Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22nd).

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22nd).

Post by GRID »

lock&load wrote: Is there anything in KS that is not an embarrassment to KC in your opinion?  I sure as hell rather drive to Bonner as it is now, than have my tax dollars funding a new amphitheater as part of a 1/2 billion stadium boondoggle.
We go to StLouis for outdoor shows or Starlight, even Red Rocks in Denver.

So it's not "the drive".

Verizon sucks, the theater itself is junk, the concession stands are plywood boxes that are falling apart, I've seen better parking lots at vacant drive-in theaters and the area around it is about as hick and rural as you can possibly get and be within 50 miles of a major city.

The speedway is fine, other than that, KS is mostly suburbs.  Freeloading suburbs that feed off of KCMO ;).

Nothing wrong with wanting a decent amphitheater.  I would love to have one in PVP or Berkley, but the TSC is fine too.

I don't know the plans though, this could be all bs.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22nd).

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: Nothing wrong with wanting a decent amphitheater.  I would love to have on in PVP or Berkley, but the TSC is fine too.

I don't know the plans though, this could be all bs.
I agree, nothing wrong with a decent ampitheater, but is shouldn't be part of a stadium renovation proposal.  That is political BS at it's best.
jayhawkjames
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jayhawkjames »

GRID wrote: I CAN'T STAND verizon amphitheater.  Put a nice amphitheater out there at the copmlex and I'll vote yes ;)

Oh, and I'm starting to loose a lot of respect for KK and his JoCo crew.
I've got to disagree about the K amphitheater competing with Verizon, but what it will do is take away concerts from downtown KCMO.

Verizon holds 18,000 people, so the type of artist that would play at a place of that size (the Petty's, Metallica, Dave Mathews, major artists of the world) wouldn't dare play such a small place, even if the facilities were state of the art.  If they can sell out a 18,000 seat venue, no way they will play the small 9500 venue just because they have cleaner bathrooms and a bigger catering room.

Also, don't underestimate the power of the major conglomerate (sp?) (Clear Channel Entertainment), which own quite a few regional radio stations, along with Verizon Wireless Amp in KCK.  With the amphitheaters and the radio stations owned by the same corporation, it's almost guaranteed all the major acts will play verizon.

What it will take away from are many downtown Kansas City, Missouri concert venues, such as Hale Arena/Municipal Auditorium and the City Market that holds roughly the same amount of seats (acts like Kid Rock, Taste of Chaos Tour, 311, Slipknot, Mid-major acts) etc.. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Good point jjames, although part of me has the feeling that this ampitheater will cater towards a lot of Christian rock, and family friendly rock groups from the 60s and 70s. That doesn't seem to be the kind of bands that play at the River Market or Wesport, although it could steal some thunder from the kind of acts Crown Center puts on.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ Oh, I thought they were going to build a real amphitheater.  :(
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: ^ Oh, I thought they were going to build a real amphitheater.  :(
noone knows anything. we will know at 3pm ( 4 for me )
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: ^ Oh, I thought they were going to build a real amphitheater.  :(
Kind of like they're going to build a "real" ballpark. :wink:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Kind of like they're going to build a "real" ballpark. :wink:

they already have one, one of the best in baseball. called kauffman stadium
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Take away from downtown concerts?  Hardly.  The River Market has MAYBE 5 real concerts during the summer, the Crown Center stuff is always pretty watered down with bands like LIVERPOOL & 3 Dog Night being BIG DRAWS.  The only other DT venues are indoor.  A tour is typically predetermined to be exclusively outdoor or arena based.  I don't see a conflict or any chance of serious canibalism.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

From how KK is describing it, they are going to turn Kauffman into a circus.  What a joke.  Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The "Black Knights" are riding again.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

GRID wrote: From how KK is decribing it, they are going to turn Kauffman into a circus.  What a joke.  Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot?
Ummm, 2 weeks ago KK turned himself into a circus.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Ummm, 2 weeks ago KK turned himself into a circus.
That too, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

After every win at the K, the team will all pile into a VW bug and drive around the bases.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: From how KK is describing it, they are going to turn Kauffman into a circus.  What a joke.  Are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot?
kietz is just being a horses ass about an issue he hates, as usual, and it just kills his pompass ass that they are about to say something major, and he has NO clue what it is, because, they, along with the chiefs, the stadium authority, the county, the star, and many others in the media, do not want to deal with him.

good. serves him right.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

lock&load wrote: After every win at the K, the team will all pile into a VW bug and drive around the bases.
The forum is no place for Latin American jokes.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TONIGHT: TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS

Also Kansas City Royals vs. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCMax wrote: TONIGHT: TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS

Also Kansas City Royals vs. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
(free with ticket purchase to ampitheater show)
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

GOTH night at the K.  Sign me up.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

water spectacular/mosh pit?