OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (formerly Gumbel Building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (formerly Gumbel Building)

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: well, if they are currently being pre-sold and bought up, i won't be able to get in on one.  i was thinking they would go up for sale in like 9 months.  silly me! 
That seems to be an increasing issue I have noticed with a lot of the conversions.  Seems like in order to get the unit you want you have to pre-buy shortly after they go on sale but then you need to be prepared to wait a pretty significant time for the construction and likely delays before you ever get to closing.  Its as if you need to make the purchase a year or more before you intend to move; and that isn't exactly handy. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^

not to mention you are essentially buying based on self-serving renderings and marketing from the developers.  i'd hate to pre-buy a unit and experience the sort of horrors that people who bought in the wallstreet tower are experiencing. 

buying a year ahead of time isn't a problem for me by itself, but the whole "sight-unseen" thing is a big problem. 
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

chrizow wrote: buying a year ahead of time isn't a problem for me by itself, but the whole "sight-unseen" thing is a big problem. 
Only way I would consider it is if

(1) I could see the actual space with wall locations marked off on the floor

AND

(2) I could examine a model unit with a fine-tooth comb, then put into the contract that said model will serve as the standard of quality for my finished unit
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

AND

(3) contract would say the Punchlist is FINISHED before developer gets final payment.  I would consider keeping the final payment in an escrow account to show good faith.

Developers and contractors build on the cheap because they know they can get away with it.  I would demand the contract have these provisions or I'd be prepared to walk-- there are always going to be more condos as good or better.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

excellent advice.  gracias, long. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Gumbel Condos

Post by moderne »

Like the port a potty on the roof.  Hope this means they will be working on constructing the rooftop units.  Just dont spill that outhouse when the crane lifts it off.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe it's "art."
snarf
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snarf »

Long, part of "getting in early" is the unseen piece of it.  If you want the project to be nearly completed or to your exact specifications then try looking at properties that are already on the market and completed.  The reason, many times, that it seems that those that get in on property early get a better return on their investment is because they are taking risk.

Ask anyone that bought property downtown three years ago.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I found a different rendering of this project than the 2 on the website:

KCDowntown
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

If I remember correctly this building housed a few offices right?  So where are they going...hmmm probably somewhere outside the "Central Business District."  But hey why should a few little offices stand in the way of this booming condo metropolis?
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Gumbel Condos: What Happened?

Post by kccrackednut »

Anybody know what the status is on this project? Did it die?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Mostly dead - the owner was a little too reticent and the market passed him by.  There is a model unit, but the upper floors are still being used as office space.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

notice on the front door says water has been disconnected due to lack of payment. codes officer taking pics of the interior. such a shame.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling that the Gumbel Building will have to be sold to get out of it's present situation. I think the owner is under-capitalized, and that project needs someone with the money to spend to finish it. The Building is a great property though, and I think people will want to buy condos there once the market and financing starts to improve.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

So, this is an extremely old thread but...

I noticed today a truck outside the Gumbel loading up what appeared to be a collection of metal air ducts for a ventilation system. At the same time I noticed that the building for sale signs are gone from the windows. It would be too much to hope something positive is happening here, right?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:So, this is an extremely old thread but...

I noticed today a truck outside the Gumbel loading up what appeared to be a collection of metal air ducts for a ventilation system. At the same time I noticed that the building for sale signs are gone from the windows. It would be too much to hope something positive is happening here, right?
any open permits? what's the address? http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permit/index.cfm?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:

any open permits? what's the address? http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permit/index.cfm?
To the parcel viewer! This is 801 Walnut. I do notice that ownership has changed--though not immediately obvious when. Scratch that, ownership has been the same since 2005.
Last edited by smh on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eh, lame. "Interior demolition work, no build back".

Sigh.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

at least they're up to date on their taxes. better get some tenant revenue soon because their streetcar assessment will run them an extra $1,190.40 this year!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:

To the parcel viewer! This is 801 Walnut. I do notice that ownership has changed--though not immediately obvious when. Scratch that, ownership has been the same since 2005.
Darn! I was hoping for someone to step in who is capable of making good things happen here. Such a beautiful structure.