Question 1

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Shall the County of Jackson impose a countywide sales tax at the rate of three-eighths of one percent (3/8%) for a period of twenty-five years from the date on which such tax is first imposed for the purpose of improving, renovating and modernizing the Ha

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 96

KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Question 1

Post by KCK »

I hope the results of the election, whatever they may be, allow Kansas City to be the true winner.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Are the people saying no the people that would rather have a downtown ballpark? Or just want to have the art galleries and call it good?
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Suppose this horrible question does pass, and the Royals continue to get worse, and in five years, are eliminated by the league? What happens to our money then?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think the new lease would prohibit MLB from contracting the Royals. Contraction will never happen though.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Dead heat!
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

bahua wrote: Because the downtown ballpark debate has been done ad nauseam, and it *always* degenerates into a swear-filled flamewar. I want people to be encouraged to look at this thread, and not threatened.

If people want to flame on about downtown baseball, they can take it to another thread, which will most likely be dumpsterfied, because people can't help themselves from yelling and swearing at each other.
Delete the posts with flames rather than delete a civil discussion about how people feel about new vs. rennovation factoring into this vote.  I think that it does weigh prominently as a deciding factor for people on the fence.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Nevertheless, take it somewhere else.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

much like i predicted, all of the normal posters have now logged in, and this thing is getting voted on just like it will be on tuesday, april the 4th.

A DEAD HEAT, that will be too close to call until after the polls have closed.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

I wonder what it would look like if we narrowed it down to JaxCo residents only.  You know, the ppl that actually have to pay.  Same with all the other polls all over the net.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

MidWestSider wrote: I wonder what it would look like if we narrowed it down to JaxCo residents only.  You know, the ppl that actually have to pay.  Same with all the other polls all over the net.
Oh, but JoCo will pay too!  They will probably pay half, they come to jax and get those extra value meals at Wendy's, purchase a Chiefs ticket or something once in a while.

This from listening to KK on 810.

Well, hello mcfly, so do JaCoMo residents.

Tell you what.  I'll do a few quicken reports from what I spend in Jackson County show them to anybody who would like to compare.  I bet we spend and incredible amount more in sales taxes at price chopper or target or lowes than a person who lives in JoCo AND WORKS in Jackson County in a given year.

People trying to justify this one county/city pays for everything are annoying.  And far more jax county people pay the "horrible" KC E tax than JoCo people do to.

Just saying...
timberwolfrider
Pad site
Pad site

Post by timberwolfrider »

I say, GRID, that the other counties will help with sales tax, but, we help them too whenever we go over there to shop at Village West, or go to a race, that is idiotic, to say they help pay for it. Please.

I am getting more and more confident, based on the amount of callers willing to call in and tango with Kietzman, that, this thing looks to pass, allbeit slightly.

And, personally, after seeing the new plans, I am pretty happy with what is planned.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Read the Star today.  Other cities are watching this vote closely and positioning themselves to take the Royals (and the Chiefs for that matter) if this vote fails.   Contraction just will not happen.  Demand for the product is just too great.  In spite of all the objections put forth about there being nowhere else for our teams to go, the reality is that KC's competetion will pay and do whatever it takes to wrestle the Royals away from the area if they think there is half a chance and already looking at ways to do this.  If the stadium vote fails, the competition for the Royals will not be between KC and a host of wanna-be's but between Las Vegas, San Antonio, Portland, Charlotte etc...    KC will be out of the equation. 

If you are voting no in hopes of an eventual downtown stadium, then you're just not being realistic about the situation (I would love to see a DT stadium by the way but I believe the intransigence of the cities population makes it a moot point).  If you are voting no because you are against "corporate welfare", then so be it, but prepare yourself for no baseball in KC; there are plenty of cities out there that want to be major league and are willing to pay for it regardless of how much the owners contribute.   
Last edited by Highlander on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Highlander wrote: Read the Star today.  Other cities are watching this vote closely and positioning themselves to take the Royals (and the Chiefs for that matter) if this vote fails.   Contraction just will not happen.  Demand for the product is just too great.  In spite of all the objections put forth about there being nowhere else for our teams to go, the reality is that KC's competetion will pay and do whatever it takes to wrestle the Royals away from the area if they think there is half a chance and already looking at ways to do this.  If the stadium vote fails, the competition for the Royals will not be between KC and a host of wanna-be's but between Las Vegas, San Antonio, Portland, Charlotte etc...    KC will be out of the equation. 

If you are voting no in hopes of an eventual downtown stadium, then you're just not being realistic about the situation (I would love to see a DT stadium by the way but I believe the intransigence of the cities population makes it a moot point).  If you are voting no because you are against "corporate welfare", then so be it, but prepare yourself for no baseball in KC; there are plenty of cities out there that want to be major league and are willing to pay for it regardless of how much the owners contribute.   
nice post. and for those who fail to see portland, san antonio, and charlotte, as viable mlb cities because of biased journalism on charlotte, or the fact that you think kc is bigger ( all 3 of those are bigger ) then you are crazy.

did you see dc snatch up the expos? just like those other cities, they were mentioned for 10 years but never got baseball because they were not serious about it. but, once the expos, and mlb, got serious about letting them move, dc got in gear fast. so did charlotte and portland. dc won.

if they think the royals, or the marlins, really are serious about moving, they will get serious too. count on it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

That's great and all, guys.

But that does nothing to change the actual ballot language and the shitty deal Jackson County tax payers are being presented.  It changes nothing, except increase the chances that Jackson County voters will become some of the biggest whores in the country.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I just talked to my brother in Portland.  No news about the Royals going there.  Only news that the Trailblazers are being shopped around because they're loosing money.  I also doubt PDX would vote themselves a tax increase to pay for a stadium for a poor guy like David Glass.  They've been cutting their budget for years, closing schools.  My sister in law is a teacher there and their teachers union just now agreed on a contract, months after the old one ended (she says back pay is nice)--PDX has tax issues.  There is also no salex tax in Portland, so a simple 1/2 cent sales tax bump isn't possible.

So, Portland?  Not gonna happen.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

More scare tactics.  Pity the fool who falls for it.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: I just talked to my brother in Portland.  No news about the Royals going there.  Only news that the Trailblazers are being shopped around because they're loosing money.  I also doubt PDX would vote themselves a tax increase to pay for a stadium for a poor guy like David Glass.  They've been cutting their budget for years, closing schools.  My sister in law is a teacher there and their teachers union just now agreed on a contract, months after the old one ended (she says back pay is nice)--PDX has tax issues.  There is also no salex tax in Portland, so a simple 1/2 cent sales tax bump isn't possible.

So, Portland?  Not gonna happen.
dude, get off your high horse. the royals and chiefs have not talked to anyone, and no city that is vying for them is saying anything publicly. that happens when they are actually ready to do business. i lived in dc when talks WERE going on to get the expos, and noone heard jackshit until the final year of the process happened, when, they did move.

if this fails, and kc gets serious about leaving, you will hear stuff.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Hey if the Chiefs Leave tough.

We can invite the Raiders to move to Kansas City.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

What would be so bad about the Royals leaving? We're basically telling them to leave with our attendance averages.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: What would be so bad about the Royals leaving? We're basically telling them to leave with our attendance averages.
we are doing that, bahua, this is true. cities that have had longer droughts between winning seasons ( detroit, milwaukee ) have better attendance.