What building is this?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: What building is this?

Post by MidWestSider »

Can someone help with this one?  I've been meaning to walk by, but havent had the chance.. is it residental?

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

That is the Professional Building. It is being converted into residential.

KCDowntown
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

My question is... what is that big church in the foreground?  I don't think I've ever noticed it and I've lived down here for 3 years!
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

scooterj wrote: My question is... what is that big church in the foreground?   I don't think I've ever noticed it and I've lived down here for 3 years!
Our Lady of Ill Repute..... oh wait, thats down the street.
A fool and your money are soon united.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

st. patrick's i believe... on of the first if not the first catholic parish in kcmo!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

St Patricks is the oldest surviving church in KC, built in 1875.  It is administered by the cathedral parish and is not officially a church , but an oratory.  It is the only church in the area authorized by the Vatican to perform the old Latin rite mass as it existed prior the the reforms in the early sixties.  It is currently closed for some renovations.  Sadly the interior has been much stripped down over the years.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Our Lady of Sorrows, by Crown Center, also performs the old Latin Rite Mass.  I didn't realize that St. Pat's was closed for renovations. That church, and the Episcopal one further south will be nice when the East Village is up and running. Yet another similarity to the Quality Hill area. QH has the two cathedrals, East Village will have the 2 of the oldest churches in the city. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

I thought the oldest church in the city is the AME church in Westport next to where the new fire station is going in?  Could be wrong but thought it dated to 1860's.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

According to the plaque on the church and the Historic KC Foundation, St. Pat's is the oldest.  Our Lady of Hallmark, er Sorrows is doing the Latin mass while St Pat's is closed.  The episcopal church by the Federal bldg, St. Mary's is a gem inside.  Like being in the shire of merry old England.  Even has a roode screen, which I have never seen in this area, and people buried under the floor.
KCrules
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCrules »

How do some of you guys know so much about names of buildings, etc...is there a book out that labels  buildings, or just living downtown has given you the knowledge? Very impressive fellas...just makes me want to get back home even faster!!!