Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by mister816 »

honest question. do we really want the city to be in charge of the park. i cant think of any benefits, it would just end up being a graffiti filled homeless bedroom
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mister816 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:41 pm honest question. do we really want the city to be in charge of the park. i cant think of any benefits, it would just end up being a graffiti filled homeless bedroom
As long as the city does not maintain and program the park, it will be fine. I agree, KCMO is just simply terrible at general maintenance of basic infrastructure especially parks/recreation. So they will need to turn that over to a third party organization. Similar to what happened with the Zoo.

On a side note, I really wished the Royals Stadium were further along so that this could be more incorporated into whatever happens with the stadium.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

GRID wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:18 pm
mister816 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:41 pm honest question. do we really want the city to be in charge of the park. i cant think of any benefits, it would just end up being a graffiti filled homeless bedroom
As long as the city does not maintain and program the park, it will be fine. I agree, KCMO is just simply terrible at general maintenance of basic infrastructure especially parks/recreation. So they will need to turn that over to a third party organization. Similar to what happened with the Zoo.

On a side note, I really wished the Royals Stadium were further along so that this could be more incorporated into whatever happens with the stadium.
Concur. I think it makes sense for the city to own it, but need a separate (new?) entity for maintenance/programming.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

There are only two *ownership* options: MoDOT or KCMO.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Our city picks and chooses which parks they want to keep nice.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:38 pm There are only two *ownership* options: MoDOT or KCMO.
I'd trust neither to maintain this park but modot is out of the question. I mean, just look at 70. They just flat out don't care
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Noahfleshman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:17 pm Our city picks and chooses which parks they want to keep nice.
Not really. The nice ones have conservancies. It's not a conspiracy.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

mister816 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:10 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:38 pm There are only two *ownership* options: MoDOT or KCMO.
I'd trust neither to maintain this park but modot is out of the question. I mean, just look at 70. They just flat out don't care
Just to be clear Dave, ownership and maintenance are two different things right?

- Maintaining: An entity capable of managing the park’s cleanliness, safety, programming and public art. Likely an independent nonprofit (potentially managed by the Downtown Council)

-Ownership: An entity capable of managing the infrastructure, bridges and roadways under the park. Likely the city or MoDot
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

All while Penn Valley rots.
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

homeless mecca
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:43 pm All while Penn Valley rots.
Penn Valley Park has a conservancy too.

https://www.facebook.com/PennValleyPark/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:42 pm
mister816 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:10 pm
Just to be clear Dave, ownership and maintenance are two different things right?

- Maintaining: An entity capable of managing the park’s cleanliness, safety, programming and public art. Likely an independent nonprofit (potentially managed by the Downtown Council)

-Ownership: An entity capable of managing the infrastructure, bridges and roadways under the park. Likely the city or MoDot
Yes.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looks like that Penn Valley conservancy must be in limbo.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

moderne wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:39 am Looks like that Penn Valley conservancy must be in limbo.
I know One Park Place residents offered to take over maintenance and security of most of the west end of the park and were rejected. Not sure how that's any different than this proposed new park managed by Cordish, but it was.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too bad. The bridle on The Scout has been mostly torn off. Statue should be removed to the Nelson for safekeeping and replaced with a fiberglass replica.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

moderne wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:23 pm Too bad. The bridle on The Scout has been mostly torn off. Statue should be removed to the Nelson for safekeeping and replaced with a fiberglass replica.
Good lord. Please report to the Mayor. Was it stolen for the bronze/ copper value?

We had a problem like that in an overgrown urban park in Connecticut. The war memorial "local sons" death-markers were copper and were being pried off of their concrete mounts and showing up in local scrap shops who thankfully still had one iota of morality and refused to melt them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, cameras must be installed in scrap shops to record people showing up trying to sell stolen materials and sellers should have to provide ID to sell scrap. This way you have a record of people showing up repeatedly with suspicious items or quantities of scrap over time.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Pretty bleak assessment here, and as a longtime downtown resident, can't say I disagree. City leadership really needs to prioritize quality of life in the urban core. Walkability, pedestrian and public safety, green space, streetscape, bike lanes are actual things that people want (knowingly or unknowingly), and yet we treat them as cute little side projects. The downstream effects of solving for walkability are real, and an actual(attainable) way to make a dent in the more entrenched societal problems.

Like it or not, we have a lot of public money invested in downtown. If we don't get serious about making it an attractive place for people to live, the economic health and viability of the entire city/metro area is at risk.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/doom-loo ... R9SeHo72pX

http://downtownrecovery.com/dashboards/ ... nking.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

UMKCroo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:58 pm Pretty bleak assessment here, and as a longtime downtown resident, can't say I disagree. City leadership really needs to prioritize quality of life in the urban core.
I don’t disagree with your suggestion, but I’m not sure it’s as bleak as you might state. Coastal cities have been running with high corporate presence and residential demand. While we will likely lose business activity in our core, our residential is just now growing to meet that loss. There should be an evening factor.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The downtownrecovery data doesn't differentiate between daytime and evening
http://downtownrecovery.com/dashboards/text_pages.html