KC developer Townsend considering Omaha condo tower

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KC developer Townsend considering Omaha condo tower

Post by eomaha.com »

YOUR source?  Or Aaron's ?  :)

Underscore -rumor- many times.  There is reason to believe a residential building will be constructed on the former site of the UP headquarters... but I'll be very surprised if it is anywhere near as tall as these secret sources are suggesting.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

I know Aaron. We've talked quite a bit. But the point is I love how a KCer is doing such a prominant project in Omaha. Why do you have to be so down on Omaha all the time Jeff. Be more like me. :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm cheering for you but I will hand over this website if Townsend builds a condo tower even over 300'.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

We already have a website.  You can just create us a dedicated Omaha forum where DTO can more prominantly share his latest figures on Qwest Center seating.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sounds good.

Omaha Cowboy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

KCPowercat-

Be prepared to set up that forum..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
'If you're going to talk the talk, then you better walk the walk!'..

-Former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson (who predicted to the media a Cowboys victory the night before) after defeating the SF 49ers in the 1993 NFC Championship
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Even without the rumored extra 10 floors of office space, 25-30 stories of condos could still be over 300'.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Any news on this yet?  My dad works in the new UP building and would be right across the street from the construction, so I'm pretty interested in hearing about it.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Don't know, but if Omaha is serious about this.... Townsend is def the developer....  I've never been to the Big O but someday i'd like to visit the zoo.... 
Omaha Cowboy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The link to the latest Omaha World-Herald piece regarding this subject from Saturday July 30th:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... rnd=938042

From the piece:

'Townsend officials have met with city, chamber and real estate officials and were in Omaha last week with construction people. The developers of Kansas City's WallStreet Tower have told people locally of their interest in building a 25- to 30-story tower with 250 units and commercial and retail space on lower levels in Omaha.'..

And:

'A developer for Townsend Inc., Troy Strawhecker, said Friday that the company intends to respond to the city's request for proposals if a high-rise condominium building fits the city's criteria. He said he couldn't talk about building height, price range or other details without knowing what the city will be requesting.

"We'd be very honored to be selected, but we have to earn it," Strawhecker said. "We are so impressed with downtown Omaha, I can't begin to tell you. We think it's going to keep moving in the right direction, and we'd like to be involved. At the same time, we need to follow the city's lead." '..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson (who predicted to the media a Cowboys victory the night before) after defeating the SF 49ers in the 1993 NFC Championship
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Actually DTO your wrong... Fidelity is actually 476ft tall... So that means this building is only 2ft taller than it..
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:'A developer for Townsend Inc., Troy Strawhecker, said Friday that the company intends to respond to the city's request for proposals if a high-rise condominium building fits the city's criteria. He said he couldn't talk about building height, price range or other details without knowing what the city will be requesting.

"... At the same time, we need to follow the city's lead." '..
If I'm reading that right (and I'd like to think that I am), then that means the city is the one moving this plan along, not the developer. Why would a city need to issue an RFP for a condo tower? That seems quite odd.
Omaha Cowboy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Part of what's in the mix here is that to build the tower at the locationTownsend is proposing, the city is on the potential hook for demolishing the existing old 12 story UP headquarters..The city owns the buildiing and it is obviously a prime location of downtown Omaha real-estate..The city just wants to be 100% sure an appropriate highend highrise type of development is planned, before they spend the $$ putting the wrecking ball to the old place..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

KCDevin wrote: Actually DTO your wrong... Fidelity is actually 476ft tall... So that means this building is only 2ft taller than it..
Oh well. First National is still 5' taller than One Kansas City Place. :)

Here is the site from the ground level.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

now wait just a second....you guys want THIS torn down?

Are you KIDDING me?  Keep that building....fight for it all you can.  There are plenty of close surface parking lots I'm sure.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

lol DTO your also wrong on the 5ft bit...

1KCP is 632ft tall... Omaha's is 634ft (not 635ft)

Height has no meaning whatsoever... Look at The Sears Tower, it is one of the world's tallest buildings, but is nothing in aesthetical/architectural comparison with a building like The P&L Tower or the Empire State Building...

BTW guys I am being serious here... I don't care about things like height or tall buildings anymore... I like skylines still of course, but I care more about what Downtown KC will be like to live in rather than how tall the tallest building will be...
Omaha Cowboy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Powercat-

The city owns the property/building. It is chock full of asbestos and from what I've heard, is not in a very salvagable condition to rennovate/convert. In fact, the city earlier this year stated they would possiibly go ahead and demolish the building..And turn it into a public park/gathering space until the right developer comes along with the right plan..

In order for the Townsend condo plan to be built, that old UP building is going to have to come down..Ultimately, I believe that's what the city wants (as does the developer)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No building is beyond saving.  I mean we saved THIS into condos...exposed to the elements for years.

I just don't see why Townsend's proposed condo tower has to go right on this block???

Omaha Cowboy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

KCPowercat wrote: I just don't see why Townsend's proposed condo tower has to go right on this block???
It's a prime piece of downtown Omaha real-estate and the city wants something dynamic sitting there..As opposed to an 80 year old plus, asbestos filled, and pretty much un-salvageable (unless you've got BIG-TIME coin) building..

I certianly understand what you're driving at as it relates to preserving old, historical buildings..But in this case, it's more cost effective for the city to demolish it and make way for a dynamic new highrise..At a time when the property is red hottttt..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

but couldn't the lot across the street also be red hot?

I finally found the topic on eomaha.com and it sounds like I'm not the only one wondering about tearing down of this structure.

All of our downtowns have PLENTY of surface/unused blocks...why tear down a beauty like this?