Diverging Diamond Interchange at Front Street & I-435

Transportation topics in KC
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KC first in country to get a diverging diamond interchange...

Post by kard »

mailman641 wrote: The front page of the Star today had a story about a new type of interchange being put in place at I-435 and Front St.  It involves making traffic drive on the left side of the road under the 435 overpass and will be the first of its kind in the US.

http://www.kansascity.com/multimedia/ka ... MONDAY.pdf
Doh!  :)

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=7940.0

But damn, thanks for the linky to the PDF.  That's cool.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

yeah they are trying to make an interchange patterned after London in an obscure corner of the city but don't have enough sense to build a downtown baseball satdium..... brilliant.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That interchange carries a lot more traffic than you guys think.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Merged!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bahua wrote: Merged!
You are the man...and I am so lazy.  Sorry KCP. I have been a horrible moderator :cry:
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

But you are a Forum Paragon!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bahua wrote: But you are a Forum Paragon!
yes, I explained that to the chef yesterday
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Michael® wrote: yeah they are trying to make an interchange patterned after London in an obscure corner of the city but don't have enough sense to build a downtown baseball satdium..... brilliant.
Funny! 

The Northeast Industrial District is a huge employment center.  Lots of goods move through there, as it has distribution centers for companies like FedEx, Neflix, and many others. It may be obscure to you, but it's a key part of the city's economy.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Michael® wrote: yeah they are trying to make an interchange patterned after London in an obscure corner of the city but don't have enough sense to build a downtown baseball satdium..... brilliant.
Also it's patterned after an interchange in Northern France, not London.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Quote from: imporvei70.org
Their use will be considered primarily in heavily-developed areas such as Columbia and St. Louis.
When did columbia become more developed than KC?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

MidWestSider wrote: When did columbia become more developed than KC?
Obviously Columbia is not more developed.  They are talking about areas where there is a lot of development right up against I-70.  The Improve I-70 project starts at I-470/291, outside of the area where KC is heavily developed along I-70.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

studies have shown that seemingly unsafe intersections like this, are actually safer because people pay attention.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

We have an English Accented Public Radio Hostess.

:lol:

Of course the outsiders take on the story

IS THERE TRAFFIC IN KANSAS CITY?
It's a bloody hick town. I didn't think they had freeways yet...

There is ton's of traffic....people trying to leave that fukin brainless area.

DUMB INBRED MO HILLBILLIES DONT KNOW
the difference.

It manages to possess the boredom of the Midwest as well as the inbred backwardness of the South.
Last edited by Steve52 on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

one thing that worries me about this interchange design at this location is that a high proportion of the traffic using it will be truckers encountering it for the first time. 

"breaker-breaker, good buddies.  you will not be-lieve the interchange i just went through in ol' kay-cee.  i'm gonna be scratchin my head about it for weeks."
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

I'm confused... wouldn't a SPUI be much simpler.  This looks like an accident magnet.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

eomaha.com wrote: I'm confused... wouldn't a SPUI be much simpler. 
Easier to use, but more expensive and requiring a bigger footprint than available here. 
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

eomaha.com wrote: I'm confused... wouldn't a SPUI be much simpler.  This looks like an accident magnet.
are you questioning the greatest DOT on the face of this earth???
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.dailytidings.com/2007/0627/s ... change.php
  June 27, 2007
ODOT suggests Ashland, France share same side of road
By Robert Plain
Ashland Daily Tidings

Ashland drivers may have to adjust to driving on the left-hand side of the road if the Oregon Department of Transportation decides to build a "diverging diamond" interchange at exit 14, the connection between Interstate 5 and Ashland Street.

The experimental design, which would move drivers to the left-hand side of Ashland Street as they cross over I-5 with the help of two traffic signals on either side of the overpass, is in use at only one other location in the world: Versailles, France. There are several others in the conceptual phase, such as Kansas City, Mo.

"It could put Ashland on the map," Michael Baker, an ODOT transportation planner, told a joint session of the Ashland City Council and Ashland Planning Commission on Tuesday night to discuss plans for new interchanges at exits 14 and 19 in 2009.

The diverging diamond is one of five potential interchange designs that could be used to connect Ashland Street to I-5. Another is a single-point urban interchange, like the one recently built in Medford to connect Barnett Road to I-5. The three other potential designs are more traditional designs, Baker said after the meeting. ODOT has not made any preliminary designs for either interchange as the project is still in the early stages. Survey work will begin this fall, and designs should be ready by December, Baker said. The designs will be ready for city and county approval by July 2008.

Councilor David Chapman was concerned that whatever design ODOT chooses for exit 14, it should be bicycle- and pedestrian-friendly.

"Trace through and show me how a pedestrian or a bicyclist would make their way through the interchange," he asked the engineers who are coming up with the designs for ODOT. About the diverging diamond design, he said, "I'll make sure that doesn't happen here."

The engineers, from David Evans and Associates in Portland, said they had heard of conflicts with bikes, pedestrians and diverging diamonds, but added that they just started to look at design.

"I have to be honest, we haven't looked at this in great detail," said Christian Snuffin, a traffic engineer. "This is new to everyone."

Councilors and commissioners spent the majority of the presentation asking about exit 14, rather than exit 19, but wanted to ensure they would have an equal say at exit 19, which is controlled by Jackson County. Specific ideas for exit 19 were not discussed.

"The north interchange is just as important to us," said John Stromberg, chairman of the planning commission. "The county sometimes has very different ideas about how they want things to go."
cont....
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

bbqboy wrote:
"Trace through and show me how a pedestrian or a bicyclist would make their way through the interchange," he asked the engineers who are coming up with the designs for ODOT. About the diverging diamond design, he said, "I'll make sure that doesn't happen here."
Good thing we don't have to worry about that silliness here in good ol' KC&
KC_Hams

Front Street & I-435 Diverging Diamond Interchange Update

Post by KC_Hams »

I emailed MoDOT about this project and here's the reply I received:
Delays in working out a municipal agreement have pushed our project back and it now may be delayed longer because we will not create traffic restrictions at one end of Front Street while the kcICON project (replacement of the Paseo Bridge) creates a closure and reconstruction of Front Street on the west end. If we can work out a window for construction on the east end, we may still be able to do some work sooner, but if not, this project may be pushed back until after the kcICON work concludes, which may be as late as 2011.
Not sure what this is about, check it out at http://www.435ddi.com/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverging_ ... nterchange