OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I know we talked about it earlier but I am still confused by the weird no-door room on the northeast corner.  If they were just going to cover the opening with opaque glass why did they need to construct a room behind it?  Couldn't they have just put the glass on the outer wall?  Perhaps there is going to be some sort of light effect through the glass? 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I was thinking either lighting, or an electronic signage kind of thing for the theater.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I was talking to one of the construction workers yesterday and they said it would be filled with diffrent colored lights that will move behind the glass.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The pavers are regular staggered mid-block but an interesting herringbone at the intersections.  They have an elevator/scaffold now on the entire length of the east facade of the theatre.  The granite should go on quickly now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If you get a chance, go by the HQ at night down main....they have a lot of cool lighting features in the lobby and I don't think they are done...it looks like they have wiring hanging on the outside around the 2nd floor....maybe a ribbon screen to come? 

Anyways, they have a cool hallway that is completely LED lights that change color.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I know we talked about it earlier but I am still confused by the weird no-door room on the northeast corner.  If they were just going to cover the opening with opaque glass why did they need to construct a room behind it?  Couldn't they have just put the glass on the outer wall?  Perhaps there is going to be some sort of light effect through the glass? 
I think I saw some pictures of that section of the HRBlock development before the walls went up. The interior of the bottom floor looks something like a small auditorium, with poured concrete tiers for stadium seating. If that is what it is, then there might not be windows on the structure. You can see this on page 55 of the HRBlock construction photos thread.
Last edited by advocrat on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCPowercat wrote: they have a cool hallway that is completely LED lights that change color.
I thougt that was pretty cool.

Image               Image               Image
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we walked right in the lobby last night at around 7 PM. doors were unlocked, no security in sight until we poked around for a bit, stared at the LED lightshow, and walked out the door... THEN we were asked "can i help you?"

anyway, the LED thing is pretty cool. it's a map of the world and the ocean areas are made up of city names. it was really weird being inside when we'd been watching from afar for all these months.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I like the pavers, I like the Michigan Ave style tree wells where trees can actually grow, however the sidewalks are way way too narrow.  On the west side there is only space for 2 people to walk side by side between the tree planter box and the retaining wall in front of the building.  If 2 people walking abreast encounter another, someone is going to have to get out of the way.  Why weren't the sidewalks made much wider?  This is an area where they want crowds of people strolling about.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

They have installed the mounts for what I would imagine will be a very large KC Rep. sign on the blank north wall of the theater
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Rep is to open February 2 with "Love, Janis"--Joplin, that is.  It has 320 seats with stadium seating and infrared assisted hearing device system for those with impairments.  There will be 2 restaurants within the building.  An elevator will take patrons from the parking garage directly to the lobby.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Canopy over entrance to building being hung today.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

moderne wrote:     Canopy over entrance to building being hung today.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's hope they add something to that large beige brick wall in the 2nd picture....even just a KC Rep type ad would help break that up...but I'm hoping for something electronic.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Why so many garage doors?  It is very unfortunate that so much street level sidewalk space is wasted on service entrances in this city.  Put it in an alley.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think 2 of those are for the actual garage and then for the rep and H&R block...the way they tied together the rep building and H&R, where would you put an alley?  The rep is going to need a place to load/unload sets.

These buildings still have to function, I think we can handle walking by a couple garage doors....hell, they cool down my walks.

WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

KCPowercat wrote: I think 2 of those are for the actual garage and then for the rep and H&R block...the way they tied together the rep building and H&R, where would you put an alley?  The rep is going to need a place to load/unload sets.

These buildings still have to function, I think we can handle walking by a couple garage doors....hell, they cool down my walks.
Overhead Door must be making a killing this season.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Service functions could be made more interesting if people would accept them as part of the city instead of pretending they're the family drunk.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I have to say, the brick accent on the HRB building really looks good.  I had my doubts but the end product is pretty nice.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Yeah it was design thought out in Overland Park. Beige strip mall gulags?