Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by DaveKCMO »

New renders won't show road closures (at the direction of the city) until a traffic study is completed.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

To Dave’s point there is now an official design that preserves the street grid. It’s basically option B but with walnut connecting through the park.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The more I've been thinking about it, they've got to take advantage of that terrace and do something with it. At first it was looking good, then on the new renderings it's basically the same as the rest of the park except it's on a slope. So uncreative. They had it right the first time.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

How long do we have to wait to see the new renderings?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:13 pm How long do we have to wait to see the new renderings?
Probably late summer/September
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:46 pm The more I've been thinking about it, they've got to take advantage of that terrace and do something with it. At first it was looking good, then on the new renderings it's basically the same as the rest of the park except it's on a slope. So uncreative. They had it right the first time.
Yeah. If they waste that elevation change, this will such a lost opportunity.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:36 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:46 pm The more I've been thinking about it, they've got to take advantage of that terrace and do something with it. At first it was looking good, then on the new renderings it's basically the same as the rest of the park except it's on a slope. So uncreative. They had it right the first time.
Yeah. If they waste that elevation change, this will such a lost opportunity.
Agreed. That's the big differentiator here.

Look forward to what the traffic study says as I'm actually open to some closures to make a better park experience. If it doesn't include frequent Grand closures though it's worthless.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would like to see a large oversized colorful sculpture on or in front of the slope. I say colorful because chrome or stainless would just blend into the already built environment. Something that would make a statement and a sense of place.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

let's just get the damn thing done. all open through streets fine by me. Whatever is built their will be complaints. But in the end it will be a great project and help to continue to transform downtown & connect it more seamlessly to the Crossroads and points South.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:24 pm let's just get the damn thing done. all open through streets fine by me. Whatever is built their will be complaints. But in the end it will be a great project and help to continue to transform downtown & connect it more seamlessly to the Crossroads and points South.
It's kind of funny, your response to the slow pace and constant changes is "just get on with it!" and when I saw the new changes, I just thought "oh, forget it!".
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I'm not sure why there's complaining about the pace on this. They've been moving along fine and at the exact pace they told us they would in order to get this thing done in 2026.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:47 pm I'm not sure why there's complaining about the pace on this. They've been moving along fine and at the exact pace they told us they would in order to get this thing done in 2026.
Never trust the timeline of a developer. If they’re shooting for 2026, it will be 2027, or they’ll have just the cap and will be throwing down sod trying to beat the World Cup.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:43 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:47 pm I'm not sure why there's complaining about the pace on this. They've been moving along fine and at the exact pace they told us they would in order to get this thing done in 2026.
Never trust the timeline of a developer. If they’re shooting for 2026, it will be 2027, or they’ll have just the cap and will be throwing down sod trying to beat the World Cup.
Private development, absolutely you’re right.

But as far as these public projects have gone? Airport got done ahead of time. Streetcar appears to be going ahead of time. As far as I’ve been following public projects they’ve done great with their timeline following. I could be wrong!! So don’t skewer me.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This project has been discussed for probably 15+ years at this point. I’m sorry but I am not holding my breath right now
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It took over three years to build Klyde Warren Park in Dallas and that was build time, not design time. Of course that park was a much more involved project that basically rebuilt everything in the corridor except the driving lanes of the highway and created an actual tunnel.

I still don't understand the KC project at all. It's like they are just going to build lids over the highway between the existing bridges or something. Will these lids have gaps on all fours sides for ventilation? Even though Klyde Warren Park was a more invasive and comprehensive rebuild and is a ventilated sealed tunnel, it cost half what the KC park is projected to cost.

I hope it happens, but I still have a lot of questions and having any of it finished by 2026 seems like a longshot still.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah this project is losing me. It's not really a cap or a park.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 pm It took over three years to build Klyde Warren Park in Dallas and that was build time, not design time. Of course that park was a much more involved project that basically rebuilt everything in the corridor except the driving lanes of the highway and created an actual tunnel.

I still don't understand the KC project at all. It's like they are just going to build lids over the highway between the existing bridges or something. Will these lids have gaps on all fours sides for ventilation? Even though Klyde Warren Park was a more invasive and comprehensive rebuild and is a ventilated sealed tunnel, it cost half what the KC park is projected to cost.

I hope it happens, but I still have a lot of questions and having any of it finished by 2026 seems like a longshot still.
So I’ve asked the project teams about this and they’ve told me they’re building a tunnel with ventilation fans on the edges of the park

* I’m not an engineer and I obviously don’t have the final design specs
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:08 pm
GRID wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 pm It took over three years to build Klyde Warren Park in Dallas and that was build time, not design time. Of course that park was a much more involved project that basically rebuilt everything in the corridor except the driving lanes of the highway and created an actual tunnel.

So I’ve asked the project teams about this and they’ve told me they’re building a tunnel with ventilation fans on the edges of the park

* I’m not an engineer and I obviously don’t have the final design specs
That is the first I have heard that, so that's good.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm surprised everyone is so happy about protecting the street grid. I know cars always win in KC, but this isn't super exciting to me.