Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by shaffe »

^^^^

shoppers parkade with the entrance on mcgee is this way too.  i found it really odd until i thought about it and realized that it actually made sense.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Anyone want to create a map illustrating parking garages downtown, with recommended street parking as well that perhaps we could sticky?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

don't know how up to date this is, but this is the Downtown Council's parking/restaurant map for visitors

http://www.downtownkc.org/FileUploads/downtownmap.pdf

From the Downtown Council's website:
Whether you are a first time visitor or local resident who occasionally attends Downtown events, this map will help you locate available parking. When you are attending an event Downtown, consider leaving a few minutes early to find parking. You may also want to consider parking a few blocks away from your destination. Although you may not be able to parking in the garage nearest your venue, be assured that Downtown parking is plentiful. There are nearly 40,000 parking spaces inside the Downtown Loop. Many parking garages are open 24 hours and most will be open to attendees of major events. Availability changes depending on the time of day. Metered, on-street parking is available and free,e venings and weekends. There are also surface lots throughout Downtown.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah there are like 10 different maps out there by different organizations, not sure any of us can make it any more detailed....my suggestion is use Google streetview to get some visual keys if a person is unfamiliar with downtown parking.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

it would be cool if you could roll over a particular parking garage and get hours info, prices, etc.  If anyone wants to put some time into making that happen...  :P
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sounds like a job for Cordish or Standard parking....

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The downtown council's map is the only "official parking map" that us volunteers for the Big 12 will be giving to visitors while at our hotel stations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

every person I help for the Big 12 will be told there is NO parking and take the max or big 12 shuttles :)

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

No kidding!  If it's warmish I will be scoffing at visitors wanting to drive from a loop hotel to sprint!  Walk you overweight Americans!  Walk!!               
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

PumpkinStalker wrote: No kidding!  If it's warmish I will be scoffing at visitors wanting to drive from a loop hotel to sprint!  Walk you overweight Americans!  Walk!!               
as you should.  if they're anywhere in the loop at all they should be walking to the arena, they just might get a little culture in 'em.

just don't send them down 12th, it's torn up pretty good right now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shaffe wrote: just don't send them down 12th, it's torn up pretty good right now.
a lot has been thrown at cordish for not being open by the time the tournament starts... but what about the work the city and utility companies are STILL doing along 12th? will they finish?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

you got me.  12th has been torn up as long as i've been living downtown.  it's only a few months, but it's definitely an annoyance.  almost as annoying as parking on both sides of the street just past the hotel phillips leaving only room for one lane of cars despite two lanes on the other side of the intersection.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I went down to the P&L for lunch yesterday to eat at Chipotle. It was such a nice day, we ate outside. It was about an hour before the Brigade game so people were everywhere walking to Sprint Center. What struck me was this lady that said, "Everywhere around here is charging $10 for parking. It's terrible." At first, I wanted to ask if she's ever been to a Chiefs game but then I walked back to the River Market on Grand, even closer to game time, and I counted at least 8 FREE on-street parking spots within 4 blocks of the arena. I want to know how long they looked for better priced parking or if 4 blocks is too far to walk.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

she could have got validated for $2

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I went down to the P&L for lunch yesterday to eat at Chipotle. It was such a nice day, we ate outside. It was about an hour before the Brigade game so people were everywhere walking to Sprint Center. What struck me was this lady that said, "Everywhere around here is charging $10 for parking. It's terrible." At first, I wanted to ask if she's ever been to a Chiefs game but then I walked back to the River Market on Grand, even closer to game time, and I counted at least 8 FREE on-street parking spots within 4 blocks of the arena. I want to know how long they looked for better priced parking or if 4 blocks is too far to walk.
4 blocks is to far a walk. I have numerous posts on the KC Flight Crew website telling people where free/cheap parking is and they still complain. And they also complained about $6 for valet parking at the arena.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KansasCityCraka wrote: 4 blocks is to far a walk. I have numerous posts on the KC Flight Crew website telling people where free/cheap parking is and they still complain. And they also complained about $6 for valet parking at the arena.
But I'm pretty sure they parked in the H&R Block Garage based on where they were walking so that's 3 blocks.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KansasCityCraka wrote: 4 blocks is to far a walk. I have numerous posts on the KC Flight Crew website telling people where free/cheap parking is and they still complain. And they also complained about $6 for valet parking at the arena.
people need to be realistic.  4 block walk being too far is not realistic.  $6 valet parking is an amazing deal.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: people need to be realistic.  4 block walk being too far is not realistic.  $6 valet parking is an amazing deal.
Four blocks for someone who knows their way around downtown is not far.  Four blocks for someone from the burbs who knows little about downtown may seem a great distance.  But, for a steal like 6$ valet parking, why would you worry about finding a spot.  That's a phenomenal price.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I just checked Truman Sports Complex and it's up to a 1/2 mile walk from the Arrowhead side parking to Royals stadium.  That's 5 blocks with nothing to visit in between.  It's what, $10 to park for Royals? Double for Chiefs.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I went down to the P&L for lunch yesterday to eat at Chipotle. It was such a nice day, we ate outside. It was about an hour before the Brigade game so people were everywhere walking to Sprint Center. What struck me was this lady that said, "Everywhere around here is charging $10 for parking. It's terrible." At first, I wanted to ask if she's ever been to a Chiefs game but then I walked back to the River Market on Grand, even closer to game time, and I counted at least 8 FREE on-street parking spots within 4 blocks of the arena. I want to know how long they looked for better priced parking or if 4 blocks is too far to walk.
I wonder if we passed each other, because I too was at Chipotle around an hour before game time. :)

I drove down because I had a very narrow window of time to grab my late lunch.  I parked for free at 14th & Baltimore, mind you this was with the RV show at Bartle too, and walked a whopping 1.5 blocks to Chipotle. 

Free parking is very, very easy to find.  People are either too afraid to use it or don't think they're allowed to.