Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Midtownkid »

FangKC wrote:
pash wrote:Yeah, the traffic on Bellevue and Roanoke/Madison is very unfriendly to pedestrians there. But that's solvable, and who knows, it might actually get solved as the Polsinelli/West Edge come online and bring some more activity to that corner of the Plaza. Did we every figure out who owns the grassy field north of Roanoke at 47th? That would seem to be one of the city's prime greenfield sites. ...
Highwoods owns the grassy triangle plot north of 47th Street.
That is a prime spot for a thoughtful, mixed use project. Whole Foods, other retail, apartments and offices. Could be a series of buildings, stepping up as they ascend the hill. Kind of like a more attractive version of the West Edge
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, that spot is ripe for redevelopment. I think the right architectural design could make a big statement there. It's an odd-shaped parcel, but one can see many great examples of triangular shaped structures in Europe and New York City. Sometimes this kind of parcel can actually create a more special focus than a traditional square lot.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:Yeah, that spot is ripe for redevelopment. I think the right architectural design could make a big statement there. It's an odd-shaped parcel, but one can see many great examples of triangular shaped structures in Europe and New York City. Sometimes this kind of parcel can actually create a more special focus than a traditional square lot.
And - because parking always comes up - there are knockout panels on the south face of the garage that Bernstein-Rein is in.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The new Bo Lings on the Plaza in KC. With dim sum, street grill and noodle bar. Quite a step up from the beloved orig.
https://twitter.com/partmax/status/2126 ... 65/photo/1
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks sharp for Plaza type places. But for all that effort into the decor, the ceiling sure is plain.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Lockton’s Plaza lease extension gets Kansas City aid after all
An ordinance scheduled to go before the Kansas City Planning, Zoning & Economic Development Committee on Wednesday calls for the city to issue $13 million in Chapter 100 bonds to support the insurance brokerage’s decision to extend its lease on the Plaza.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

earthling wrote:Looks sharp for Plaza type places. But for all that effort into the decor, the ceiling sure is plain.
If I'm admiring the ceiling, then I've had too much Tsing Tao.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

loftguy wrote:
earthling wrote:Looks sharp for Plaza type places. But for all that effort into the decor, the ceiling sure is plain.
If I'm admiring the ceiling, then I've had too much Tsing Tao.

:lol:
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Went for lunch. The place looks pretty good as Asian contemp goes. And the ceiling for most part is the exposed black duct thing, with white ceiling over bar - looks good.

Was hoping the food quality would be an upgrade from old Bolings location but it wasn't. Compared to SE Asian, Chinese is kind of boring but this was pretty bland. I had a ginger spinach/shrimp/chicken on rice thing that was just OK. Friend did moo shu shrimp and it was pretty bad. No bamboo shoots, cabbage was soggy as if a week old or canned, served with burned plum sauce. The old location always had a problem burning the plum sauce. Oh well, it has a wide menu and maybe they do something well, but places with large menus tend not to do any item well. City Market location seemed better but can't base on one visit. For mainland Chinese, Blue Koi is more interesting as it's a fusion with other things.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The owners of Kansas Sampler are setting up a pop-up store on the Plaza for the All-Star Game called "Majestic Baseball Store"

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/25/36 ... t-new.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I put this on twitter but seems like they should have done this in the P&L as well....seems like a no brainer.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:I put this on twitter but seems like they should have done this in the P&L as well....seems like a no brainer.
I can't fathom how Cordish doesn't have a KC gift store in the empty slot between Cosentino's and the nail salon. With minimal build out, they could pay some clerk peanuts to sell BBQ sauce and baseball caps.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgh7676 wrote:Last May a worker at the REI in St. Louis mentioned to me that a KC store was in the works. Of course, that doesn't mean much coming from a worker, but I've had my fingers crossed. Moosejaw is just as good imo, although I have never been to one of their brick and mortar stores... Hope Local Yeti is prepared for some competition.
Kevin Collison reports on Twitter REI is coming to the KC Metro area. Doesn't say where.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:Biz Journal says on 135th in OP..

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ansas.html
I'm a bit surprised they've chosen a location so far from everywhere else. I just don't get it. I can understand not being on the Plaza (being an outdoor outfitter--although it seems to suit Moosejaw), but surely there are more desirable locations than 135th and Lamar--in the extreme southern portion of the metro.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

That is disappointing. I was dreaming of an REI anchoring P&L retail (how awesome would a large rock climbing wall on the roof of the building be downtown).... That same development already has a Backwoods and had another outdoor store that went out of business a few weeks ago.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

Sad. REI should definitely be an urban store.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't think REI has a lot of urban stores in metro areas that aren't traditional outdoor meccas (i.e. snow skiing, hiking, etc.). But if the Austin area can support three stores, including a downtown store, maybe there's still hope. Whoever is in charge of leases at the Prairiefire development is doing a great job at getting some quality businesses. I know that JoCo has great demographics, but it makes one wonder if the leasing agents for P&L and Mission Gateway just don't have what it takes to make impressionable relationships with the REIs, Fresh Markets, etc. of the world.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Retailers often consider income within nearby radius as the highest factor. Downtown income is going up quite a bit but isn't nearly at the level of Plaza area (including Ward Parkway/Mission Hills) or S JoCo.

There's already MooseJaw/NorthFace on the Plaza, no surprise they went for S JoCo.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I don't get REI, really, at least around here. In the midwest I guess it's for people who pretend they are far more outdoorsy than they are and think they are about to embark on an outdoorsy kick (or like a single vacation) and need new expensive equipment. I don't know. It looks good going into a clean german made car or subaru. I get 90% of my stuff from Cabelas or Bass Pro. I guess my philosophy is just to get outside, and don't perseverate over gear much. Living in the midwest, just getting to someplace worth getting to is enough of a challenge. People asking snooty questions about a $65,999 ultra light pack frame on a nice saturday morning is like the opposite of that.

However an urban store would be fun. Outdoorsy shops in urban locations are fun, I like to go to them and buy not outdoors stuff (or like a camelbak for booze).
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.