Urban laundromats: Real urbanists stand up...

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Urban laundromats: Real urbanists stand up...

Post by Gladstoner »

My $0.02.... You will have to pry my washer and dryer from my cold, dead fingers. Unless I'm on vacation, I refuse to ever use a public laundromat. Engaging in such an activity on a regular basis is not 'urban living', or 'socializing', or 'going out and meeting people'. It is hell on earth. It's like standing in line at the DMV, but you're stuck there for a couple of hours as you manhandle and splay out your dirty laundry for the whole world to see, and then wait until the next geologic epoch for the machines to finish. Now, if I had to use a 'granny cart' to transport my laundry, I think I'd have to stamp a giant 'L' on my forehead and then do like Laverne did on 'Laverne and Shirley' and embroider a giant 'L' on the front of every article of clothing I own. That's just me; it is perfectly fine for anyone else to participate in these pastimes. My dishwasher has sat broken for over a year now, but if my W or D goes out, I'll be up at Sears or wherever in a moment's notice, or I will have to buy new clothes or stretch the 'clirty' concept a little longer until then.
Last edited by Gladstoner on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Like the one time I bothered using the Westport Laundromat when I moved here, it takes like a minute or two to walk between my apartment and there, so I just put the crap in the washer and went home, came back thirty minutes later, but the crap in the dryer, went home...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: Like the one time I bothered using the Westport Laundromat when I moved here, it takes like a minute or two to walk between my apartment and there, so I just put the crap in the washer and went home, came back thirty minutes later, but the crap in the dryer, went home...
Practical and smart, yes. Funny, no.

On the other hand, Gladstoner's post prompted hysterical laughter accompanied by gushing tears.  :D
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: Practical and smart, yes. Funny, no.

On the other hand, Gladstoner's post prompted hysterical laughter accompanied by gushing tears.  :D

I can't be funny 100% of the time.  :P

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote:
I can't be funny 100% of the time.  :P
You're excused this time. You serve in multiple, disparate areas of responsibility.  O:)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

Gladstoner wrote: My $0.02.... You will have to pry my washer and dryer from my cold, dead fingers.

Word.  Going from using public laundry facilities to having my own was like a step on the ladder of evolution.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Long wrote:
Word.  Going from using public laundry facilities to having my own was like a step on the ladder of evolution.
I agree, but I really miss the strange people and strange conversations at the laundromats.  It was just so gritty and real to sit there and fester while you were doing the laundry, kind of like the pain of urban living.  I also feel like it was a lot more efficient to use communal facilities and feel a bit guilty that I have a machine just for little ol' me.

Technology and its accessibility is messing stuff up.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

man, i used to use a laundromat in warrensburg, but not since ive been in kc. damn, im missin' out.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

warwickland wrote: man, i used to use a laundromat in warrensburg, but not since ive been in kc. damn, im missin' out.
there was one day in my two and a half miserable years in miserable warrensburg that i used a laundromat. the rest of the time I drove away from miserable warrensburg to my mom's in KCK every weekend, and took care of things there, and stayed for the weekend, because I found warrensburg miserable. my life was miserable. everything, everything was miserable. miserable.

photoblog. 

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: there was one day in my two and a half miserable years in miserable warrensburg that i used a laundromat. the rest of the time I drove away from miserable warrensburg to my mom's in KCK every weekend, and took care of things there, and stayed for the weekend, because I found warrensburg miserable. my life was miserable. everything, everything was miserable. miserable.
And now you are happy, happy, happy!  :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: And now you are happy, happy, happy!  :D
I am not happy. About anything. Misery reigns eternal over the springs of hope.

photoblog. 

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: I am not happy. About anything. Misery reigns eternal over the springs of hope.
But you generate happiness. That's gotta count for something.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: But you generate happiness. That's gotta count for something.
Thanks. though I know for a fact there's a few peeps around these parts whom I don't generate happiness for. So life goes.  8-[

photoblog. 

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

^ 100% of anything is overrated. Life is bumpy so's we'll appreciate the occasional smooth rides.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I know everyone is dying to know where I'm at on my laundry situation.  8)

The closest laundromat is about 6 blocks away from my loft. I've set aside a day every week to do laundry as I don't have much. I just use my bike and a laundry bag to transport my stuff there and it's been working very well.

I thought I would hate going to the laundromat, but it's growing on me every week. I like the people watching and this laundromat is next door to Burrito King so I can always grab an iced tea and a taco with barbacoa, onions and cilantro as I wait. I get to catch up on reading or make calls to people I need to call back (sorry Dad!). I'm usually outside enjoying the day or just hanging out in the neighborhood rather than sitting and wallowing.

I really don't mind it at all so far. In the future, when choosing a place I wouldn't mind at all if it didn't have W/D as long as a laundromat was close. I don't really get the negative perception...I think they're kind of interesting places to go and make a part of your life.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i've never used a laundromat, but it seems like it would be vaguely fun, particularly if it is in downtown lawrence.  i don't think i want to hang out in the closest 'mat to me in raytown, where the only thing nearby is an "urban" clothing store, check cashing establishment, and "Smokes4Less."  :lol:

the worst laundry scenario, however, is dorm laundry rooms.  it is soulcrushingly boring to sit there and wait for your clothes in the windowless laundry dungeon, but if you leave you run the very real risk of having some d-bag steal your stuff. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

In college, I always went to Duds -n-Suds. One side of the wall was the the laundry, the other side was a full bar with geat pool tables and darts.  Fun way to do a boring household task ( of course, it took a lot longer to do a load there!)
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I have lived in 2 trailers in my time (currently I am in my second) and both times I hit the thrift shops and the fleamarkets looking for a washer and dryer. The first had a Maytag washer and a Kenmore dryer. This Trailer has a matched Kenmore pair that I just got lucky on. You probably could get a good stacked pair from Sears on Iowa. We should even be able to deliver and install the unit for you.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I like the people watching and this laundromat is next door to Burrito King so I can always grab an iced tea and a taco with barbacoa, onions and cilantro as I wait.
I used to use that Duds n'suds when I lived down the street.  I was always pissed that they never had the beer taps open when I would go.  Come on guys, if you aren't going to come through with the goods, take the 'suds' out of the name.