We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Sorry but I think flight prices and and times outweigh amenities of airport by like 1000% for that situation. Just my opinion though.
there's certainly people that are like this, but why only serve people which buy on cost?

why not sell on class? we want to gain more high value businesses to locate to KC. having a VIP lounge inside security to wait in and walk to the gate last minute has value to the business traveler that isn't quite rich enough to afford a private plane. and with the current gate setup that kind of business traveler amenity can not be done well.

I flew out of Charlotte for a 6am flight (bad time choices overall). the number of business travelers, you can always tell based on dress, that were standing in line for coffee was very high because you can't take most food and liquid through security. think about that aspect of where the amenities are in KC.
I'm all for a new terminal but this doesn't seem like a very good argument for one.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

im2kull wrote:
MidtownCat wrote:His plan relies on fantasy. Any real business traveler that uses MCI at any reasonable rate of frequency, especially Delta or SW out of Terminal B, knows this is completely untrue.
Any real business traveler doesn't fly SW. Maybe that's your problem?

MidtownCat wrote: im2kull doesn't fly much, which is brutally evident based on his ridiculous string of posts in this thread.
I've got nearly a half million skymiles and an astronomical amount of segments that say your wrong. Add in another 30k dividend miles to boot. I've even donated away 20k dividend miles this year too. What's your mileage??
:lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Did someone really just brag on their dividend miles as evidence that they are the big Dick flyer of the board?
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

We knew im2kull was a big dick flyer when he dropped that he's "never had a delay at KCI, ever".

The half million skymiles and an astronomical amount of segments just cemented it.
Last edited by MidtownCat on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:Did someone really just brag on their dividend miles as evidence that they are the big Dick flyer of the board?
Want to meet somewhere and fight pal???
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Look to the cities flown to from these smaller airports. For many people in the areas away from KC I would imagine they would choose to drive to one of these airports instead of KCI. Of course it all depends on the final destination but let's say you live in Nevada MO you might prefer driving to Joplin instead of KCI.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:
LenexatoKCMO wrote:Did someone really just brag on their dividend miles as evidence that they are the big Dick flyer of the board?
Want to meet somewhere and fight pal???
Dude I get triple miles on my capital one. /Thread over.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just sayin'
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Hitler, whatnot, and so on...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:Just sayin'
What does all that translate too? How much "money" are all those miles worth? I only have Southwest points and never really understood how miles worked or what their real value was.

I have tons of Southwest points, but most of them are not from flights, but from using Southwest credit cards.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No idea It's not mine. :-)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Just sayin'
What does all that translate too? How much "money" are all those miles worth? I only have Southwest points and never really understood how miles worked or what their real value was.

I have tons of Southwest points, but most of them are not from flights, but from using Southwest credit cards.
you actually can find out quite easily

go to their website, search for any flight and between the little calendar and the list of flights is a toggle for dollars to points

so you can see the flight you might take and how many points it would take

I ran two flights and points per dollar is
business select:105/106
normal: 87/88
cheap: 56/59
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

On Southwest, one point = 1.4 cents
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

MidtownCat wrote:On Southwest, one point = 1.4 cents
nope.

my numbers are the math from exact flights scheduled for September

it takes more points per dollar the more perks a flight comes with, like being refundable
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

giant line for a SWA gate. Image
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

At least we can rest assured that there are no real business travelers in that line.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

phuqueue wrote:At least we can rest assured that there are no real business travelers in that line.
they're obviously at the end of the line because they tried to get to the airport last minute because it's such a short walk to the gate
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote:giant line for a SWA gate. Image
Yea, and when those lines are long, they don't move fast at all. They have one or two TSA lines and that's it. You also have like 3-4 feet of concourse for others moving through the terminal. so when a flight arrives and dumps people into that very narrow walkway, it's comical how tiny the airport feels.

That's after you just waited in a similar line for baggage check which also often extends clear out into the concourse walkways. Love how you have to drag your bags back from the baggage check counter through all the people in line and throw them into a pile that's also halfway into the concourse.

Then, once on the other side of the wall, seating is often full, people on the floors, the tiny temporary bathrooms are filthy, smell throughout the gates and have long lines.

And the short walk can be a confusing mess of trying to figure where you gate is. The gates at SW are all connected with hamster corridors and temp walls with terrible signage to tell you where to go.

It's either this or the place is a freaking ghost town with nobody anywhere, almost no businesses to buy food or other items.

But at least KCI will have valet parking for like $26 bucks a day! You pay less than that to park across the street from most huge airport terminals.

Yea, KCI really shines and gives a great impression for KC.

I will give KCI props. Once you land, you are out the door and on the curb faster than any place in the country. Unless you have checked bags, then you are once again, standing in the main concourse waiting around a tiny carrousel for what seems like a very long time for bags to come from 100 feet away.

And the convenience of that short walk is quickly forgotten if you have to catch a cab (find the phone somewhere in the terminal after you see there are no cabs outside, find where the cab will show up, hope somebody else doesn’t get the cab you called)... or rent a car (drag your luggage to the narrow island in the middle of the road where there are few crosswalks near the rental car shuttle stops and wait for a ride to a sprawling rental car facility where the cars are in giant un covered lots (great in bad weather! and often some pretty good hiking involved by the time you get your car. But least the rental car facility is post 1975!

KCI is great if you are alone, your flight is on time, you have a ride, you don't check bags, you live close and can get there quickly before a flight departs, there are no delays and you avoid southwest during peak hours.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

GRID wrote:KCI is great if you are alone, your flight is on time, you have a ride, you don't check bags, you live close and can get there quickly before a flight departs, there are no delays and you avoid southwest during peak hours.
+1. I've arrived 45 minutes before departure on my Southwest flight before and almost missed it because of lines. I've also arrived 30 minutes before departure at LAX and made my gate with plenty of time.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

bobbyhawks wrote:
GRID wrote:KCI is great if you are alone, your flight is on time, you have a ride, you don't check bags, you live close and can get there quickly before a flight departs, there are no delays and you avoid southwest during peak hours.
+1. I've arrived 45 minutes before departure on my Southwest flight before and almost missed it because of lines. I've also arrived 30 minutes before departure at LAX and made my gate with plenty of time.
Given Southwest's popularity, I'm sure they'd like to be able to expand into additional gates to better handle peak capacity. However, since they (and every other airline at KCI) effectively have to take a group of gates due to the shoehorning of the security apparatus into the layout of the terminals, they can't just take/share an additional gate or two at peak times, as would be possible at...virtually every single other decent-sized airport in the country.

(Cue im2kull saying that Southwest, Frontier and Spirit should all move over to Terminal A so they can have access to more gates while simultaneously being segregated from any true business travelers like him.)

On the other extreme, I've been through airports in Europe where you go through security at the gate immediately prior to boarding, but I'm guessing that model won't be implemented in the US any time soon.