be the shining jewel in that development," Cotton said.

"There is no reason to do this if it doesn't generate revenue for a municipality. At the end of the day, this is going to be an economic engine for the community that wants it. We just need a community to step up and say, 'We do want it.'"
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

So what are the other three sites besides Bannister?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think DeSoto and Gardner in Kansas. Not sure what the other Missouri site is. Is Riverside still an option?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I know Lane 4 is involved in the redevlopment of Metro North Mall through another deal.  There is plenty of land on that site for a stadium (although the location is too far north IMO).  On the Kansas side I'm pretty sure Lenexa is still being considered.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

jlbomega wrote: I know Lane 4 is involved in the redevlopment of Metro North Mall  (although the location is too far north IMO). 
I agree, but it would be far better than Desoto or Gardner.  Bannister is my first choice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"very integrated"?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/columnis ... 21163.html
The mayor’s task force that is studying the issue is expected to make its recommendations by the end of the summer. Sharp said he was concerned that some City Council members may follow the mayor’s edict and refuse to consider important proposals like this one.

During the delay, the Wizards may look elsewhere.

“The Olathe Wizards just doesn’t sound that good to me,” Sharp said. “We can’t put projects on hold. The Wizards need a place to play, and it’s unrealistic to say, ‘We’re on vacation,’ or, ‘We’re temporarily closed. Come back next month.
Blowing a second opportunity to redevelop the area with a solid anchor like the Wizards could end up becoming a major political blunder this town just doesn’t need.

If Funk blows this, I will never forgive him and remember it every day I drive past our suburban ghetto along 435.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Summer officially ends on September 20 or 21 and the plan Funk wants should be in place by then.  And it would appear that this project would be one he would accept as the "first" proposal he stated he wanted to see when the process restarts.  It would be some time before the council would review this proposal since it has to be reviewed by the TIF Commission and others before it can pass judgement.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't see why such a thing requires public investment at all. They'll build a stadium wherever we give them space. All the city needs to be on the hook for, imo, is demolishing the existing buildings at Bannister.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

bahua wrote: I don't see why such a thing requires public investment at all. They'll build a stadium wherever we give them space. All the city needs to be on the hook for, imo, is demolishing the existing buildings at Bannister.

Exactly.  What is the economic return on a soccer stadium anyway?  Has to be negative relative to the investment.

If you build a huge soccer park used for regional tourneys, I guess that's one thing.  But anyway, that area over by Bannister is dreadful.  I won't go to any games if they're moved to that area.  I suppose I don't go to many now anyway, but I'd go if it were in Lenexa or somewhere not so low-rent.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

People said the same thing about the Dot before VW.  Not that this is on the scale of that, but damn, it has the potential to anchor a major area of south KC and help support the office developments already south of the Mall area.  It is also perfectly situated for drawing people from both JOCO and East KC (Lee's Summit & BS).  Beyond the dead mall and related retail plats this area is not "dreadful."  I would venture a guess that you will be in the minority of people who will not visit the stadium becasue of the location.   
Maitre D wrote:
Exactly.  What is the economic return on a soccer stadium anyway?  Has to be negative relative to the investment.

If you build a huge soccer park used for regional tourneys, I guess that's one thing.  But anyway, that area over by Bannister is dreadful.  I won't go to any games if they're moved to that area.  I suppose I don't go to many now anyway, but I'd go if it were in Lenexa or somewhere not so low-rent.