New Threads

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Threads

Post by bahua »

MidWestSider wrote: too bad saks belly up'd..  you couldve got a fresh pair of these.

Dolce & Gabbana
Peace Sign Jeans
Heavily distressed and frayed, this five-pocket style is detailed with a sequin and bead peace sign on the back pocket.
Tapered fit

$895.00

Saks Mens Jeans - Link
Yeah, I don't need rent! I just need some used jeans!

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I think I'll start shopping at the thrift store.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Honestly! Who, that wears ratty-looking jeans, has $900 to spend on them?
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Don't forget Express for men.  Great essentials.  I also really enjoy the bargain rack at the Jones Store or Dillards.  So many times I've gotten $75 jeans for $20.  If you shop correctly and off season you are walking around in designer jeans and spending just as much as the person wearing Walmart jeans who does not know how to shop
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Express?  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Run away!  Run away!  (Sorry.  I'm not a fan.  That stuff seems so cheap and micro-trendy that I can't even tell what's coming in vs. going out on sale).
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Dillard's takes care of me, when I go shopping every two or three years.
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

it was awhile ago, but whoever mentioned buying their clothes at Costco and anyone who thinks that is a good idea: please stop.  I LOVE Costco as much as the next person, but I look at people buying clothes there and I just have to cringe.  Of course, I realize everybody isn't going to agree with me here, but c'mon; clothes are supposed to make you look good.  Clothes are supposed to increase your attractiveness quotient in some way, to make you look sexy or rich or down to earth or whatever you want.  Buying clothes on sale or at TJ Maxx is great, if that is your thing.  But I have to draw the line at Costco.  Anybody can do better than that.  For the price you are paying you could easily find something more interesting at any number of places, including the GAP, and the GAP is very, very boring.  I'm not saying you need to have $900 Dolce & Gabbana jeans from Saks, but please, not Costco.  Not ever. 

I would never appreciate somebody telling me what clothes to wear or wear to buy them, but I just can't stand the thought of people buying clothes at a warehouse club.  What really pisses me off is how Calvin Klein can sell his naming rights to some 6th rate jeans company, and then they continue to make the same stonewashed 90's butt-ugly product and slap the Calvin Klein name on them, and people buying them at Costco suddenly think they are getting high fashion at a discount.  Well, they aren't.  Yes, Costco does actually sell a few "real" designer wares (have you ever looked at their jewelery case?  holy crap some of that stuff is very high end), and that is acceptable.  But other than that, please stay away.  Thank you for listening to my rant. 
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

bahua wrote: Honestly! Who, that wears ratty-looking jeans, has $900 to spend on them?
Damn! I thought my Sacred Blue jeans were expensive but $900???? Wow!
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Robafurd wrote: it was awhile ago, but whoever mentioned buying their clothes at Costco and anyone who thinks that is a good idea: please stop. I LOVE Costco as much as the next person, but I look at people buying clothes there and I just have to cringe. Of course, I realize everybody isn't going to agree with me here, but c'mon; clothes are supposed to make you look good. Clothes are supposed to increase your attractiveness quotient in some way, to make you look sexy or rich or down to earth or whatever you want. Buying clothes on sale or at TJ Maxx is great, if that is your thing. But I have to draw the line at Costco. Anybody can do better than that. For the price you are paying you could easily find something more interesting at any number of places, including the GAP, and the GAP is very, very boring. I'm not saying you need to have $900 Dolce & Gabbana jeans from Saks, but please, not Costco. Not ever.

I would never appreciate somebody telling me what clothes to wear or wear to buy them, but I just can't stand the thought of people buying clothes at a warehouse club. What really pisses me off is how Calvin Klein can sell his naming rights to some 6th rate jeans company, and then they continue to make the same stonewashed 90's butt-ugly product and slap the Calvin Klein name on them, and people buying them at Costco suddenly think they are getting high fashion at a discount. Well, they aren't. Yes, Costco does actually sell a few "real" designer wares (have you ever looked at their jewelery case? holy crap some of that stuff is very high end), and that is acceptable. But other than that, please stay away. Thank you for listening to my rant.
Robafurd, you are so right on!!!!  Cosco's clothes are totally hideous.  I have never seen any pants there that isn't blatenly tappered, looking like a carrot.  Really I could not agree more with this mentality.  Sure go to a warehouse to get your mayo, snacks, liquor, furniture, etc but clothes come on.  Where is the asethetic pride in that!?!
Yea Calvin Klien does have some range in its price and quality.  If you shop at Cosco for clothes because you think they look good, you should apply at Sprint or DST and start wearing a name tag around your belt.  To HELL with the horrible "dressy causual" dress code, as expected Costco clothes line up perfectly with this horrible trend in fashion
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Cargo Largo.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shinatoo wrote: Cargo Largo.
also an amazing place to pick up a pleather couch and bootlegged Jadakiss cd's.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

TJMaxx or Target would be my suggestions.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kc-vino wrote: Robafurd, you are so right on!!!!  Cosco's clothes are totally hideous.  I have never seen any pants there that isn't blatenly tappered, looking like a carrot.  Really I could not agree more with this mentality.  Sure go to a warehouse to get your mayo, snacks, liquor, furniture, etc but clothes come on.  Where is the asethetic pride in that!?!
Yea Calvin Klien does have some range in its price and quality.  If you shop at Cosco for clothes because you think they look good, you should apply at Sprint or DST and start wearing a name tag around your belt.  To HELL with the horrible "dressy causual" dress code, as expected Costco clothes line up perfectly with this horrible trend in fashion
And who else in their right mind would but the same brand name on a pair of jeans as a bottle of water and a box of trash bags?!?
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Robafurd wrote: it was awhile ago, but whoever mentioned buying their clothes at Costco and anyone who thinks that is a good idea: please stop. 
I didn't even know they sold clothing at Costco. Actually to tell the truth, I've never been in a wholsale club store. I'm not that big into paying for memberships to spend money.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I am normally a Banana Republic kind of guy but I will confess to having baught a couple of $15 Costco/Kirkland dress shirts for work.  They were actually surprisingly good shirts.  They also have good buys for stocking up on socks and boxers. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I am normally a Banana Republic kind of guy but I will confess to having baught a couple of $15 Costco/Kirkland dress shirts for work.  They were actually surprisingly good shirts.  They also have good buys for stocking up on socks and boxers. 
exactly.  who cares about the default white dress-shirt?  get 'em cheap, wherever.  you'll just get coffee or printer toner on them anyway.  i get my dress shirts on sale at Dillard's or Famous-Barr.  i refuse to pay more than $19.99 for a shirt or tie....and i also wear nothing but BCBG, Ralph Lauren, etc.
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

KCMax wrote: I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy, I just need to throw out all my old jeans because they are all 90s style. I also need some fairly nice shirts for going out to bars when a t-shirt just won't cut it. I'd rather not spend a lot of money but I don't have to pinch pennies. Something age-appropriate for a 27 year old that won't make me look like I'm trying to relive my college years, but doesn't make me look like my dad.
You sound like someone who should avoid buying trendoid stuff.  As you don't buy new clothes very often, you need to get the most bang for you buck on stuff that will last for years so stick with classic stuff like:

flat front trousers (solid black, gray, and a couple of pairs with a pinstripe) with no cuffs
plain button down shirt (white, blue, green, red) - no French cuffs or pockets
basic v-neck sweaters (black, green, blue)
basic t-shirts (black, white) at banana or express, not walmart.

Stick with basic colors.  Buy stuff that fits!  No oversized crap.

Get stuff made from good material - it gives women a reason to touch you. Generally, a $20 shirts look like $20 shirt.  Pay for quality. 

Baggy jeans in the ass area will make you look like you're caring a load around.  Women want to see your ass, so unless it is big fat one, buy jeans that make it look good.  Levi makes fairly trendy & reasonably priced jeans.  However, I think you can also justify throwing $200 at a pair of trendoid jeans, because you will wear them often - check out Nordstrom.  Regardless, stick with boot cut.  

The trendy stuff will go out of style too quick for you, and digging in bargin bins isn't worth the effort for a casual shopper, particularly if you aren't a standard size.  If you are going to go trendy with anything, focus on shoes (black) or a belt (black) with an interesting buckle.

As many have recommended, banana is probably the best place for your needs.

And stay away from t-shirts with logos or clever sayings....unless they say radiohead on them.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

agreed, myxo. 

my advice:  suck it up and pay $100+ for a pair of awesome jeans at Nordstrom or on Ebay.  Diesel, Seven, AG, Paper, etc.  if you wear something on top that fits properly, you'll look like a million bucks even if said top came from Goodwill. 

also:  buy clothes as tight as your body type will allow.  this means buy things fitted/tailored to your shape.  this makes you look like you care about your clothes.  by contrast, people who wear things two sizes too large because it is "comfortable" look fat.  potato sacks are not cool. 

aside from pricey jeans, which i think are worth it, find cheap shirts/jackets at thrift stores, tj maxx, etc.  also, don't be afraid to frequent more pricey stores like Banana Republic, A/X, Hall's, etc., because the sales can be ridiculous.  i wear nothing but Diesel, BR, Seven, A/X, etc., and i also NEVER pay more than $40 for anything...ever.  you just have to hit the clearance racks and Ebay.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

myxomatosis wrote: You sound like someone who should avoid buying trendoid stuff.  As you don't buy new clothes very often, you need to get the most bang for you buck on stuff that will last for years so stick with classic stuff like:

flat front trousers (solid black, gray, and a couple of pairs with a pinstripe) with no cuffs
plain button down shirt (white, blue, green, red) - no French cuffs or pockets
basic v-neck sweaters (black, green, blue)
basic t-shirts (black, white) at banana or express, not walmart.

Stick with basic colors.  Buy stuff that fits!  No oversized crap.

Get stuff made from good material - it gives women a reason to touch you. Generally, a $20 shirts look like $20 shirt.  Pay for quality. 

Baggy jeans in the ass area will make you look like you're caring a load around.  Women want to see your ass, so unless it is big fat one, buy jeans that make it look good.  Levi makes fairly trendy & reasonably priced jeans.  However, I think you can also justify throwing $200 at a pair of trendoid jeans, because you will wear them often - check out Nordstrom.  Regardless, stick with boot cut.  

The trendy stuff will go out of style too quick for you, and digging in bargin bins isn't worth the effort for a casual shopper, particularly if you aren't a standard size.  If you are going to go trendy with anything, focus on shoes (black) or a belt (black) with an interesting buckle.

As many have recommended, banana is probably the best place for your needs.

And stay away from t-shirts with logos or clever sayings....unless they say radiohead on them.
I think you just described me to a tee. And I even have a Radiohead t-shirt.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

chrizow wrote: this makes you look like you care about your clothes.
exactly! particularly helpful in attracting girls (or guys).