Lenexa CityCenter

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Lenexa CityCenter

Post by trailerkid »

Slappy the Wang wrote:I think they've allowed too much dust to settle on this project to get the desired quality of tenants originally envisioned. SERIOUS retailers/developers exploring the metro will be first considering KC Live, the Speedway and Zona Rosa way before ever finding Renner Blvd.
Western Jo Co is booming...they'll touch the Douglas County line in another 10 years. In my opinion, this project is too close to Oak Park Mall and not close enough to the new growth in Lenexa, Olathe and Shawnee to be successful. Although, this project has the potential to be more impressive than any of the other "new urban" projects KC has seen thus far because of the variety of uses and buildings.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Lenexa CityCenter

Post by Thrillcekr »

Slappy the Wang wrote:I think they've allowed too much dust to settle on this project to get the desired quality of tenants originally envisioned. SERIOUS retailers/developers exploring the metro will be first considering KC Live, the Speedway and Zona Rosa way before ever finding Renner Blvd.
I agree Slappy. I also think, even though that is a very nice looking project, it would look totally out of place for that region of the metro. NKC, Riverside, or KCK would seem like a much more suitable place for that sort of project but at this time I think the metro area has enough on its plate.

I don't disagree that JoCo will probably be full all the way up to Douglas County in 10 years. Even though it said in the paper today that JoCo growth is slowing that's probably still likely to occur. However, KCMO north of the river will be extended into Clinton and possibly Ray Counties by that time also. That is then though and this is now. Now their aren't enough people around to start up another project of that magnitude before we've even finished what we have. Somebody would surely go belly up. Maybe in 10 years when JoCo actually does reach that size then it would be safe to consider breaking ground on a project like that.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Lenexa CityCenter

Post by skim82 »

Lenexa CityCenter will happen!!!!!!!!

It will be located on both sides of I-435 and 87th Street...

Preliminary numbers for retail space are expected to exceed 400,000 square feet — more than former City Center developers, the Haile Group of Gainesville, Fla.

Neighboring developments include City Center East, a 17-acre mixed-use development project that plans to break ground soon; City Center North, a 67-acre mixed-use development that the Planning Commission will consider Monday; and the Golf Club of Kansas, an 18-hole residential golf course to be located to the immediate west of City Center.

Boehm re-emphasized that the proposal still is in the preliminary stages and that it could be at least a year and a half before any ground is broken. City Center is expected to feature parks, plazas, a community activity center, other public buildings, shops, restaurants, offices and residential space including townhouses, apartments and lofts.

....... Could be similar to Zona Rosa in the Northland.....  I hope they take notes.... b/c Zona Rosa is freaking awesome..... blows town center in Leawood away......
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i'd really like to see renderings.  Cause my understanding is that they threw the old ones out (the old ones looked pretty cool).  I'd hope they just went with the old design, but it sounds like it's changed quite a bit since back then.....
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

1-  City Center is announced
2-  Zona Rosa is announced
3-  Zona Rosa is built
4-  Zona Rosa opens
5-  City Center is re-announced

I hope that the delay is only going to make it better- it does sound like the development will be larger.  The original renderings were awsome- better than ZR, I thought. Hopefully it gets off the drawing board this time!
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I didn't mean to imply that it won't happen, but I firmly believe what Mike Boehm said in that article about ground not breaking for at least a year and a half. Not only is there still tons of planning and designing to do, they still aren't even sure how much demand there is. I am confident that the city would rather wait until there is plenty of demand for the full project instead of scaling it down to meet current demand. What that means is that once the project does get under way, we will know it is of the highest quality possible, not some halfway effort that we all in KC are tired of.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think Boehm is referring to the main site phase of the project - that obviously has more planning to go.  However, the somewhat vague references in the Lenexa resident newsletters have indicated that the Eastern "gateway" part of the project (on the East side of Renner) is a go here in the immediate future.  I got the impression that this piece of the project would break ground late summer - early fall.  This phase of the project is going to include two mixed use towers and a holiday inn.  Interestingly I believe they are using a different developer for this first phase than the one they have lined up to do the main part of the project accross the street. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hopefully this will be as great as The Great Mall in Olathe.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

:roll:

thanks for the meaningfuly contribution to this topic. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

skim82 wrote: ....... Could be similar to Zona Rosa in the Northland.....  I hope they take notes.... b/c Zona Rosa is freaking awesome..... blows town center in Leawood away......
Why do people even bring up Town Center when talking about new urbanism projects.  Town Center is a strip mall.  Period.

I'm sure this project will get built though, why wouldn't it?
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

GRID wrote: Why do people even bring up Town Center when talking about new urbanism projects. Town Center is a strip mall. Period.

I'm sure this project will get built though, why wouldn't it?
Exactly.... my emphasis was that TC was a joke, and if anything it should resemble ZonaRosa or the king of them all the CCPlaza...

BTW..... It looks like the CityCenter will be much larger than the originial proposal by the Haile Group...  Does anyone know how much sq ft. or retail ZR has????? 

This is a great project not only for Lenexa, but mid/upper scale retail starved Shawnee and West WyCo...
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I agree that if it gets built, it will probably be impressive- the delay probably has as much to do with Lenexa not being happy with the plans as it had to do with lack of tenants (or Lenexa wanting to wait for the right tenants instead of soing a half-ass job) which means that it will hopefully be done right.  It is just frustrating to hear that it will be another year and a half!
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Let's see, how about a freeway flyer bus with dedicated lanes down the middle of K-10 from Lawrence to City Center, pick up MAX to either take a  northward KCK route, a southward JoCo route or take it to the Plaza, then to the stadiums, then maybe back to the Plaza, then how about Crown Center, Crossroads, the Loop, Zona Rosa, and the airport for shits and grins.  Ahhhh, to dream...
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

BVC wrote: Let's see, how about a freeway flyer bus with dedicated lanes down the middle of K-10 from Lawrence to City Center, pick up MAX to either take a  northward KCK route, a southward JoCo route or take it to the Plaza, then to the stadiums, then maybe back to the Plaza, then how about Crown Center, Crossroads, the Loop, Zona Rosa, and the airport for shits and grins.  Ahhhh, to dream...
Overkill for the time being.  8)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Tosspot wrote: Overkill for the time being.  8)
Thanks for pissing in my Cheerios... :)
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

BVC,

do u really think that they will expand K-10 soon???

Also, I know its very far away.... but i could totally see a California Pizza Kitchen... Pf Changs...Hereford house..wait, nevermind there's alreay one going in off 435 and Midland.... but anyway.... what kind of tenants do you think the citycenter will attract???
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

skim, K-10 was not on the radar of KDOT for expansion or upgrades beyond interchange additions until recently.  My cousin works for a firm that does much of KDOT's work and while at a family gathering he expressed that K-10 was becoming a big "concern" of sorts because of the much more rapid growth of  NW Olathe.  Expect 6-8 lanes between 435 and K-7 very soon (5-10 yrs) under their current shift in thinking...of course according to my cousin and not me.  Also, commuter transit has been kicked around for service between Topeka-Lawrence-Greater Kansas City for a little while now.  Everything from trains to "freeway flyers" with dedicated lanes on the high end of thought to just plain old buses.  Any rendition of those ideas would be good because if growth patterns hold steady, increase, or even slightly decrease, supposedly KDOT sees reason to look forward to what the future will need, again according to my cousin.  That's part of the reason 70 is expanding between Lawrence and Topeka with expansion between Lawrence and KC to follow once the initial expansion is completed.  BUT, don't hold your breath on anything other than the Lone Elm interchange coming up fairly soon (3-5 yrs).  I don't think nor does it warrant expansion for years...

Anyway, I would expect primarily the typical mall chains to inhabit the Lenexa City Center but who knows, something could pop up and surprise us.  I do think it will be pretty successful though and hopefully learn from mistakes in architecture, urban design, and tenant selection that have made most of other neo-urbanistic centers a bit bland albeit better than malls.  JoCo needs a real, urbanistic center even if it is planned and not self-evolving.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I agree....

Joco does need a real urbanism area...

New Urbanism Shapes Plans for Lenexa City Center-East Village

New Urbanism Shapes Plans for Lenexa City Center-East Village

GBA Land Plan Provides a Walkable Community for Residents, Employees, and Visitors
New urbanism is shaping the design of Lenexa City Center뭩 East Village, an exciting new 17-acre mixed-use development planned for Lenexa, Kansas. Located on 87th Street between I-435 and Renner Boulevard, the development will offer residents, employees, and visitors the opportunity to enjoy restaurants, retail shops, and green space, all in a walkable community.

First-Phase Development to Begin this Summer
The first phase of the development, which was approved by the Lenexa City Council in March for construction this summer, will include an attractive five-story, 192,200-square-foot building. The building will feature colorful tile and awnings, glass block, and a rooftop garden and will house 60 residential condominium units totaling 78,000 square feet on the top two floors. An additional 57,700 square feet on the first floor will be devoted to retail space, with parking provided on the second and third floors.

Traditional, Mixed-Use Community Incorporates Modern Spaces and Amenities
According to GBA Project Manager Wayne Kirchhoff, ASLA, who has provided land planning and landscape architectural services for East Village, the design is intended to recreate a traditional, mixed-use community while meeting the needs of today뭩 consumer. 밢ur goal is to create a diverse, walkable, mixed-use neighborhood while incorporating the modern spaces and amenities and ample parking expected by today뭩 user,?he said. GBA is also providing design services for the five-story residential, retail, and parking structure.

Final Plan Calls for Eight Buildings Totaling More Than 600,000 Square Feet
Varnum Armstrong Deeter LLC, which is headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, is developing Lenexa City Center뭩 East Village. Two other buildings are planned for the first phase of development including a 103-room Holiday Inn Express and a 69,900-square-foot office/retail building. When fully completed, Lenexa City Center뭩 East Village will include eight buildings totaling more than 600,000 square feet. First-phase construction is scheduled for completion in 2005/2006.

This is just for CityCenter East..... I guess this thing will have a few other "Sections" such as CityCenter North, South, blah, blah, blah.......
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

skim82 wrote:

This is just for CityCenter East..... I guess this thing will have a few other "Sections" such as CityCenter North, South, blah, blah, blah.......
CityCenter East will be the part on the South East corner of Renner and 87th.  The rest of it will be to the South West of the intersection. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I'm also excited to hear about the new Golf Club of Kansas......

Looks like it will be a very upscale golf course community..... Just add it to the long line of golf courses and driving ranges off of K10/K7/ 435......  The terrain in Western Lenexa is goregous.... almost looks like the more hillier parts of Austin, TX....just a little......

Very cool, Looks like Lee's Summit is proposing CityWalk(new urbanism project) NKC has Zona Rosa, and now JoCo will get a REAL urbanism project in the CityCenter.....

One thing though,  The name "CityCenter" seems kinda ironic..... not for Lenexa.... but from a regional sense......