OFFICIAL: The College Basketball Experience (NABC Hall of Fame) building design

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame building design

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: I wish they'd expand the NABC tourney by 4 more teams.  You'd have 8 then, and it'd feel more like a "tournament" than a couple games.

Have a banquet at the NABC on SAT nite, play sun-tue nite.  3 guaranteed games each.  Since it's T-giving week anyway, people would view a MON nite game differently b/c nobody works that week anyway.
I think they already have that many teams, they just play the first round on campus sites.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

This is the way that most tournaments are done today on the college level Usualy the first round of play does not draw that many fans. The second and third round is the heaviest dray of fans, Making the SC a good place to hold the last two rounds.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: I think they already have that many teams, they just play the first round on campus sites.
Actually I think it's 16, the 4 big "host" teams get 2 pasties before coming to KC.  I think.

You get what i was talking about.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Man I like this building infinitely better than I thought I would when I saw the renderings.
Definitely.  The end result isn't nearly as disappointing as the renderings were.  It's nothing amazing, but it's not an eyesore and does a few interesting things.  I like it.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Funny.  No pictures of the great, wonderful looking east side.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Funny.  No pictures of the great, wonderful looking east side.
huh?  the east side goes up to the court of appeals building and parking.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: huh?  the east side goes up to the court of appeals building and parking.
There is an east side to the building.  Just look.  What do you think abuts the parking lot of the court?
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

AKP it's really dark on that side, not the easiest pic to get accessibility wise right now, and frankly there's not much there to take a pic of on that side.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He's digging at something, just not sure what it is.

spill it akp, what do you want to nag on now?  We are all dying to know your opinion on how unsuccessful it will be.

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Kelvin Sampson? lame...even if he was NABC Coach of the Year in 2002 (per wiki).
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

In the daytime it looks rather dull and lifeless, a big blank wall you cannot miss driving down 13th St.  Basically, just talking about the building not the success of the hall.

But since you brought it up, awhile back I already stated what this hall will probably do.  Face it, Hall of Fames do not generally do well except for the football and baseball.  At one time even the Rock and Roll wasn't doing very well if memory is correct.  Yes it will have spurts of business but most of the time the facility will be very unbusy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There you go....true to form.  Unbusy does not equal lack of success.  NLBM is very successful I believe, when I'm there it's not packed....it's all how the NABC runs it and promotes it.  Gotta love your instant lay down KC attitude though.  You've been trained well.

As far as the building...as has been discussed here...it is a hall of fame / museum type building with exhibits....blank walls are needed inside for that type of setup.  I like how it looks in contrast with the windowed sprint center...but I kind of have industrialized tastes...I could see how it could turn some people off....banners, etc. promoting the interior would help I think.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

It is not a KC attitude, just stating what is happening at other Hall of Fames, and not just in KC.

With regards to the NLBM and the JHofF, been in both and by there a few more times.  True, there is unbusy and there is unbusy but if it wasn't for the groups I have been in, for the middle of the afternoons on nice days the other patrons (and I am assuming paying customers) could be safely counted on one hand.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well if it wasn't for customers, every business would be empty.  That's the silliest thing I've read from you.  Museums/hall of fames/etc. type buildings depend on groups during business days....come on.

I went to the HoF in Canton, pretty empty when I was there...guess it's a failure. 

This HoF will all depend on how it's ran by the NABC.  I think it will be a good unique draw...of course the olden locals have already written it off...big surprise. 

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Basically, many have said that the hall will be the best thing to happen since slice bread.  Like others talked about Science City, the New Zoo, and other attractions, locally and nationwide.  My counter is that it will not be the Home Run that wins the game, but more like the single that won't lead to a run - a small hit instead of an out.

Will the NABC close its doors after a year or two or will it constantly be in a fund raising mode so it doesn't close.  NO.  But it will not be the draw that many expect it will be or want it to be or hyped to be.  Just like the Sprint Center.  Will it be a failure with just 100 event days a year that its management is expecting it will have without a major team tenant.  NO.  But it won't have the 150 to 200 event days per year with crowds averaging 15,000 or more that some predicted or want it to have or what some hyped.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Stained glass to replace the basketball building. Cool! Whoever would have thought it would look so good.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Is AKP really bitching about the appearance of the portion of a building that faces the back alley?  I am sure that all of the folks that like to hang out in the COA parking lot will be terribly disapointed with the architecture and promptly decide to never come back DT.  &&&&
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Basically, many have said that the hall will be the best thing to happen since slice bread.  Like others talked about Science City, the New Zoo, and other attractions, locally and nationwide.  My counter is that it will not be the Home Run that wins the game, but more like the single that won't lead to a run - a small hit instead of an out.
Just because you've never hit a home run doesn't mean you have to troll here with your insanely pessimistic comments about EVERY SINGLE PROJECT taking place downtown.  Go out and take some batting practice instead.  That is, if you can still pick up a bat.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KC needs to SELL OUT these tourney games each November.  I go every year and I'm impressed every year. Come on people, it's freaking awesome that we get these caliber of programs in here.  I was sitting courtside and Coach K & Bobby Knight walked by me the same nite. 

You can't even get that at Allen FH, not even counting the 10K/yr in donations.

We draw about 5-7K  (about 8K for the Duke-Marquette game) for these games.  UNACCEPTABLE.  Now that it's in the Sprint Center, I'm expecting 13-14K.  Esp. with the HOF right next door.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin