Karma?

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Karma?

Post by Tosspot »

I think the Karma logs should be made public. Then a flame war and karma bombing would ensue for a week, making for great entertainment. Then the Karma thing should be sent the way of the Dodo bird.

Anyway, I hardly ever give a bad Karma point, the vast majority of points I dole out are positive.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

ignatius wrote: It would make more sense if it was about agreeing/disagreeing with each post, not history.
Plus, I've always had the impression that it's a tool for sad-sack little pussies who are too chickenshit to come out and challenge an idea, so they just give bad Karma. Like I said when this whole thing started, it's passive-aggressive.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think the imbalance is due to the fact that there are a lot of folks who only use it when a post pisses them off, never using the positive option when they read a good post that gets them nodding their head in agreement.  It would be much more interesting if there were only a positive option. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

staubio wrote: Man, there must be a bunch of users that just log on every day to give people negative karma.  It seems like all of the regular posters are getting negative karma like mad.  Is there a karma spammer afoot?
Why do you think I call it a juvenile high school thing?

I think they should all be made public as was mentioned ages ago.

It wouldnt' bother me. I haven't given that many anyway. I seldom even think about it.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Funny, since my post saying get rid of it, I got two negative hits.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ignatius wrote: Funny, since my post saying get rid of it, I got two negative hits.
well obviously that was a very mean spirited post.  :lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

ignatius wrote: Funny, since my post saying get rid of it, I got two negative hits.
All the more reason it's a crock of shit. As I said earlier, it's an outlet for little chickenshit pussies too afraid to openly challenge an idea, so they go the passive-aggressive route.

photoblog. 

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Dang! You are lucky. I only got one.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I came back from 2 weeks away from the forum and had 5 negative hits when I didn't even post anything. :lol:

Does anybody like the karma thing?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCN wrote: I came back from 2 weeks away from the forum and had 5 negative hits when I didn't even post anything. :lol:

Does anybody like the karma thing?

I don't.  Negative karma hurts..... :(  but positive karma is fun :P
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

see, i got 3 negative hits just since i said it needed to go. in  2 hours. fucken sad.

in all the time i have been in the forum, i always give out positive ones. long and i went back and forth for 2 weeks in 3 different downtown threads, and were very animated in our posts, and all i ever gave him was positive points. same with grid, we go back and forth all the time, and all i ever give him is positives.

this thing should go, because it is sad.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcdcchef wrote: see, i got 3 negative hits just since i said it needed to go. in  2 hours. fucken sad.

in all the time i have been in the forum, i always give out positive ones. long and i went back and forth for 2 weeks in 3 different downtown threads, and were very animated in our posts, and all i ever gave him was positive points. same with grid, we go back and forth all the time, and all i ever give him is positives.

this thing should go, because it is sad.
I notice that the more impassioned posters get more +/- karma while the more matter-of-fact folks get practically none (+ or -).  So, you at least stir up passions.  In any event, I think it's a pretty trivial thing so it might as well go.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

nota wrote: Dang! You are lucky. I only got one.
But I've gotten 2 since then. WOOOOOHOOOO!

Publicize the stats. I'd love to see the Karma key punchers squirm.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Highlander wrote: I don't.  Negative karma hurts..... :(  but positive karma is fun :P
I gave you a + just now because you are going neck and neck. 8)

PS-Well, dangit #2-I tried to give you a second Karma + on the next post but got a screen saying I couldn't do it again for 24 hours.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I think that the karma thing should be removed, it has no purpose. Perhaps KCP should replace it with a bar stating your location.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you guys act like i"m some sort of web programming wiz.  The karma can be removed.

I never thought people would be so petty....I actually could not tell you right now if I had more + than - posts...I find it silly but thought some would enjoy.  Guess we're dealing with children.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
downtownpaul

Post by downtownpaul »

I am not allowed to use karma, I guess because I have yet to reach the all magical land of 10 posts. Oh well, I can wait, the anticipation is mind numbing.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: you guys act like i"m some sort of web programming wiz.  The karma can be removed.

I never thought people would be so petty....I actually could not tell you right now if I had more + than - posts...I find it silly but thought some would enjoy.  [color]Guess we're dealing with children.
Exactly my point. It is a childish thing. Why don't you post the logs like you said you would do a long time ago?

Actually, I get a good laugh out of it. I dont' care whether you remove it or not. We need some juvenile stuff here so we don't take ourselves to seriously.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I think the imbalance is due to the fact that there are a lot of folks who only use it when a post pisses them off, never using the positive option when they read a good post that gets them nodding their head in agreement.  It would be much more interesting if there were only a positive option. 
So breaking even means one is well into positive territory.

It's like baseball, where a .500 record or a .300 batting average are considered to be good.

Karma is still too ambiguous though. Negative points can be given when someone:

- disagrees with your post on a factual level.
- disagrees with your post based on the "facts" as they see them.
- disagrees with your post on a philosophical/political level.
- disagrees with you philosophically/politically in general.
- disagrees with your attitude (rancorous paranoia usually racks up the -'s).
- dislikes your moniker (something like "SirFacelot" or "no1nazi666" would probably get -'s).
- dislikes your avatar (an image of a big middle finger, or dead kittens, or a sparkling new Walmart sign would probably get -'s)
- dislikes your personal quote (something like "KC is Gary, IN without the sandy beaches" or anything mentioning St. Louis would probably get -'s").
- dislikes your geographical location (something like "KKK kountry" or "A shiny, bright spot far from that hell-hole KCMO" would probably get -'s; I'm sure JoCoers rank a bit higher on average with the minuses as well).
- dislikes the subject at hand and nixes everyone discussing it (something like "decay rates of road kill in urban vs. suburban areas" would probably turn some people off).
- dislikes you, even though they know absolutely nothing about you (I've met those before).
- woke up on the wrong side of bed mad at the world.
- woke up with a terrible hangover and spinning head.
- was mad at the world just before passing out (I won't mention names  :) ).
- gives negative karma until numbers reach some value of numerological significance (eg. -666).
- has fat fingers.
- has their lefts and rights mixed up.
- never learned addition & subtraction.
- thinks "disagree" means "agree more".
- has no clue what karma is but likes clicking things.
- is accidentally clicking things while still trying to figure out why the computer's cup holder won't stay in place.
- lets their cats walk on the desk near the mouse and keyboard.
- lets their children walk on the desk near the mouse and keyboard.
- watches as their significant other walks on the desk near the mouse and keyboard.
- had their userid hijacked.
- the site moderators are puppetmasters that pit groups of people against each other by manipulating karma numbers.
- thinks someone is rambling on and on and on about useless bull$#!+ without end and doesn't know when to shut up.
- all of the above.
- none of the above.
- I could think of many more, but I can't think of anymore.

In other words, attempting to decipher karma is like trying to forcast the weather by seeing how long it takes for your dog's urine to dry. And about as fun.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Gladstoner wrote: So breaking even means one is well into positive territory.

It's like baseball, where a .500 record or a .300 batting average are considered to be good.

Karma is still too ambiguous though. Negative points can be given when someone:

- disagrees with your post on a factual level.
- disagrees with your post based on the "facts" as they see them.
- disagrees with your post on a philosophical/political level.
- disagrees with you philosophically/politically in general.
- disagrees with your attitude (rancorous paranoia usually racks up the -'s).
- dislikes your moniker (something like "SirFacelot" or "no1nazi666" would probably get -'s).
- dislikes your avatar (an image of a big middle finger, or dead kittens, or a sparkling new Walmart sign would probably get -'s)
- dislikes your personal quote (something like "KC is Gary, IN without the sandy beaches" or anything mentioning St. Louis would probably get -'s").
- dislikes your geographical location (something like "KKK kountry" or "A shiny, bright spot far from that hell-hole KCMO" would probably get -'s; I'm sure JoCoers rank a bit higher on average with the minuses as well).
- dislikes the subject at hand and nixes everyone discussing it (something like "decay rates of road kill in urban vs. suburban areas" would probably turn some people off).
- dislikes you, even though they know absolutely nothing about you (I've met those before).
- woke up on the wrong side of bed mad at the world.
- woke up with a terrible hangover and spinning head.
- was mad at the world just before passing out (I won't mention names  :) ).
- gives negative karma until numbers reach some value of numerological significance (eg. -666).
- has fat fingers.
- has their lefts and rights mixed up.
- never learned addition & subtraction.
- thinks "disagree" means "agree more".
- has no clue what karma is but likes clicking things.
- is accidentally clicking things while still trying to figure out why the computer's cup holder won't stay in place.
- lets their cats walk on the desk near the mouse and keyboard.
- lets their children walk on the desk near the mouse and keyboard.
- watches as their significant other walks on the desk near the mouse and keyboard.
- had their userid hijacked.
- the site moderators are puppetmasters that pit groups of people against each other by manipulating karma numbers.
- thinks someone is rambling on and on and on about useless bull$#!+ without end and doesn't know when to shut up.
- all of the above.
- none of the above.
- I could think of many more, but I can't think of anymore.

In other words, attempting to decipher karma is like trying to forcast the weather by seeing how long it takes for your dog's urine to dry. And about as fun.

+1

photoblog.