Buying a Bike

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Buying a Bike

Post by staubio »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Anyone ridden the loop around the DT airport?  I know the govt is a little weird about security...is there any problem just riding around the outer road?
Not at all.  There is usually always someone there doing laps.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Cool.  I may try it for a slight change of scenery saturday monring.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Anyone ridden the loop around the DT airport?  I know the govt is a little weird about security...is there any problem just riding around the outer road?
Yeah, you're good to go.  I've heard they do crits there, too.

There's only one way to get there if you're not driving and don't want to take Broadway (ha!).  Just follow the map--it works.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If I go to the Cycle shop and pay more money to buy their entry level bike, is that really going to be that much better of a bike then the discount store bike? 
Absolutely.  First of all, the bike in the discount store was assembled by some kid that works evenings because nobody else wanted to do it.  The bike at the shop was assembled by a genuine bicycle mechanic and will be tuned accordingly.  It is also nice to start your relationship with a shop from the onset for continued maintanence.  Most shops will give you deals if you bought the bike there.

The shop bike is going to have higher quailty components.  Mostly, it'll just be heavier than a more expensive model, but you can expect it to last and require less tweaking than a comparably priced discount store brand. 

Personally, I would spend $500 on a bike.  People haven't changed their paradigm of a reasonable bike price with inflation.  For as much utility and recreation as you can get out of a bike, it is worth getting something decent from the get go.  Too many people buy a piece of junk to try it out and decide biking isn't for them because the crappy bike gave them a bad experience.

I'd also suggest considering a road or touring bike if you plan to do any distance.  A hybrid is really a mostly upright, comfort at all costs and performance be damned sort of setup, at least at the entry level.  I'd be happy to give more specifics or talk about certain models if it would help.

Also, I have a road bike that I'd let someone try out and ride along if someone is interested.  I'm just under 6 foot with a 32" inseam. 
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

staubio wrote: Too many people buy a piece of junk to try it out and decide biking isn't for them because the crappy bike gave them a bad experience.
I never buy pieces of junk, I get them for free!  :lol:

Eh, regardless, I still enjoy biking.

Correction: I hope you find a bike that's right for you, LenexatoKCMO. G'luck.
Last edited by beccanator on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Another vote for River Market Cyclery!  Another option fairly close to Downtown is The Wheel on Antioch, just north of Vivion.  It's owned by a cool husband and wife team.

$500 is a good amount to spend, it's investment that will return both monetary and health benefits.  If that's too much are you aren't sure about getting enough use out of it, Bikes and Trikes for Tikes is a good source of used bikes.  It's a charity that outfits kids with free/cheap bikes and sells used adult bikes to raise money.  You can pick up a decent ride for under $200.

http://www.bikesandtrikesfortykes.org/home.htm
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Thanks for all of the tips guys.  I was starting to come the conclusion that I was probably going to be spending more in that direction, but my inner cheapskate was still holding out hope. 

I am still pretty open between the road v. hybrid choice so I guess I will just go give them a spin and see which feels better.  I had a twelve speed road bike when I was a kid and I have been on a mountain bike or two in my day but I have never ridden a hybrid before.  Offroad isn't really a priority right now - somewhere down the road I might enjoy heading out and getting into that, but if I make it to that point and am getting good use out of the first bike, I probably won't mind shelling out for a second bike. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

What does anyone think of the Broadway bicycle shop...you know, that bicycle store on Broadway near Westport Rd. Any good?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote: What does anyone think of the Broadway bicycle shop...you know, that bicycle store on Broadway near Westport Rd. Any good?
That is Midwest Cyclery.  Good shop but the owner can be a bit surly.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I am still pretty open between the road v. hybrid choice so I guess I will just go give them a spin and see which feels better.  I had a twelve speed road bike when I was a kid and I have been on a mountain bike or two in my day but I have never ridden a hybrid before.  Offroad isn't really a priority right now - somewhere down the road I might enjoy heading out and getting into that, but if I make it to that point and am getting good use out of the first bike, I probably won't mind shelling out for a second bike. 
Good call.  I'd go for the skinnies and get another bike for the off-road stuff later.  Skinnies will get you around great.  If you like it and want to play in the dirt, then you can get a mountain bike.  I'm learning that mountain bike riders are really some very disturbed and crazy people, however, so you might want to work up to it by sky-diving or something.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

^^I've always found Bob to be quite friendly at Midwest Cyclery, it's the younger fellow that can be quite sassy at times.

But I vote for River Market Cyclery as well, customer service there is excellent.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

To clarify, nobody really buys a hybrid to ride off-road anyway.  Hybrids typically get sold to people that want to ride on trails but are intimidated by the skinny tired.  You can travel on any relatively smooth surface on a road bike and you can put wider touring tires on it when conditions require.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

^ Right, get a real mountain bike if you want to go offroad.

In my mind a hybrid just a road bike built for rougher roads and a more comfortable ride.  Perfect for our rough streets.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Well I didn't wind up being very patient.  I am now the owner of a Giant FCR3.  Road it home - where in the hell did all of those hills come from downtown?  I didn't remember the river market being located in the shadow of a moutain.  :lol:  It is going to take a bit for me to get into decent riding condition. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You gotta do the hill in Penn Valley Park just south of Annies lofts.  Just start up at the statue and haul ass down to broadway, it's a rush.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Congrats!  Nice move!

Hills.  Ahh--perspective!

You'll start to notice hills while in the car now.  Very different on a bike.  Like Main (the same hill Grid was talking about that goes east/west through the whole city).

If you want to die, then try Summit from 17th 20th going north.  And yes, there are worse.

Once you get comfortable riding then drop me a line.  Pub crawls on bikes till 4 am are a total blast.

oops, 20th
Last edited by kard on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

get down like james brown!

oh yah, big up on the bike purchase...welcome to the suck.
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Kard wrote: Congrats!  Nice move!

Hills.  Ahh--perspective!

You'll start to notice hills while in the car now.  Very different on a bike.  Like Main (the same hill Grid was talking about that goes east/west through the whole city).

If you want to die, then try Summit from 17th going north.  And yes, there are worse.

Once you get comfortable riding then drop me a line.  Pub crawls on bikes till 4 am are a total blast.
I bet we know some of the same peeps.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote:
I had been wondering about that - what is the tamest route from the xroads to midtown?  Is it best to go up Gilham or further east?  Seems like you run into that monster anyway you go. 
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Kard wrote: If you want to die, then try Summit from 17th going north.  And yes, there are worse.
Try going all the way up it from SW Blvd like my boss does every morning. He's a beast! I prefer to take it the opposite direction on the way home from work, buuut...I still have the oh-so-pleasant Penn Valley hill waiting for me on the other side. Hurrah!
Kard wrote: Pub crawls on bikes till 4 am are a total blast.
It's surprising how well a pack of drunk cyclists can take a hill! Pub crawls should only be done by bicycle, in my opinion! (Too bad most of my friends are lame and don't bike...  :()