OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by dangerboy »

^ There's one at Village West already... seems like a decent place.  Sounds like the franchisee is planning several stores around the metro.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

dangerboy wrote: ^ There's one at Village West already... seems like a decent place.  Sounds like the franchisee is planning several stores around the metro.
Also one outside the Trek Store in Shawnee.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

They have been poping up all over town.  They have one in Olathe and they just opened a drive through shack one on 87th in front of the original Thai Place in OP.  I don't know if it is all the same franchisee or what but talk about an overnight expansion. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Anybody know what that shack-looking thing on the upper parapet on the east side is?  I keep imagining its the household help for the penthouse.
ralfonso
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ralfonso »

moderne wrote: Anybody know what that shack-looking thing on the upper parapet on the east side is?  I keep imagining its the household help for the penthouse.
..and if it's not for the help, what's the rent?  :D
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A cabin in the sky.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Anyone see Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Pitt and Jolie) ?  There is a scene in the movie where they pan the NY Skyline (I assume it's NY) and they circle a building that is the identical twin to 909 Walnut.  I've searched a few NY Skyscarper sites hoping to find it, but no luck.  Anyone else see it?????
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Waldorf Astoria Hotel
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

I guess it has some very similar elements...both are art deco and feature copper topped twin towers, but I would not call them "identical twins."

Waldorf Astoria:

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID032.htm
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Whats the deal with letting the outside of these beautiful limestone buildings get SO dirty?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WOW!  :shock: Too cool!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Whats the deal with letting the outside of these beautiful limestone buildings get SO dirty?
Are they dirty or is it natural weathering of the limestone that you are seeing.  When rock that is cut from a quarry starts to age, it undergoes a physical change.  Check out the limestone roadcuts around town, the newer ones are gray and the older ones have a much darker appearance.  In Dresden Germany, the native sandstone used for building material is gray at first but turns black with weathering.  When we were there, we thought it was due to years of exposure to pollution but that is not the case; just naturally occurring weathering. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rock isn't "Alive" so it can't really age. It picks up dirt or organinc material from things living on it. Union station is the same type of limestone and they managed to clean it up. They could do the same with that sandstone in Germany. Sound like someone is feeding someone some bull so they don't have to clean a building.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

No, it costs a lot of money to clean sandstone and limestone, one reason why they don't do it. Also, if you want to sandblast a building, you might crush the windows or hurt the ornaments on the building.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

what was the situation with the Professional Building...wasn't that similar?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Look at the striking differences between the Jax Courthouse and City Hall.  The courthouse looks great now that it has been cleaned.  Both are made of the same limestone.  Professional Bldg is terra cotta and must be water or chemically cleaned, never sandblast.
m-nov
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

909 Walnut Rental Units

Post by m-nov »

Hello all --

I've been checking out some rental units in the area and really liked what I saw at 909 Walnut.  I was wondering if anyone here had heard anything - good or bad - about the property and/or management there.  The price per foot seems a little high compared to other downtown units (1.13-1.20) so I thought I'd check out the forum to see if anyone had heard or experienced anything with these guys.

Random FYIs:

After taking a tour last weekend the guide told me they were talking with Panara Bread about having a location on the ground floor retail space, which is currently under construction.

Both penthouse units are still up for sale after talks for the 1.2 million dollar unit fell through.

This Saturday they will be offering free hamburgers from Backyard Burger during the Urban Homes Tour on their rooftop garden.  8)
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

I've lived there since Oct.  All in all I would recommend it and I have been very happy with my decision to live there.  No other property in DTKC that I saw offered the same level of fit and finish in a rental property. The building is just a great building. My only complaint is that I think the staff could respond a little quicker to requests but they are very friendly and professional.  They have been in a process of getting the show on its feet so to speak ever since I moved in, but now almost all construction is done and it is "coming of age," looking like an established property. They just powerwashed the garage and had the windows cleaned by window washers already so that indicates a commitment to keeping the place really nice.  Price per foot is a little higher but I think you'll find that, at least with some units, the use of space is well done and they are efficiently laid out such that a smaller sq footage place will be as livable as a larger sq foot "loft" that has a bunch of unusable open space in it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

f4hondaphile wrote:Price per foot is a little higher but I think you'll find that, at least with some units, the use of space is well done and they are efficiently laid out such that a smaller sq footage place will be as livable as a larger sq foot "loft" that has a bunch of unusable open space in it.
i totally agree, based on what i saw during last year's urban tour. in fact, when i peeked in the model unit's utility closet i noticed the water heater had been set up off the ground to make the space underneath actually usable (instead of leaving the space ABOVE the water heater where mounting a shelf would not be possible due to the water pipes). that's smart thinking!