Best donut in KC Metro

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by DiggityDawg »

bahua wrote:I recall seeing McDonald's doors on the building, walking by. Perhaps I dreamed it, but I'm fairly certain it was waking life.
Ah...I think I know what you're talking about. The building I'm thinking of is a couple doors east of there - a white square building with big windows that sits back from the street a little ( due to it's parking lot ) . The one you're talking about is the old Wells Fargo building that was recently remodeled. And yeah - they DO have McDonald's doors. I think they were scavenged - probably from the old McDonald's across the street from Chubby's that was torn down to make room for the new Uber-Mickey D's.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by bahua »

"Uber-Mickey D's"

Wow.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by KCK »

Im not sure if you guys knew this or not, but Dunkin Donuts owns the Baskin Robbins name, and I have seen these in the KC area.

Dunkin Donuts is a franchise, so I'm looking into how much it would cost to open one up here in Kansas City. Of course it would be in KCK, and I am thinking a location downtown or near KU med, for the reason that a lot of daytime employees are near both places, and donuts are really big in the mornings.

Ok it seems you need
Liquid assets - $600,000; Net worth - $1.2 million
Well, looks like too much for me.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCforumer

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by KCforumer »

Why not open up a privately owned/non-franchise place?
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by KCK »

I'm not a very original thinker, and I think that since franchises have that whole name recognition thing going for them, I might do better that way.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by DiggityDawg »

I noticed yesterday that the long-vacant building on 39th I mentioned above has been painted. Could this maybe be where the new Lamar's is going? If it is, I got about a ton of "I told ya so" to unload. =D>
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by chrizow »

i am pleased to report that i visited Fluffy Fresh (north of 435 on state line) last weekend and it is as good as ever.

FAR better than lamar's. their long johns are enormous and are slathered with the best chocolate icing around. their cake donuts also have a bit of a "crust" on them, so the exterior has some punch but the interior is nice and soft and cakey.

mmmmmm.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by KCLofts »

We used to get Fluffy Fresh for the office once a week when I was working near Ward Parkway. They were great. We never could get anyone to eat a maple frosted longjohn, so it usually ended up getting hidden in the back of someone's desk drawer.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by chrizow »

when i was a wee lad and would go to church with my best friend, we would sometimes troll the bible study rooms for leftover donuts.

i picked up what i thought was a chocolate-iced cake donut with nuts on it. i took a hearty bite, and to my horror it was MAPLE.

i spit it out in a water fountain and literally (i kid you not) started gagging and having dry-heaves until my eyes were watering. my friend was laughing so hard that he dropped his (superior) donut on the floor. it was awesome.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by StL_Dan »

those maple flavored things suck

and they smelled really bad
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Best donut in KC Metro

Post by DiggityDawg »

In case anyone cares - that building on 39th I've mentioned in this thread a couple times also has new windows. Something's definitely up. I hope it's the new Lamar's.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Best donut in KC Metro

Post by Tosspot »

chrizow wrote: there used to be a place at like 103rd and state line (or something) called Fluffy Fresh that was 1000% better than lamar's.  their longjohns and twists were like 14 inches long! 
Fluffy Fresh is still around. My boss brings them in to work when one of us has a birthday.
chrizow wrote: i usually get Krispy Kreme.  that's a chain that i can rally behind.  the glazed donuts are so good.  they go down smooth.  one time i ate 14 of them in a single sitting, just one right after the other.  it was awesome.
You were stoned.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

scooterj wrote: I don't know if they are still around (though I imagine they are, they've been around for decades), but I've always thought Ridgewood Donuts near Blue Ridge Mall blew Lamar's out of the fryer.
Ridgewood is still around. They do quite a bit of contract baking too. They supply the pastries for Benetti's Coffee Experience in Raytown. Mmm mmm, lemme tell you!  :)

Poppy's Donuts in Independence is hands down the best Apple Fritter makers in the city. To use an old school, Kansas City BBQ phrase, "Larrapin Good!"

Sportster
...i may need to go get a treat
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

BurningMustard wrote: john's spaceage.  DTOP
Winner.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I haven't been in probably 15 years, but there used to be a mom and pop donut joint in Lawrence that would serve hot donuts as the bars were closing.  I can't recall the name to save my life.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fluffy Fresh on Johnson Drive, between Nall and Lamar.  Terrific, and much better than John's Space Age, in my opinion.  Haven't tried Lamar's yet, but this seems to be a pretty good doughnut town.  Lots more independent shops than Chicago, which has almost none (though a couple really stellar options on the South Side), probably due to Dunkin' Donuts, which I think are usually quite bad.

There's a pretty lengthy and informative doughnut thread on Chowhound:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/406293

I'm particularly intrigued by Big Momma's in Raytown.

I also have one going on LTHForum:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11953
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I haven't been in probably 15 years, but there used to be a mom and pop donut joint in Lawrence that would serve hot donuts as the bars were closing.  I can't recall the name to save my life.
Joe's?  On 9th.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

BurningMustard wrote: Joe's?  On 9th.
Indeed!
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i like john's space age on metcalf, lamar's, and fluffy fresh (which declined substantially after changing hands a few years back, but is still good)
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

Charlie Pikes Fluffy Fresh at 100th & State Line is my favorite.

Don't have time to read the whole thread right know but i did notice some posters are not big fans of the maple long john  :shock:, well you'd be wrong.
When i was a grade schooler I'd skip lunch get off the bus early at 99th & Jarboe walk down there and buy a maple long john and eat it on the walk home.  It was great.