Downtown improvement!

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Downtown improvement!

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: The problem that many suburban people have with urban parking is that if they don't see visible parking spots in a big lot, they generally just give up.
oh yeah, every home show, every auto show, every american royal, every st pattys day, they bitch like crazy, there is NO parking "down there"

give me a fucken break, the suburban mentality of a fucking parking spot in front of every goddamn front door, is PATHETIC.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

bahua wrote: I actually have heard tons of people say that. "Where will everybody park!?"
Yea, I was laughing because I've heard so many people say it as well.

It's the absolutely lamest of all reasons for not wanting a dt stadium.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

This town is so full of moronic dithering suburbadroid regressivist simpleton dolts that it is frightening.

Oh, but where will everyone park? Maybe in one of the goddamned 100,000 existing parking spaces downtown!

It is disturbing to ponder how many unwashed, brainless hordes of car dependency there are out there, who understand nothing but big box retail emporia, highways, and parking lagoons. It is called cultural bankruptcy. And speaking of cultural bankruptcy, my mom and I had lunch today and she derived great amusement by telling me about a letter to editor in the paper she read. Some idiot from Olathe wrote in, apparently to the Star, bewailing and bemoaning some supposed LACK of parking downtown, saying he will never go downtown again for any reason, ever, because there is supposedly no parking. GOOD RIDDANCE YOU JAR-HEADED MORONIC PIECE OF SHIT!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Tosspot wrote: This town is so full of moronic dithering suburbadroid regressivist simpleton dolts that it is frightening.

Oh, but where will everyone park? Maybe in one of the goddamned 100,000 existing parking spaces downtown!

It is disturbing to ponder how many unwashed, brainless hordes of car dependency there are out there, who understand nothing but big box retail emporia, highways, and parking lagoons. It is called cultural bankruptcy. And speaking of cultural bankruptcy, my mom and I had lunch today and she derived great amusement by telling me about a letter to editor in the paper she read. Some idiot from Olathe wrote in, apparently to the Star, bewailing and bemoaning some supposed LACK of parking downtown, saying he will never go downtown again for any reason, ever, because there is supposedly no parking. GOOD RIDDANCE YOU JAR-HEADED MORONIC PIECE OF SHIT!
:lol: :lol:

Freaking awesome.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Letters, Kansas City Star, March 30, 2006 wrote:Parking downtown

Two out of the last three years I have been unable to find parking in downtown Kansas City for the Kansas City Flower, Lawn & Garden/Home Show. I left downtown last week saying I’d never return for any function whatsoever. Kansas City has been reduced to a third-rate city and it will only get worse as the entertainment district evolves without adequate parking.

Kemper Arena is not any better. In February, Kemper held a religious retreat at the same time that the Farm Show was scheduled. Again, parking was at a premium.

I have supported bistate initiatives in the past. Never again. Kansas City doesn’t deserve a Super Bowl, an All-Star game or the national political conventions.

Vince Werkowitch
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

HA!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

StL_Dan wrote: :lol: :lol:

Freaking awesome.

says from olathe. is that you writing that letter danny??
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

What a maroon.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kman »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: That is a good point - I imagine their are plenty of people living in this metro who just don't have the experience with things like parking garages, and parrallel parking on the street.  It's possible to go through your entire life living in Olathe or Blue Springs without ever encountering a need to engage in either - at least not with any sort of remote regularity.  Not to say it isn't pathetic - but I have no doubt that there aren't thousands of people in this city who aren't comfortable doing this, even if they do know where to find it. 
just imagine if the stadiums were built downtown in the first place, would people be having these dt parking issues?  I think not; why? because folks would be used to coming dt for many years, developing there own habits of where to park, the best places to park, the best way to avoid traffic after the game, finding free parking areas, taking the bus, car pooling, etc.  I bet other cities with dt stadiums don't have these dt parking issues.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

^ no doubt.  I think the Plaza is a good example of that.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most cities that have concentrated their public amenities downtown have a decent mass transit system.  Downtown will fail if we think we can just keep building parking garages to warehouse automobiles.  Fifty years ago when downtown was the real center of this city we had mass transit.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Here are some responses to the blowhard from Olathe:

Original:
Letters, Kansas City Star, March 30, 2006 wrote:Parking downtown

Two out of the last three years I have been unable to find parking in downtown Kansas City for the Kansas City Flower, Lawn & Garden/Home Show. I left downtown last week saying I’d never return for any function whatsoever. Kansas City has been reduced to a third-rate city and it will only get worse as the entertainment district evolves without adequate parking.

Kemper Arena is not any better. In February, Kemper held a religious retreat at the same time that the Farm Show was scheduled. Again, parking was at a premium.

I have supported bistate initiatives in the past. Never again. Kansas City doesn’t deserve a Super Bowl, an All-Star game or the national political conventions.

Vince Werkowitch

Replies:
Letters, Kansas City Star, April 5th, 2006  http://blogs.kansascity.com/unfettered_letters/2006/04/downtown_parkin.html wrote:
Downtown parking

How unsettling that it takes a little work for Vince Werkowitch to find that coveted parking space two steps from his destination in downtown Kansas City (3/30, Letters).

Boy, he’d really hate my neighborhood in Chicago, where I’ve driven around for an hour without finding a space.

Fortunately, many of my yuppie neighbors who can more than afford it own no car (gasp), or it would be even worse.

I guess what Mr. Werkowitch is suggesting is that downtown should look like and offer all of the motoring convenience of that beige sprawlscape they call Olathe. Has he ever been to a real city?

Derek King
Chicago

A recent letter from a reader in Olathe complained about not attending the home show because of lack of parking. He even implied Kansas City would become a third-rate city unless it builds more parking garages.

I strongly disagree. First-rate cities such as Boston do not ruin their interiors with a lot of parking. They provide parking in outlying areas along a public transit route.

I live in Overland Park, and I had no problem finding a parking space for the Home Show. I drove up 75th Street to Waldo and parked my car in a free park-and-ride lot. I boarded the new rapid transit bus the Max and had a pleasant 20 minutes to Bartle Hall.

Even on Saturdays, this bus has a frequent schedule and is cheap to ride. I read where officials are planning on establishing a second Max route. Sounds like Kansas City will become a first-rate city.

Thomas L. Moore
Overland Park
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

nicely rebuked!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Something seems faked about the 2nd letter
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'll concede that most suburbanites don't look hard enough for parking. However, when you spend your entire life in sprawled surface lots, what do you expect? We have to educate people. It can be confusing for someone unfamiliar with a big city (which is what a lot of suburbanites are, rural transplants) to know what the rules are on meters, when you can use a lot for free, etc.

I also agree though, that a lot of surbanites need to open their minds a lot and quit being whiny assholes.

I also agree, that a downtown stadium would have exposed a lot of suburbanites who otherwise would never come downtown to the idea of actually walking a few blocks, or *gasp* taking mass transit. Oh well.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KCPowercat wrote: Something seems faked about the 2nd letter
hehe, as an avowed urbanist living in suburbia, given the same situation i probably wouldn't do a park and ride option.  (more likely that i would drive downtown, look for any number of empy garages and park there).  Yeh, i know i suck, i don't support the Max as I should, but it's too easy to just drive the whole way and pay a minimal parking fee (or none at all if i just park somewhere in the RM or Crossroads and leg the rest of the way).

Now, once downtown KC gets to be like dt Chicago or NY, and parking fees are jacked up to 14 bucks an hour then i'll definitely be doing some parking and riding.

edit: but by that time i'll hopefully be living in downtown and won't need to  8)
Last edited by ComandanteCero on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
st steven
Pad site
Pad site

Post by st steven »

I can just hear that guy's response to the first letter:

"CHICAGO! We're not, nor will we ever be, CHICAGO! We need to be content with who we are by eradicating whatever's left of our urban identity to accomodate my goddamn SUV. Chicago--that guy needs to pull his head out of his ass."

It's unfortunate that we have people like that in St. Louis too.
First in shoes, first in booze, and last in the American League.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcdcchef wrote:
what the hell is wrong with you?  who attacks STL_Dan, the nicest guy in the world? 

you have personally attacked almost every single forumer on this site.  what gives, man?  :x
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

chrizow wrote: what the hell is wrong with you?  who attacks STL_Dan, the nicest guy in the world? 

you have personally attacked almost every single forumer on this site.  what gives, man?   :x
you are clueless. utterly, completely, totally, clueless. do not mistake the infighting i do with a few others about the stadium issues with dan and i bantering. we get along FINE. we joke alot. get over it.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

kcdcchef wrote:
Negative.  I've never written a letter to the KU Star.

chriz, thanks for getting my back....even though chef's question to me was tongue in cheek. 

chef, chriz is kool.  He's just lookin' out for me as forum friend.