Dec. 22 Press Conference

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dec. 22 Press Conference

Post by bahua »

I didn't get anything from that statement that would indicate whether he supported the tax measure or not. I think he was just trying to point what he sees as hypocrisy of many urban dwellers.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

So how long until the organized Vote No campagin is together?  Where do I send my check :)
tommy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tommy »

"Agree with the ownership.  But many posters are seem to be willing to spend a billion dollars (total cost to taxpayers) for just, and only just, a downtown baseball stadium."

The DTC plan included taxpayer money going toward Arrowhead too- so it wasn't just for a downtown ballpark.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Nobody has explained to me why David Glass-hole thinks he can donate 25M and get 200M in return.

That's fuzzy math to me.  Tell him to move to Portland. MLB is dead in 1/2 the markets anyway - renovations or not.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Whats in this proposal thats a perk for Jax County residents over out of county game attendees? 
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

David Glass is going to contribute $25 million and receive 200+ mil in return.

THE END
Calling a spade a spade.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i think it is funny as hell how half the posters on this board would vote yes in a split second, for more money than this, if a non needed downtown stadium was in the proposal. someone on here, i do not remember whom, put up a drawing, looking like a 5 year old drew it, mocking me, saying please let us keep kauffman. yet, now, that it is clear that is what will happen, posters here are acting like the babies. since you do not get a proposal for a downtown stadium, fuck it, you will vote no.

man that is sad. bistate II, think big, failed, but not in jackson county. jackson county voters have a long history of voting yes for well thought out proposals. this one is exactly that. and it will pass.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Jacko voters voted slightly yes, b/c they thought it was nice to stick JoCo with half the bill.

That won't be the case this time, and that's why I think this thing fails.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: a non needed downtown stadium
your opinion does not equal fact
kcdcchef wrote: since you do not get a proposal for a downtown stadium, fuck it, you will vote no.
there IS a proposal for a downtown stadium.  the jaxco yahoos didn't bother to look at it.  and vote NO i will.
kcdcchef wrote: jackson county voters have a long history of voting yes for well thought out proposals. this one is exactly that.
we'll check again in april.  3/8 of a cent on every purchase for 25 YEARS to fix up stadiums in a terrible location.  i'm not sure how well thought out that is.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The opposition must continue to use the words, "Billion dollars" in every attack ad.

That should scare enough senior citizens into voting this down.

tommy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tommy »

"i think it is funny as hell how half the posters on this board would vote yes in a split second, for more money than this, if a non needed downtown stadium was in the proposal."

The DTC proposal asked taxpayers for a little over 400 million too, and that is for the Royals and Chiefs- so I don't know where you get the "more money" from. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

tommy wrote: "i think it is funny as hell how half the posters on this board would vote yes in a split second, for more money than this, if a non needed downtown stadium was in the proposal."

The DTC proposal asked taxpayers for a little over 400 million too, and that is for the Royals and Chiefs- so I don't know where you get the "more money" from. 
i will be happy to explain it to you. the downtown stadium is SUPPOSED ( in caps, means a cold day in hell supposed ) to cost 400m. plus money for the chiefs. which, equals more than 400m. 400m + 200m for the chiefs, = 600m. this asks for 400m for both.

got it?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
tommy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tommy »

"i will be happy to explain it to you. the downtown stadium is SUPPOSED ( in caps, means a cold day in hell supposed ) to cost 400m. plus money for the chiefs. which, equals more than 400m. 400m + 200m for the chiefs, = 600m. this asks for 400m for both.

got it?"

Read the DTC Plan- the total cost of the staduim may be close to $400 million, but only $200 comes from the taxpayers!

GOT IT?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

tommy wrote: "i will be happy to explain it to you. the downtown stadium is SUPPOSED ( in caps, means a cold day in hell supposed ) to cost 400m. plus money for the chiefs. which, equals more than 400m. 400m + 200m for the chiefs, = 600m. this asks for 400m for both.

got it?"

Read the DTC Plan- the total cost of the staduim may be close to $400 million, but only $200 comes from the taxpayers!

GOT IT?

IT DOES NOT FUCKEN MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY ARE YOU GOING TO BUILD A DOWNTOWN STADIUM IN 2008 FOR 400M. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. AND THEY NEVER PRESENTED A PLAN TO THE VOTERS ANYWAYS, BECAUSE NOONE THAT MATTERS WANTED IT.

DOWNTOWN BASEBALL IS DEAD. FOR AT LEAST 30 MORE YEARS. THANK GOD.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

If by 30 years you mean May 2006 - right after the sports authority plan falls through
tommy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tommy »

kcdcchef wrote:
Actually, it does matter a lot.  

Maybe not to you because it sounds like you will be against a downtown ballpark no matter what.  But it matters a lot to people when they hear that they can spent $200 million on renovating the K or spend $200 million that WILL GO TOWARD a new ballpark along with other money (not from the taxpayer).

What will the total cost be?  The DTC says $357 million.  Will it be higher in '08?  Possibly.  Do I know how much higher?  No.  And quite honestly neither do you.  

But if the cost to the taxpayer for a downtown ballpark stays similar to the cost of renovation, then it will be hard to vote for renovation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pa....jaxco has supported these stadiums for 30 years but you honestly believe they only voted yes in the BS2 because they were trying to "stick it to JoCo"?  Come on...use some sense.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcdcchef wrote: i think it is funny as hell how half the posters on this board would vote yes in a split second, for more money than this, if a non needed downtown stadium was in the proposal.
There's nothing funny about it, really. We had a chance to do something which I believe would have been good for 1) me, 2) the city, and 3) the Royals, in that order. Sadly, the county blew it. What I think is funny as hell is that you think I should vote for something I don't want. Why would I do that?
kcdcchef wrote: yet, now, that it is clear that is what will happen, posters here are acting like the babies. since you do not get a proposal for a downtown stadium, fuck it, you will vote no.
So voting against things we believe are bad for us personally, bad for the city, and probably bad for the team is the wrong thing to do? I couldn't disagree more.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: OK if AKP comes out in support of this tax initiative after feeding us negative crap for ages about the fiscal responsibility of every single tax financed or tax abated project downtown than I think we can all begin to pose some serious questions about the sincerity of his motives.  
I have said in the past that I have voted for tax increases and have voted against tax increases.
Now, on this issue it is very likely I will vote for it.
Why?  Because it may not be a great deal to the Jackson County taxpayer but it is a good deal.  Given the reality of the situation it is better than building a new baseball stadium downtown and a new football stadium somewhere (probably at TSC).  And it will certainly be at quite a bit lower cost than new stadiums.

Now the challenge to DTC.  Come up with a better deal (and not just some numbers put together - something concrete) for the taxpayer to take care of both teams at the same cost to the taxpayer.  The taxpayer being either the KCMO resident or a JaCo resident.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

tommy wrote: The DTC plan included taxpayer money going toward Arrowhead too- so it wasn't just for a downtown ballpark.
Show that to be the case.  Their tax proposal was just for a DT stadium if memory is correct.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.