The Mixx

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: The Mixx

Post by Theiler »

Sounds good... I'll have to check it out.  I often forget that there're places up there by the library... very hidden from the street.
Last edited by Theiler on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Tosspot wrote: I work across the street from the Mixx, and although the food is good usually, it's overpriced. But there are just enough yuppies with more money than sense to keep paying $11 for a frickin sandwich.
that's me. but i usually go for the salads.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The past couple of times I've been in here it was almost empty, a year ago it was packed.  What gives?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yuppies rejoice! the mixx is expanding into adjacent empty retail space. permit is posted and construction appears underway.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i ate here on friday, the first time in a few months.  it was very delicious.  the sandwich i had was like $8 and i subbed a salad for chips for $1.49.  for around $10 i had a large, delicious salad (jalapeno vinaigrette, mmm) and a veggie wrap, which i thought was pretty reasonable given the quality of ingredients and preparation.  i suspect this place is packed at lunch, but there were maybe 12 other people in there when i was there at 7 or so friday evening.
Last edited by chrizow on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

I don't think the prices are that outrageous: I eat there about three times a week and I get a huge salad with a filet of salmon on top for $10 -- pretty reasonable, in my opinion -- and their ingredients are always fresh.  They also have some soups of odd combinations (Thai coconut, pumpkin curry, et al) but they always taste ridiculously delicious.  The line typically stretches out of the door during the lunch hour, which I'm sure will be alleviated by the expansion.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

New Mixx coming to Power & Light next year ( by ChefBurger ) according to this AM's Star.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DiggityDawg wrote: New Mixx coming to Power & Light next year ( by ChefBurger ) according to this AM's Star.
That is fantastic news! A great local establishment!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I likey the Mixx mucho  - if they would just allow a half soup/sandwich or half pasta with the full menu.  Big score for P&L and downtowners.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

But doesn't the power & light district suck?  Don't they hate local establishments?  What gives?  :shock:
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Here's the linky...I was in a rush this AM :

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/371
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCTigerFan wrote: But doesn't the power & light district suck?  Don't they hate local establishments?  What gives?   :shock:
:lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

went today downtown for lunch.  Awesome place and great add to the neighborhood.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Don't forget these places for dinner!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: Don't forget these places for dinner!
open till 9:00 PM.  :cheers:

Mixx also has an espresso bar also I believe? Good Savvy replacement for afternoon/weekend coffee...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

went in for dinner last night (and took a downtowner who'd never been!). a perfect replica of the plaza location's aesthetic. i love the new mini version for salads, which were really too large to consume in one sitting. my fave, garden of eden, is still on the menu. looks like they've permanently added some pastas (instead of just one daily special). will probably stay away at lunch, since i expect big crowds. they'll probably need the business at night more anyway.

the outdoor space looks great, too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone else been in lately? curious if there's much of a lunch crowd -- i assume there is -- and if they've worked out their ordering kinks.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

i've been twice, once for lunch on first Sat - tables about 50% busy.  was also there next Sat for dinner (I think Miami Heat game going on), tables over 90% used.

i like that they now offer half orders of pasta and cups of soup.  but they don't have daily pasta anymore, which is a bummer cause I like their chipotle pasta not on the daily menu.

one new item really sucked... the salmon sliders.. was gross, couldn't eat it, more like salmon spam on way wrong kind of bread.  everything else as good as plaza location.  my top pick for p&l in terms of quality for its restaurant category.  just skip the salmon slider unless you like spam.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Me and two other colleagues went during lunch and it was PACKED.  No indoor space was available and the line was not getting any smaller.  The Garden of Eden with grilled chicken is the shizzle!!  I'm looking forward to eating there more often.  :)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

For the second consecutive year, Fast Casual magazine named The Mixx restaurant as one of its "Top 100 Movers & Shakers," the only Kansas City-based concept to make the latest list. The Mixx was No. 97 on last year's list and is now No. 52 (ahead of much larger chains such as Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches at No. 58).
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/15/18 ... esses.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag