Help me find the best place

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Help me find the best place

Post by jimb »

Barstow will set you back about $12-13K a year for elementary per kid.  I believe Pem Hill is in the same ballpark, with Notre Dame de Sion and St Pauls a notch lower.  The parochial schools tend be less expensive, especially if you are a member of a parish church.

Then, of course, there are fees and fund-raising on top of that.

The top-tier private schools provide a great education, but a grand a month is a lot of dough.  Definitely something to keep in mind as you lay out your budget.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Just one thing to clarify.... KCMO is served by 14 school districts and 13 of them are good.  Unfortunately it is the one that serves the urban core that is the bad one.   

You can escape the bad district by living in North Kansas City.   It's a suburb, but it's directly across the river from downtown so you'd have about a 5 minute commute, and downtown NKC is a nice little pedestrian-friendly area - with shops, bars, and restaurants - similar to the Brookside and Waldo neighborhoods mentioned earlier.

As for the JoCo claims you've heard that MO schools suck:
  • Missouri still teaches science.
  • Park Hill, one of the school districts serving  KCMO, routinely beats every JoCo school district in every areawide academic competition.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Charter schools are no cost to KCSD residents. Some do have admitions test and waiting list. My favorite when we were looking was Border Star in Brookside. It's a Montessori.

Not many kids DT.

I would look in Armor Hills. Lots of kids and family friendly. You could by a house for 1200-1300. Plus the max line is right out your back door.

Your wife would be close to a OP type atmosphere. So a good compromise.

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeLis ... 68AC3400EC
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

For what it's worth, I've lived several places in downtown KC.  I lived in New Quality Hill, and while the value was good (price for space), I was never too pleased with the quality of management.  But you may find that anywhere.  I just leased a space at 1518 Walnut (one of the links provided in one of the first follow-up posts) and those are nice.  Though, there aren't any two-bedroom spots, just bigger units.

I was looking at Craig's List and KC Backpage (kc.backpage.com) for lofts every day (subscribed to their RSS) and that turned up stuff here and there.  One place you may look is actually inside the City Market.  There are lofts above all of the little shoppes there and one is available now for rent... 2 bedroom, about the $ you were looking for.
warnett
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by warnett »

Thanks for all the input.

I'll be ready to buy a place here in KC about the time my next 1 year lease is up. I'm originally from Tempe, AZ and my dad and I have bought several rental properties in the Phoenix area in 2000 and 2001. We're in the process of selling them all right now. I'll take the proceeds and get something nice out here. Right now I simply can't get anymore financing. I've tried and my lender is being unreasonable.  :?

I may have to stay on the Kansas side of the border for now. It would be hard to stomach 2K+ per month when both my kids are in school. No one has commented on downtown Kansas City, KS. Anyone like or dislike KCKS?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

scooterj wrote:[*]Park Hill, one of the school districts serving  KCMO, routinely beats every JoCo school district in every areawide academic competition.
[/list]
no they don't....  at least if we're talking about the nerd bowls (i.e Academic Decathlon, Science Knowledge Bowl, Science Olympiad).  The only competition where schools from both states usually go head to head is in Science Knowledge Bowl (for most other academic competitions schools play within state).  In terms of Science Knowledge Bowl, the big hitters for the past decade (in terms of going to the nationals) have been Pembroke Hill, Oak Park (in NKC), and Shawnee Mission South (along with a one time appearance by Barstow).  For other competitions they don't go against each other, so I can't see how they can beat each other.... unless we're talking about other academic competitions I have no experience with (i.e Debate teams, math competitions, etc).

yeah, i was a nerd athlete in high school....  :P
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

warnett wrote:I may have to stay on the Kansas side of the border for now. It would be hard to stomach 2K+ per month when both my kids are in school. No one has commented on downtown Kansas City, KS. Anyone like or dislike KCKS?
well, the schools serving dt KCK aren't that much better than the schools serving urban KCMO.

here's a list of area school districts and their ratings by Expansion Magazine (from an old thread), with RED being the worst possible and GOLD the best:
The EQ is the composite rating so to speak

Missouri:

Blue Springs:  Blue Springs R-IV School District EQ:82/GO:81/RI:56/ CI:85  BLUE

Independence:  Independence 30 School District EQ:65/ GO:62/ RI:66/ CI:46 GREEN

Kansas City:  Kansas City 33 School District EQ:10/ GO:6/ RI:70/ CI:20 RED

Kansas City:  North Kansas City 74 School District EQ:71/GO:68/ RI:62/ CI:66 BLUE

Kansas City: Park Hill School District EQ:89/ GO:87/ RI:62/ CI:85 GOLD

Lee’s Summit: Lee’s Summit R-VII School District EQ:81/ GO:79/ RI:62/ CI:87 BLUE

Liberty: Liberty 53 School District EQ:77/ GO:74/ RI:62/ CI:82  BLUE

Raytown: Raytown C-2 School District EQ:40/ GO:35/ RI:62/ CI:60 GREEN

Kansas:

Kansas City: Kansas City School District EQ:7/ GO:4/ RI:70/ CI:10 RED

Lawrence: Lawrence School District EQ:93/ GO:92/ RI:66/ CI:67 GOLD

Olathe: Olathe School District EQ:87/ GO:84/ RI:67/ CI:89 GOLD

Overland Park: Shawnee Mission Public Schools EQ:93/ GO:91/ RI:66/ CI:88 GOLD

Overland Park: Blue Valley School District EQ:98/ GO:98/ CI:74/ RI:98 GOLD
warnett
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by warnett »

Thanks for that list ComandateCero.
Do you know what EQ, GO, RI, and CI stand for. And are those scores out of 100?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

here's the link to the original thread with a brief summary of what the stuff means, with links to the full article: http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=4947.0
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

chingon wrote: my wife and i have been literally pouring over info on kansas city schools, as we try to decide where our children should go.  i would suggest that you take into consideration a private school payment when deciding how much you can spend on rent.  ( i would also suggest not renting...this is the midwest, the ability to own one's own property is one of the few real benefits of living here).  however, if schools are the deciding factor, the elementary schools in northeast and midtown are reasonable, as long as you don't rely on them to raise your children for you.  or educate your children for you.  but as subsidized daycare, they're ok.  middle schools begin to get dicey, and the public high schools here are practice prisons.  so budget in private school or parochial school for your children if you're serious about their education.  that said, i have heard mixed reviews of lincoln prep, paseo academy and the spanish/french immersion schools.  otherwise, i have not found any evidence to recomend anything but the wholesale abandonment of kcmo public schools.
of course as long as we have pro sports, who gives a shit...go chiefs!!   
I just caught the pro sports note at the bottom of your post.  And yes, they are expensive.  My note is, unfortunately, that in our society too often parents evaluate schools based upon extra-curriculars, with an even larger emphasis on athletic team performance.

That said, I don't believe, as an education professional, that money is the solution (or the lack thereof the problem) with schools in this nation.  Instead, it is the breakdown of the family in conjunction with the concept that a "free" public school education is a "right" and not a "priviliege."  The shift I've seen in my lifetime from where a kid understood there were rules, criteria, and standards that he must abide by or comport to if he/she wanted to attend school to the current situation where the school must abide by the kids determination of what those standards are is the problem.  Good, young teachers don't leave the profession after a few years due to the money issue.  It is usually due to the other B.S. that has nothing to do with real teaching that sucks your soul away that pushes them to move on.

I don't mind the idea of more money for schools (I'd always love to have a nicer facility, better equipment, and a better salary - who wouldn't?).  But to be honest, we could make do without a lot of the technology and the other junk we buy/use.  However, as long as schools are seen as a replacement for the family, then things are going to get screwed up.  I miss the days when this society seemed to understand that all of our "rights" were contingent upon us fulfilling our "responsibilities" that helped to make the system work (at least to a degree).

Sorry about my tangent on this thread.  I've found the discussion interesting, and it illustrates one of the great dilemmas people with kids face when seeking to adopt an urbanist lifestyle.  Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions.  However, the frank discussion of this topic by those with background/personal knowledge/information has been very nice to read.

Later,
Sam S.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

sam, i agree largely about the money issue.  however i think teacher-student ratios of 1:20 and 1:30 are pretty absurd.  if more money = more teachers, i think it's worth it.  however, as you pointed out, a lot of the money is misspent on silly "tech" toys, and administrative pork-barrel nonsense.  i find it offensive and unethical that this city would even consider subsidizing professional sports with the current condition of its schools.  the failure of our schools not just to educate, but to even provide the most basic of safe environments for children is very near criminal, and is the single biggest factor in population loss in urban areas.  and, just so there is no mistake about it, i believe free public education is a right, and the government that takes money from my paycheck is responsible and obligated to provide it.  and i firmly believe that students who jeopardize my child's right to a safe, healthy environment should permanently loose their right to participate.  i do not think schools should raise children.  and the erosion of the family is certainly the biggest culprit in the failure of public education.  but the erosion of the family has some economic roots no one want to talk about.  the problem is is that the same people who like to contend that more money doesn't solve educational don't think twice about spending 20k/year on private schools for their children. 

warnett, if public schools are what you need i might recomend a place in northeast joco (i.e. mission, roland park, westwood) or rosedale in southeast kck.  both are close-in suburbs, with quite a bit of charm in certain areas, lots of rental availability, and solid to excellent elementary schools. 
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

I cannot speak to any school issues, I don't have kids and did not grow up around here. 

As for places to live downtown, you really owe it to yourself to visit 909 Walnu:  909walnut.com 

There are a lot of 2 bedroom units, ranging from 1300 square feet to over 2000 sq ft and some with small balconies and some with large patios (5th and 6th floors only).  There are several residents there I've met who have come from either coast and really seem to like it.  The units are very nice and the amenities are pretty hard to beat for the price.  I'm not trying to sell anyone on it, I just live there.  I looked at a lot of places downtown and although I was looking for a true loft, I could not find the exact combination of ameneities, secured parking, price, etc that I was looking for.  In the end 909 Walnut was super nice, affordable in the size of unit I wanted and had unbeatable amenities I would not hesitate to recommend considereing 909 for people looking to move downtown. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I mentioned this in another thread with someone looking for an urban/suburban compromise.  Not all JoCo neighborhoods are the same.  Take a look around northeastern Johnson County -- Mission, Roeland Park, Fairway -- in the neighborhoods between Mission Hills/Prairie Village and Wyandotte County.  From Roeland Park, I can be on I-35 in minutes and downtown in less than 10 minutes.  I can also walk or bike to Westport or the Plaza.  When my husband worked at Birch, he rode his bike down to the Crossroads every day (although he's a bit eccentric and pretty vigorous [it's a big hill]).

The house we bought was small, but solidly constructed.  It has hardwood floors and a front porch, and it's seated on a large lot (small house = large lot).  Priced out at less than $100K.  Plus some amazing views of downtown from the bluffs along Turkey Creek.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

How bout the Bay Area? California! Bargins Galore!  :lol:

$749,000

This Single Family Residence has the following features:
    MLS#: 602714 Approx Age: 81 Years Approx Sq Ft: 950
    Detached Single Family 1 Story Cabin
    3 Bedrooms 1&1/2 Bathrooms 1 Shower over Tub
    1 Tub Floor Furnace Heat City/Public Water
    1 Car Garage Lot: 1 to 4,500 Sq Ft Deck
    Built-In Oven 1 Dishwasher Disposal
    Fireplace
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

warnett wrote: Hello,
I need help. My wife, daughter and I moved to the area last April. We moved from downtown San Francisco (top of Nob Hill for those of you who are familiar with SF) to Overland Park. I really wanted to move downtown but my wife convinced me to live in OP. Our lease is going to expire April 1st and I'd like to move downtown. Since we moved her last April we had a baby boy so we'll need some space. Can anyone recommend a nice 2 or 3 bedroom condo or loft downtown that is for rent. Our price range is ~$1000 +/- $200. Is it possible to find a unique 2 or 3 bedroom in a nice area with stuff near by to do in that price range? I'm tired of the suburbs. I'm tired of crappy restaurants and commuting. I’m also tired of living so close to in-laws. Please help!
Attached is a home at 3615 Sunrise that you and the misses might like.  The area is very Brookside-ish, but very quiet with views.  And, it is a couple minutes off of downtown for your entertainment pleasure.  At this price, private schools are very normal in the area. This area has been popular with folks from Brookside, and other mid-town neighborhoods so that they are closer to downtown.  A couple more available in this immediate area too in similar price range.  Best of luck!
Attachments
3615 Sunrise Drive.jpg
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Warnett..............................go to  www.kc-lofts.com
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Better Yet...vist the "Urban Living Center" The folks there are exclusive buyers agents so they don't get paid until you are happy.  I visit regularly to update info for my listings and neighborhoods and have found them very knowledgeable.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Warnett.................there's also another site callled www.kccondosearch.com
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

the school thing is starting to weigh on my mind as well with a 6 month old daughter.  i've heard good things about Academy Lafayette (the french immersion school), but you have to be super committed. the class sizes drop dramatically as you go up and they only go to 8th grade. both my neighbors kids love it though and seem to be doing well. i will also be looking at University Academy (blochs & helzbergs), but they pick on random basis after giving preference to the "neighborhood zone" (which i'm out of by a block and a 1/2), then siblings already attending, then employees kids. It seems like a pretty intense place though and strongly focused on just getting them ready for college entrance.  it's totally depressing that this county is so effed up and only worried about giving handouts to the pro teams and the school board is a totally clusterf&ck.  i love living in brookside, but i can't afford private schools.  i dread the thought of leaving the core, but like many before me, it may be inevitable. :(
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

well, luckily you've still got a few years to get things sorted out. What's best for your daughter today may not be the best way to go in 3 or 4 years. You never know.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.