Best Breakfast

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Best Breakfast

Post by Thaine »

Paintfumes wrote: We use to eat at Mama's a couple years ago until a friend of ours got hold of food poisoning there and haven't been back.
Am I correct , is Mama's in Volker neighborhood area on 39 ?
Excellent Fumey!!!  Start talking about food poisoning and not even sure if its the right place :P :P :P  (Sounds like it is, though).

Somebody mentioned Cascone's in the River Market and I don't think we gave that its proper notice.  Another one if you're feeling gritty is Dagwoods over by Strasser Hardware.  Specializing in B-fast sandwiches where they put egg,meat,cheese, and hash browns on a couple of slices of fried up Texas Toast.  About $1.95 with coffee.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Sportster wrote: All you "free-rangers" get outa my way! Keep yer freakin brown eggs and organic soy BLEGH milk drink!

Geezus, that ain't breakfast! You want nuts, leaves and twigs, go dig up Yuel Gibbons. (that Grape Nuts guy)
No stuff. A really good breakfast is all about GREASE and DEAD ANIMALS. I can get roughage for free anytime I mow my yard.

This thread reminds me of a place I've been whose signature item was "heart attack on a plate". Now that's eatin'.
A fool and your money are soon united.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Gladstoner wrote: No stuff. A really good breakfast is all about GREASE and DEAD ANIMALS. I can get roughage for free anytime I mow my yard.

This thread reminds me of a place I've been whose signature item was "heart attack on a plate". Now that's eatin'.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The Cup and Saucer definitely has tasty breakfasts, and with the new expansion, you can eat outside now. I have only eaten at Succotash once, and we stayed for over two hours, and they never once hassled us about overstaying our welcome. They just kept smiling, and refilled our coffees and waters. It was lovely.

The Peanut on 9th makes a very tasty Sunday brunch.

It surprising how few breakfast places there are in downtown, though. The Quaff apparently makes breakfast, but I haven't tried it yet.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

bahua wrote: The Quaff apparently makes breakfast, but I haven't tried it yet.
I walked by The Queef yesterday morning around 6:30 AM and there was a guy inside still....do they just never close or something?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Succotash.  YUM.

Went for a pre-Brigade game brunch.  I had french toast (two slices of a bagette...different, but I prefer Texas Toast), and we also had the Kitchen Sink Scramble (potatos, eggs, all sorts of breakfast stuff, covered in gravy...mmmmm), and the Burrito of Love (brekkie food wrapped in a pancake).  Awesome stuff!  And the 50's decor was cool, too.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Tosspot wrote: I walked by The Queef yesterday morning around 6:30 AM and there was a guy inside still....do they just never close or something?
They probably close for maybe 3 hours of the day... they open super early and serve breakfast.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Didn't see it mentioned, but The Diner at 3rd & Grand does good breakfast. And, I believe they serve it all day.

Woodswether has to win for best overall hangover-type breakfast.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

WSPanic wrote:  

best food PERIOD. i thought town topic was better hangover grub?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

WSPanic wrote: Didn't see it mentioned, but The Diner at 3rd & Grand does good breakfast. And, I believe they serve it all day.
All day = until they close at 2:00 (1:00 Sundays).  GOOD, good stuff.    I go there every Sunday.     Though it's not listed on the menu they now serve waffles... really good ones... but you have to get there early because once the batter runs out they don't make any more.
Last edited by scooterj on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

i thought town topic was better hangover grub?
Close call for my tastes. Now that Woodswether moved, I like the atmosphere a little better - it's bigger. I know it might sound sacrilegious - but I can't stand the smokey diner for a hangover. And keep in mind that I smoke. And the portions at Woodswether are overwhelming - which is a plus.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

WSPanic wrote: Didn't see it mentioned, but The Diner at 3rd & Grand does good breakfast. And, I believe they serve it all day.

My last hangover-breakfast was at The Diner and consisted of sausage, bacon, chicken strips, and a waffle that I very slowly and deliberately consumed.  I felt much better when I was done. :)
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Mamma's is fucking disgusting. Greasy ass eggs, consistantly dirty silverware and cigarette smoke make not the best of dining experiences.

As for my recommendations, I'd urge you to try Cup and Saucer, right on the edge of the downtown area and the River Market. The food is cheap and is a step up from your normal "egg and toast" sort of breakfast.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

Any other former Lawrence residents wish that Milton's would open a location in the rivermarket?  Best breakfast and coffee ever.  Hands down.  It is what cup and saucer aspires to be.   
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

WSPanic wrote: Close call for my tastes. Now that Woodswether moved, I like the atmosphere a little better - it's bigger. I know it might sound sacrilegious - but I can't stand the smokey diner for a hangover. And keep in mind that I smoke. And the portions at Woodswether are overwhelming - which is a plus.
i was so nervous about going to the woodswether after they moved, after being in that spot for 30 years, and i loved it there too, i was scared i would not like it as much, but, twice the size, still ugly as hell inside, still frightening to look at outside, and oh yeah, some of the best greasy spoon food in the world still, did not change one bit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

gootsku wrote: Any other former Lawrence residents wish that Milton's would open a location in the rivermarket?  Best breakfast and coffee ever.  Hands down.  It is what cup and saucer aspires to be.   
That's a great idea. Speaking of Milton's, I watched that "Hardwood Heavens" show on INHD featuring Allen Fieldhouse and they featured Milton's in that piece.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

I miss Miltons and when I was recently in Lawrence and had it again it made me realize I have yet to find a replacement for it here.

Gootsku and I are total breakfast junkies on the weekends so I've tried several places in DT--note to self to hit Diner and Woodswether.  My normal rotation of Cup and Saucer, Succotash, TownTopic on drunken occasion, and Cascones is enjoyably good, with Cascones being my favorite.  But there just isn't anything as great as Miltons. I recently had RJ's Bob-b-que Country breakfast on Johnson drive and it was quite good (best smoked bacon I've ever had, still dreaming about it), you can even mix barbecue in with your breakfast but its not in the Milton's category. 

To those who have not tried any of the above, I would still recommend all of them as tasty and worth a visit. 
ccrnku
Surface Lot

Post by ccrnku »

Cup and Saucer is closed :(  But Shark's in Brookside is good and I like succotash and Bluebird.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Do you mean Sharp's?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

there are, like, eight breakfast threads on this forum.