One Light - 13th & Walnut

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
gem
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Proposed apartment for 13th and Walnut

Post by gem »

grovester wrote:Post the rendering to photobucket and link to it.
Good idea. Thanks! I used Imgur.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Without knowing the full details of the building on the Alamo Drafthouse block, I wish they would wrap the building around the theater.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If Cordish builds a series of apartment buildings to the North of I-670 and South of the current P&L profile, they may be a force behind a proposal to cap the loop. Those apartments would be unreal if there were a linear park along the edge of the South-loop.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Pork Chop wrote:Without knowing the full details of the building on the Alamo Drafthouse block, I wish they would wrap the building around the theater.
If there's a wish list, I'd like to see the building height along the loop vary...maybe the middle one 20 stories, the west 25 and the east 30. Add some details to differentiate between the four buildings (even if just colored cladding) and do a little something to better incorporate street-level activity.

Then again, just being picky.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hmmm. I hope they do not have matching towers that have the same design as it will look like the projects and might look like a wall in front of downtown. And when you do the same design every couple of years, may not actually be exactly the same so you're better off just doing it differently. How to get this suggestion to Cordish?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Pork Chop wrote:Without knowing the full details of the building on the Alamo Drafthouse block, I wish they would wrap the building around the theater.
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps they have plans to put a shorter retail building on the south side of the Mainstreet Theater.

I also hope they use different designs for each building. There needs to be some variety, and not the projects look.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

It appears that there are some new renderings on the Humphrey's website.

There is a new rendering of this building up at this link.

KCDowntown

Also, if you make some adjustments to the images' URLs you can find very large ones too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here's another Humphreys & Partners design for a proposed 25-story student apartment tower in Minneapolis. They could adapt this design a bit for one of the P&L sites south of 14th Street. It might be a bit tall for the sites, and might need to cut down the number of floors depending on how much parking they can create on the site.

If not on those sites, this building might look good on Wyandotte at W. 9th on that surface parking lot next to John's Big Deck, or one of the Kemper parking empire sites in the North Loop.

It actually is a pretty good design for a new downtown hotel, although I wouldn't necessarily plop it next to the old Power & Light tower.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thats an ungainly looking building. Looks like the Marriot annex where the old Muehlbach west wing was with an extension. That funky little peaked tower might be the problem.
I agree that it would be better if future apartment of the "Light" brand had differing designs. Otherwise we may be looking at an effect similar to the old Quality Hill towers updated 6 decades.
Interesting in the latest renderings of One Light how it appears that the tower actually cantilevers over the base above the sidewalk air space. Have to laugh at their wacky perspective with the Boley Building jutting out into the middle of Walnut.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

What is a "home rise" concept?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it probably would look better without the little peaked roof.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:Here's another Humphreys & Partners design for a proposed 25-story student apartment tower in Minneapolis. They could adapt this design a bit for one of the P&L sites south of 14th Street. It might be a bit tall for the sites, and might need to cut down the number of floors depending on how much parking they can create on the site.

If not on those sites, this building might look good on Wyandotte at W. 9th on that surface parking lot next to John's Big Deck, or one of the Kemper parking empire sites in the North Loop.

It actually is a pretty good design for a new downtown hotel, although I wouldn't necessarily plop it next to the old Power & Light tower.

Looks like a church that ate magic beans.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:
Looks like a church that ate magic beans.
I've seen church designs that would look good scaled up. I agree this is not one of them
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Back in '05 during the height of the condo boom there was proposed residential at 8th & Grand that had 2 towers linked by a skybridge at the top. Something like that for 2 & 3 Light could make a monumental gateway to the DT loop and P&L.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote:Back in '05 during the height of the condo boom there was proposed residential at 8th & Grand that had 2 towers linked by a skybridge at the top. Something like that for 2 & 3 Light could make a monumental gateway to the DT loop and P&L.
Thanks for referencing that, Moderne.

That project will be for me always be a key reference point for the "good old days" of the easy money development boom.

Saw a presentation on that project and wondered if those guys had smoked the magic beans. Literally thinking to myself, 'the developer seems pretty goofy....but they sometimes are........and the team around him are credible folks......nahhhhhh'.

Still pass that stretch of Grand, and think....'wouldn't that have been cool?'
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote:....'wouldn't that have been cool?'
Cool beans!

Is it bean:thirty yet?
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

It also looks like the parking question has been answered for the next three buildings. From my understanding of the article, it lseems like they will have an above ground garage with retail on the bottom and the building will be built on top.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Just in case anyone missed this.

The Kansas City Business Journal included an image of the 3 other proposed apartment towers for the power and light district. Seems like Cordish is pretty confident these will eventually be built.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... s-pnl.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LCDSI wrote:Just in case anyone missed this.

The Kansas City Business Journal included an image of the 3 other proposed apartment towers for the power and light district. Seems like Cordish is pretty confident these will eventually be built.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... s-pnl.html
I hope so but they had similar renderings before P&L construction even began....same residential buildings in the same locations.