Southern California Blows

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Southern California Blows

Post by DanCa »

Well, I made it out alive and I'm in Denver now.  I felt my last earthquake last week while packing up the garage so bring on the quakes and let the housing market crash! 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

DanCa wrote: Well, I made it out alive and I'm in Denver now.  I felt my last earthquake last week while packing up the garage so bring on the quakes and let the housing market crash! 
WOOOHOOO!!!! When did you say you get your house?
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

DanCa wrote: Well, I made it out alive and I'm in Denver now.  I felt my last earthquake last week while packing up the garage so bring on the quakes and let the housing market crash! 
We're you in the L.A. quake in 92 Dan?  That was a humdinger.  A 7.6 if I remember correctly.  That was my first quake and I know it might sound weird but I actually kinda enjoyed it.  I remember looking out at the pier and it looked like it was warping.  Windows on the buildings that hadn't been locked down were slamming and breaking as they opened and closed.  The sky was all lit up from power lines snapping everywhere.  It was like one giant Pink Floyd concert.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

nota wrote: WOOOHOOO!!!! When did you say you get your house?
Not until late July.  In the meanwhile, I'm stuck in a hotel in Aurora with a cat and dog. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

DanCa wrote: Not until late July.  In the meanwhile, I'm stuck in a hotel in Aurora with a cat and dog. 
But you're in CO now. Look on the bright side. Late July is only a month away.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

It's not too bad.  I'm job hunting and exploring the city.  Plus the weather is great - around 90 and sunny every day with monsoonal thunderstorms late afternoon to early evening and then perfect outdoor temps for the evening with no sticky humidity.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

DanCa wrote: It's not too bad.  I'm job hunting and exploring the city.  Plus the weather is great - around 90 and sunny every day with monsoonal thunderstorms late afternoon to early evening and then perfect outdoor temps for the evening with no sticky humidity.
It was 101 according to my car thermometer awhile ago and you can see the air here today. Don't be rubbing it in. :lol:
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Thrillcekr wrote: We're you in the L.A. quake in 92 Dan?  That was a humdinger.  A 7.6 if I remember correctly.  That was my first quake and I know it might sound weird but I actually kinda enjoyed it.  I remember looking out at the pier and it looked like it was warping.  Windows on the buildings that hadn't been locked down were slamming and breaking as they opened and closed.  The sky was all lit up from power lines snapping everywhere.  It was like one giant Pink Floyd concert.
One of my favorite stories from the Northridge quake was how people panicked and called authorities when they saw a glowing band of light in the predawn sky. They thought it was a direct result of the quake, but it was actually the Milky Way rendered visible when the lights were knocked off. Talk about living a sheltered existence.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Gladstoner wrote: ... but it was actually the Milky Way...
We need to change the name of our galaxy. "Milky Way" just sounds so ignoble and unprofessional.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Tosspot wrote: We need to change the name of our galaxy. "Milky Way" just sounds so ignoble and unprofessional.
Well that was just galactose intolerent.   :)

I like the name "Milky Way"; it's so old-school. It's better than our nearby neighbors M31 and M33, which were ignominiously placed in a list of faint fuzzies by Charles Messier so they wouldn't be confused with the comets he was trying to discover. Any other proposed renaming would probably sound either technically nerdy or just plain goofy. Besides, "Milky Way" refers to the band of light in the sky the same way groupings of stars are referred to as constellations. Maybe we could just name it "The Galaxy" as it is sometimes called.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Tosspot wrote: We need to change the name of our galaxy. "Milky Way" just sounds so ignoble and unprofessional.
Why did they name it after a candy bar?
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

nota wrote: It was 101 according to my car thermometer awhile ago and you can see the air here today. Don't be rubbing it in. :lol:
One of those days when your glasses fog up when you walk outside? :lol:

Other plusses in Denver, very few bugs.  I have yet to get a mosquito bite (and I've bee walking the dog at dusk) and none of those miserable cicadas screaming in the trees.  I believe I have seen a few lighning bugs here in the past, but none yet this year.  Are they out in KC yet?  They're my favorite insect.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

DanCa wrote: Why did they name it after a candy bar?
Dude, that has always been my question too!! Kind of like, why the hell did a totalitarian French madman name himself after a pastry shop.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

DanCa wrote: Why did they name it after a candy bar?
The same goes for that red planet.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

DanCa wrote: Other plusses in Denver, very few bugs.  I have yet to get a mosquito bite (and I've bee walking the dog at dusk) and none of those miserable cicadas screaming in the trees. 
Really? Must be the altitude. Lucky you.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

KC0KEK wrote: Really? Must be the altitude. Lucky you.
[/quote

Or maybe the lack of humidity.  I never had a mosquito bite in California either.  You know how if you leave the porch light on at night in KC and your screen door is covered in bugs?  Well, that doesn't happen here.  Or anywhere in the West that I've seen.  You really don't need screens in Denver, other than for keeping out squirrels.  (I had a little squirrel-in-the-kitchen problem when I lived here before because I didn't have screens)
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Tosspot wrote: Dude, that has always been my question too!! Kind of like, why the hell did a totalitarian French madman name himself after a pastry shop.
Some questions just have no answer!
RoyalVirus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by RoyalVirus »

Marreekarr wrote: Those referring to So Cal as some kind of wasteland couldn't have spent any time in San Diego, IMO.  Yes, LA is a smog ridden trap waiting to devour even the most hardened among us.  Yet Angelinos often look to their sister city to the south as a haven to get away from it all.

San Diego has some of the best beaches in the nation: Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Blacks, Coronado.  And they are often LOADED with some of the finest college aged girls like one might find here on a Midwestern campus.

Both Old Town and the Gaslamp Quarter have Westport style charm with too many places to count for one to eat and drink the night away.

Also, check out Kansas City Barbecue in downtown San Diego.  It is often rated one of the best barbecue joints in California.

And it has SUN, not smog, SUN over 300 days out of the year.  LA can definitely be miserable but it doesn't represent all of So Cal by a longshot.

My family and I vacationed in San Diego last year and it was a very fast week and we were sorry to leave. SeaWorld was an absolute blast and my kids loved it. We attended a ballgame at Petco Park and I wish the downtown council and the Royals brass would look harder at this ballpark as it has created nothing but new development around it. The San Diego Zoo however was a major disappointment from everything we have always heard about it. Give me the Omaha Zoo anyday over that one...

I encourage everyone to visit San Diego if and when they can.
Royal Virus

Spreading the Sickness of being a dedicated Royals Fan!

http://www.royalmania.com