OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote: Love everything but he orange seats. Did Julia dig those out of storage from the first remodel of Royals Stadium?
:lol:
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I am impressed so far with the landscaping.  They appear to be using a lot of xerophilic plants.  With a few years growth this structure will appear to spring out of a forested hilltop.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

The PAC needs to get Robert Gupta/Joshua Roman... astounding.  Methinks Joshua Roman did William Jewell series a couple years ago.  Is time to come back and in new PAC.

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_gupta_a ... aglia.html
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

From the Kauffman Facebook page.  Are the grounds open to the public yet?  The garage is still not finished right?  How's it looking?  This entry path part looks pretty nice.

Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Is there room still for the third hall? I believe the PAC was going to build that hall at a later date.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I think the third hall idea was scrapped all together, even the small 'flex' black box theater they were considering. 

It looks like a hall could still be placed to the east of the complex, where the third hall was originally proposed.  That space is still empty at ground level. Underground I believe there is some backstage stuff.

By the way, does anyone know if the face of the parking garage is going to actually be exposed like this?  Will it appear as a wall or as an underground structure with a sloping lawn?  Those window openings are worrying me:

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Pork Chop wrote: Is there room still for the third hall? I believe the PAC was going to build that hall at a later date.
Yes, there is still room.  The director stated that there is still hope for its eventual construction.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

voltopt wrote: Yes, there is still room.  The director stated that there is still hope for its eventual construction.
It is a wonderful structure as is, but the third hall would greatly enhance it.  Just a little too abrupt on both sides, having one side of the structure dropping off gradually to the east as in the original rendering would be an improvement. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

moderne wrote: http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Ar ... or-dignity
check out the slideshow
Funny, they don't mention the West Edge.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

What is the brown material on the ground around the building?  Mulch?  Gravel?  Is it the permanent look?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Great view of the PAC in the photo accompanying this article.

http://inkkc.com/content/gregory-crains ... y-up-high/
There is no fifth destination.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Great view of the PAC in the photo accompanying this article.

That really was stunning.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

FangKC wrote: Great view of the PAC in the photo accompanying this article.

I went to school with that guy.  The second classmate in a week who's had an article written on them in Ink.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I'd love to see some photo updates of the garage, etc.  Anyone been by the complex recently? 

Hope it's looking good...and something close to these renderings!

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

We walked by along the south end of the construction site last week, immediately west of  Webster House, and had a really difficult time understanding how it was going to interact with the Crossroads. Hopefully, that will be fixed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AJoD wrote: We walked by along the south end of the construction site last week, immediately west of  Webster House, and had a really difficult time understanding how it was going to interact with the Crossroads. Hopefully, that will be fixed.
Agreed. Walking along the south side of the complex, the garage almost blocks the view of the building. Not sure how that could be remedied...
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

smh wrote: Agreed. Walking along the south side of the complex, the garage almost blocks the view of the building. Not sure how that could be remedied...
Yeah, it was an awful sinking feeling to think that all this investment and beautiful grounds and building might possible result in a gigantic concrete barrier to the north Crossroads. I really hope I'm wrong...was hoping someone would correct me here, rather than reinforce that impression. Hmmm....
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

well if you look at the section above, it seems like in some areas, the grounds are supposed to slope up to meet to 'barrier' that exists now. 

In the area where you enter to the garage, it will obviously continue to be a 'wall'.  The area behind the Webster house appears to be a vertical wall as well.  (I'm surprised they would basically surround the school house with vertical concrete walls...but maybe they will plant vertical greenery on those walls {ivy?}) 

I've circled the areas on this crappy rendering where I think vertical walls will exist...

It appears that in areas where vertical walls exist, lots of trees and bushes will be planted.  Not exactly a perfect solution, but what can they do, i guess.  It's too bad the retail was scrapped (long ago)...that would have been nicer along 17th.