Sirens too loud????

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Sirens too loud????

Post by Steve52 »

If that is a problem you should make sure the soundproofing in your Condo or Loft is adequate before investing.

Especially if you are a light sleeper who gets awoken easily. 

If thats not possible get yourself some "Hushers" foam earplugs if you really need to get a full nights sleep when sleep deprivation is setting in.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Steve52 wrote: If that is a problem you should make sure the soundproofing in your Condo or Loft is adequate before investing.

If thats not possible get yourself some "Hushers" foam earplugs if you really need to get a full nights sleep when sleep deprivation is setting in.

Indeed, If you are sensative to noise you should be careful to check out the quality of the windows and sound insulation before you buy.  We live about a block from both the railroad tracks and a firehouse but since the windows are high quality you really have to concentrate to hear either.  Its not so black and white as "if you don't like noise, dont live in the city".
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Kcfireman wrote:     I live in the River market at Bridgeworks and work at the Fire Station across the street.  I have had several people come up to me and ask if it was necessary that we turn the sirens on when we leave the Engine House????  Maybe I don't get it, but why in gods name would anyone move downtown or to an urban area and bitch about the noises that come with the location?  Do people not realize that when we pull out of the Fire House with lights and sirens, the last thing we could care about is people getting upset because we disturbed their nights sleep?  The people's tax dollers pay for us to respond to 911 calls for help which require lights and sirens.

Sorry about the rant, I just would like some feedback on these thoughts.
No they don't. Until you've saved their home of course. Even then you guys get flack. I heard some homeowners were mad at the fire department because of "water damage". Even though you saved 90% of the home by doing your job.

I guess they must have thought you would arrive to the fire then ask them if they would prefer you laid down protection on the carpets and furniture before you proceeded with putting out the flames.

Sheesh
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

mean wrote: I agree that sirens and such are just part of living in the city, and they don't really bother me, but I have to ask, if it's late at night and there's no traffic...what does it hurt to get 4-5 blocks away? Surely you don't go exactly the same route on every single call, so you'll be blaring the sirens outside different buildings. Spreading the love, so to speak. The people who live in the immediate vicinity of the station, on the other hand, have to hear it every single time there's a call. Just seems like a very minor thing that could make certain neighbors a lot happier.

Of course, that's just because I can't think of a compelling reason why they *must* be on immediately. Such a reason may very well exist that I'm not aware of.
"No traffic" doesn't really mean, there is "no" traffic.  One can't assume that traffic isn't coming down a cross street, turning on the street, or passing by as you exit the station.

The sirens have a purpose.  The lights have a purpose.  It is to warn the public to be aware and get out of the way.  Just because someone in the truck doesn't see someone on the road in front of them, it doesn't account for the issues of where people may or may not be in an urban area that need to be warned and should be warned.

Also, the first time there is an accident because they dont' turn on the sirens, I'm sure we all will like it when the city has to pay for the lawsuit and some fireman doing the "conscientious" thing has his career taken from him (let alone the loss of life for those who were not warned).

If you live near a railroad line - expect trains to come thorugh.  If you live near a fire station - expect sirens.  If you live near an interstate - expect traffic noise.  If you don't have enough common sense to make these connections - don't procreate.

Later,
Sam S.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Do the fire trucks really barrel through an intersection without slowing down to make sure no one is coming, even with sirens on?  Whenever I see one, it slows down and makes sure it isn't going to t-bone some one in their Civic who is thumping their bass too loud and can't hear the siren anyway.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I still don't see the compelling need. Of course one can't assume that traffic isn't coming down a cross street, etc; one looks to see if there is traffic. Switch the cherries on, even, to let any coming traffic know you aren't going to yield to them...but sirens? I can't even hear them when my windows are up and I'm driving around, until they're practically on top of me. The lights are much more effective.

Anyway, making up false scenarios about pending accidents and lost jobs, and suggesting that people who don't think the same way you do shouldn't breed isn't very productive.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Steve52 wrote: If that is a problem you should make sure the soundproofing in your Condo or Loft is adequate before investing.

Thats a good idea, ear plugs.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Paintfumes wrote: Thats a good idea, ear plugs.
I swear by em on those noisy summer weekend nights.

Now I fully understand what some of the neighbors are talking about when they say "we're going out of town for the weekend to get some peace and quiet".
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

As Petular Clark sang, "listen to the music of the traffic in the city......Downtown!"
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

technically we are required to respond with ALL emergency warning devices operating on all runs that are dispatched as emergencies.  otherwise, the driver could be held criminally liable for failing to properly warn other drivers that he was driving in emergency mode.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

moderne wrote:   As Petular Clark sang, "listen to the music of the traffic in the city......Downtown!"
The composer of that song wrote that with The Drifters in mind. 

Clark snapped it up instead.
snarf
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snarf »

Personally, I actually like the sounds of the sirens.  I'm used to them now and they don't wake me up.  It's such an urban sound and is part of what urban living is all about.  I am very proud of our Firefighters and Police Officers -- you guys turn on that siren loud and proud!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah i don't understand how people can move next to a firehouse and get angry when they hear sirens.  it's like when the Western Auto Bldg residents were pissed that they could hear noise from the 20 railroad tracks directly outside their window.  train noise?  no shit? 

this issue has been in the media recently as well, in the much-publicized Chicago story wherein new city ordinances are putting severe limits on street performers along posh Michigan Ave.  apperently some of the millionaire condo owners were pissed that they could hear Chicago's famous bucket-drummers and saxophone players.  newsflash:  if you live on one of the busiest streets in one of america's most bustling cities, you're going to hear these things.  :x
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

They shouldn't turn on their siren until they're out of the city. How many fires are inside the city, probably not any ? Write to the Mayor since she's in charge. Muh- hahahahahaha.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Paintfumes wrote: They shouldn't turn on their siren until they're out of the city. How many fires are inside the city, probably not any ? Write to the Mayor since she's in charge. Muh- hahahahahaha.
You are officially a moron.  No fires in the city?  Put the paint down for just a little while.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Paintfumes wrote: They shouldn't turn on their siren until they're out of the city. How many fires are inside the city, probably not any ? Write to the Mayor since she's in charge. Muh- hahahahahaha.
gold spray paint should be behind the counter with sudafed
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

lock&load wrote: You are officially a moron.  No fires in the city?  Put the paint down for just a little while.

Hey Lack and Lobe , when was the last fire ?  Muh-hahahaha
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Paintfumes wrote: Hey Lack and Lobe , when was the last fire ?   Muh-hahahaha
Put the paint can down, a quick search on the star finds this

http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/lnk/ ... v/play.asx

so, this week
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

chrizow wrote: yeah i don't understand how people can move next to a firehouse and get angry when they hear sirens.  it's like when the Western Auto Bldg residents were pissed that they could hear noise from the 20 railroad tracks directly outside their window.  train noise?  no shit? 
I remember reading one knucklehead posting out here with that complait.  Western Auto residents in general were not pissed about the railroad tracks.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Paintfumes wrote:

Hey Lack and Lobe , when was the last fire ?   Muh-hahahaha
i do not even live within a thousand miles of kcmo and even i know this one..............2 days ago. a lumber yard.
Paintfumes wrote:   Muh-hahahaha
who told you this was cool? please stop, it adds nothing to these threads.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D