I-70

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: I-70

Post by KCPowercat »

I paid for 5 years driving from Manhattan to KC. It wasn't that bad. It was under $2 each way.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If you can't aford the toll there is always US 50.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

shaffe wrote:wow, as a college student at mizzou i say thumbs down to this one.. :puke:

if i have to pay everytime i want to go home i'd be real pissed, so would the 5000 other kids who go here that are from kc (even more if you add in the st. louis kids too).
It's either a toll or higher gas taxes. Take your pick. Do you want an extra $2 for every tank of gas, or $2 just when you drive on I-70? Or do you just want to let it keep falling apart?

The roads can't be fixed for free, so you have to pay for it one way or another.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

isn't there amtrak too? That would be a good way to support rail while saving some cash.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

wow, as a college student at mizzou i say thumbs down to this one..

if i have to pay everytime i want to go home i'd be real pissed, so would the 5000 other kids who go here that are from kc (even more if you add in the st. louis kids too
If you're too cheap to pay the toll then just stay home and go to UMKC or UMSL.
Calling a spade a spade.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

ShowME wrote:
wow, as a college student at mizzou i say thumbs down to this one..

if i have to pay everytime i want to go home i'd be real pissed, so would the 5000 other kids who go here that are from kc (even more if you add in the st. louis kids too
If you're too cheap to pay the toll then just stay home and go to UMKC or UMSL.
paying a toll every time i want to go back (it's 6 bucks a way in ks i believe) shouldn't be a part of my college education just because i'm choosing to attend a better insitution than UMKC for my eduation. 12 bucks a trip back home, times 15 trips per year is an extra 200 bucks out of my pocket.

btw, in case you wanted to know where i got my numbers, i got them from here. it's 140 miles from kc to columbia.

http://ksturnpike.com/tolls/cls2.html
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

15 trips back per year????
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i know people that go back to kc every few weeks for various reasons. 7 times in a 4 month semester isn't outrageous, especially when you consider going out and coming back at the ends of the semester.

*shrug*, i'd rather pay the gas taxes really, toll booths are just an inconvenience IMO.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DRG Engineering is designing a single point interchange at I-70 and Noland similar to the new ones at 87th & I-35 and Parallell & I-635.

An example of a single point:

They are also designing a new modified Maltese Cross, full-directional, four-level interchange at I-70 & I-435 near the stadiums. Here is an example of that:

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Are these funded? I thought they were finishing the I-70 MIS. Will the I-70/I-435 interchange allow for the full six lanes of I-70 all the way under I-435?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote:Are these funded? I thought they were finishing the I-70 MIS. Will the I-70/I-435 interchange allow for the full six lanes of I-70 all the way under I-435?
The Noland Road project is funded and is supposed to start construction next year. It will include re-building and widening I-70 under Noland to eight lanes. The 435/70 interchange is not yet funded, but is supposed to get going in 07 or 08 and yes, it will allow eight through lanes on both I-70 and I-435.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote:
dangerboy wrote:Are these funded? I thought they were finishing the I-70 MIS. Will the I-70/I-435 interchange allow for the full six lanes of I-70 all the way under I-435?
The Noland Road project is funded and is supposed to start construction next year. It will include re-building and widening I-70 under Noland to eight lanes. The 435/70 interchange is not yet funded, but is supposed to get going in 07 or 08 and yes, it will allow eight through lanes on both I-70 and I-435.
Thank God!!!

So if they start in 08 it should be done late 2014!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Any word on straightening the curves?
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

dangerboy wrote:Any word on straightening the curves?
Will this require tearing much more of the inner-city down?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCforumer wrote:

If so, then let's leave the curves as they are.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

scooterj wrote:
KCforumer wrote:

If so, then let's leave the curves as they are.
Ah, who needs the inner city anyway? The people we'd displace are poor anyway, just slice up their neighborhood! I mean, look what the 71 expressway did for neighborhoods like Ivanhoe. Nothing like an abyss right through the heart of the neighborhood to really realize that awesome "progress" that driving fast wins you.

Okay, sorry, I'm done.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

GRID wrote: An example of a single point:
I'm having trouble seeing this. To me, it looks like all of the ramps are in the same space vertically. Do they pass over/under each other?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

staubio wrote:
GRID wrote: An example of a single point:
I'm having trouble seeing this. To me, it looks like all of the ramps are in the same space vertically. Do they pass over/under each other?
They cross in the same plane. It's a signal-controlled intersection. The metal latticework you see crossing the multi-lane road in the center of the main intersection is the one and only traffic light for the entire intersection. This kind of interchange (SPUI) takes a little getting used to but it moves a lot of traffic very efficiently. They're good for areas where traffic exiting the freeway tends to back up into the freeway traffic lanes.

This is what 87 & I-35 is being reconfigured into. I've used one of these several times in Columbus, OH.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Here is some info about this type of interchange from MoDOT project in St. Louis: http://www.thenewi64.org/1d1_designfeat.jsp

Straightening the curbs would requiring taking some houses, but the sad fact is that the houses near curbs are in bad shape. This could be opportunity to get some major investments in improving the remaining houses near the freeway.

The damage to the urban core was already done back in the 1950s. While taking more houses is definitely undesirable, I think the lives that would be saved by a better freeway is more desirable.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Doesn't modern for our region, especially MO, mean 1970's standards? :lol: