PROs and CONs of Question 1 and Question 2

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: PROs and CONs of Question 1 and Question 2

Post by AllThingsKC »

PRO - By 2015, the Super Bowl could be an ever bigger deal then it is now, if that's possible.  Plus, we could get lots of other events.

CON - The city seems to be getting "it" from the teams/owners, but still all it costs is 38-cents for every $100.00 spent in Jackson County....so, PRO?!?!
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

lock&load wrote: But it may be a lot better.  You'll never know without giving it a shot
What additional shot are you expecting?  The closer we get to the end of the year the closer the County gets into a position of default.  It is hard to negotiate when you are in a position of weakness.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: PRO
Best use of taxpayer money given the alternatives.  Taxpayer cost to rehab is quite less than building one and probably two new stadiums.  The taxpayer might have gotten a better deal but we cannot change the past.  To vote against it in order to get a better deal does not mean the taxpayer will receive a better deal.  In all likelihood the taxpayer will receive a worse deal.  We have what we have.
That is quite possibly the most illogical thing I have ever heard.  Name one instance in the history of stadium votes where the voters said NO and then wound up committing to a worse deal down the road.  Its never happened. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Bizarro World:

Teams: Hey, if you don't improve our facilities, we can leave. All it would take is about $60-80 million to get us up to code.

County: Oops, sorry bout that. Would $1 billion be okay?

Teams: Uh, er, great! When do we begin?

County: Sorry, the taxpayers said no.

Teams: That's okay. We'll settle for $2 billion.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: What additional shot are you expecting?  The closer we get to the end of the year the closer the County gets into a position of default.  It is hard to negotiate when you are in a position of weakness.
Why can't we just pass a measure so that Jacomo would not default?  Come up with the money somehow.  Sheesh.

And fire all the people who let us get in to a situation where we'd default anyway!!!  It's their fault whether they planned to default or not (implied: corruption, greed).  Grrrrrrr.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Give it up guys, east jack is going to pass this 2:1, nothing is going to stop that.

Not that I agree with that, but ten ongoing threads about this topic?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Too bad for east jack that the population of west jack is 2:1 higher than east jack. We have a real chance to beat this. Vote NO!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: That is quite possibly the most illogical thing I have ever heard.  Name one instance in the history of stadium votes where the voters said NO and then wound up committing to a worse deal down the road.  Its never happened. 
comiskey park in chicago. it did happen. they had a vote in cook county in 1985, that would have spent 64m to renovate historic comiskey stadium, in exchange for a new 25 year lease with the white sox to begin in 1987, and voted it down, and they tried to move instead to st. petersubrg florida in 1987, then, in an emergency vote, cook county instead voted to spend 9 figures, instead of 8, on a new stadium next to old comiskey, even though over 2 million signatures were collected to save old comiskey, mr. reinsdorff refused to accept any deal on saving old commy, and it cost them almost triple, to build, what almost all of baseball agrees, is one of it's worst stadiums, us cellular.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: Too bad for east jack that the population of west jack is 2:1 higher than east jack. We have a real chance to beat this. Vote NO!
East Jax (even though it's more central to east jax) is everything outside of 435, inluding Grandiview.  It's larger than KCMO inside 435 and will have a much higher percentage of voters that will actually vote.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: Too bad for east jack that the population of west jack is 2:1 higher than east jack. We have a real chance to beat this. Vote NO!
oh please. not by a long shot.

blue springs, mo          50,000
independence, mo      114,000
Lee's Summit, Mo          85,000
Grandview, MO            25,000
Lake Lotowana, MO        2,000
Buckner, MO                  3,000
Oak Grove, MO              6,000

that is pushing 300,000 ( under i know ) so, since jacko is about 660,000, i guess that little 2:1 argument of yours holds NO water.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They don't want to loose the stadiums.

They think they are important to the area, from the hotels to the restaurants.  Even owners of other entertainment options like Lunar Bowl and Sports City in Blue Springs and Paradise Park in Lee's Summit are very much for this.

Downtown rarely if ever even comes up as an issue and they think downtown would be another Johnson County benefit (closer and most downtown business owners live in JoCo) at Jackson County's expense.

The threat of the teams leaving scares the hell out them and I think the threat of them going to Kansas might even be more frightening.

Just observations I notice.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: They think they are important to the area, from the hotels to the restaurants.  Even owners of other entertainment options like Lunar Bowl and Sports City in Blue Springs and Paradise Park in Lee's Summit are very much for this.
We better vote yes, because I sure as hell don't want to be blamed for depriving those East Jackers of their Dennys and Taco Bell!!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcdcchef wrote: oh please. not by a long shot.

blue springs, mo           50,000
independence, mo       114,000
Grandview, MO             25,000
Oak Grove, MO               6,000

that is pushing 300,000 ( under i know ) so, since jacko is about 660,000, i guess that little 2:1 argument of yours holds NO water.
Add in the Raytown and Hickman School districts (both out side the loop) pluss all of the area around Grandview that is KCMO and that number goes up to 450,000 and put you right around 1.8:1.

Holds Water!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: oh please. not by a long shot.

blue springs, mo           50,000
independence, mo       114,000
Grandview, MO             25,000
Oak Grove, MO               6,000

This is a rather tangential, rediculous debate so I hate to wade in, but isn't it a bit out of line to count all of Indep as "East Jack"?  What chunk of that 114k is closer to KCMO than the eastern provinces?  (serious question, I don't honestly have an idea)  I guess that could be a bit subjective.  
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^  Technically east jack is everything outside the loop, including western indep, eastern KCMO and Grandview.  And chances are, they will vote very similar in Ruskin or Englewood as they will in Lee's Summit or Blue Springs.

Remember, "east" Jax was east back when the city began to sprawl east, with the exception of downtown indep.

KCMO outside the loop relates more to suburban jackson county than urban KCMO itself.

Taco Bell and Denny's?  No, I'm being serious, I'm talking about the hundreds of restaurants and hotels in LS, BS, around Indep Center, etc.

The Blue Springs Marriot owners were in the Examiner yesterday saying how they are full when the Royals are in town.  The Indep Hillton said the same thing a while back.

As, usual, I'm just telling it like it is.  Don't shoot the messinger.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I suppose what constitutes E Jack is going to start an argument. Doesn't really matter, it is tangental BS.

Anyway, all of my family lives out there, both mom and dad's sides, and they generally are tired of getting screwed by the rich and will be voting no. Thank goodness for rational thinkers.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

not sure about shooting the messenger, but I did shoot the sherrif. But I did not shoot the deputy.  8)
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote: East Jax (even though it's more central to east jax) is everything outside of 435, inluding Grandiview.  It's larger than KCMO inside 435 and will have a much higher percentage of voters that will actually vote.
Sadly, Grid, I think you're right.  East Jack, regardless of the population, has more likely voters then West Jack.

Yeah, mean, my folks are out there, too, and they're leaning no.  But not strongly.  They could go the other way if more threats or benefits show up.  It's not over yet.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Which is why saveourowners.com rules my ass so hard. Besides being funny, it's literally the ONLY opposition I've seen.

Has anyone seen any other organized opposition at all?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

There's the I CAN'T AFFORD IT, STOP THE TAXES ARGH group.

I'm sure they appear to be reasonable people.