OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ Construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

From the Business Journal article....
Block spokeswoman Linda McDougall said neither the exact number of floors nor the color scheme of the glass curtain have been determined.
That's awesome! Maybe with input they will go over 30 floors???
I would like to see a lighter glass color rather than black since it will be front & center in the skyline, would a darker or lighter color stand out in front of the skyline better?
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

that's so hot. Ground-level restaurants and retail, even in the HR block tower itself? I didn't know this was going to happen--i'm really, really excited for this project. The tower, plus KC Live! will be amazing for downtown. Even though 30 stories would be much better, 18 is pretty damn significant. I am really happy they say the building will "stand out" too and not just blend into the skyline.

lets see those renderings

kcteen
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

that's so hot. Ground-level restaurants and retail, even in the HR block tower itself? I didn't know this was going to happen--i'm really, really excited for this project. The tower, plus KC Live! will be amazing for downtown. Even though 30 stories would be much better, 18 is pretty damn significant. I am really happy they say the building will "stand out" too and not just blend into the skyline.

lets see those renderings

kcteen
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kcteen wrote:that's so hot. Ground-level restaurants and retail, even in the HR block tower itself? I didn't know this was going to happen--i'm really, really excited for this project.
Sweet. That means that if my company doesn't end up moving due to all the construction soon to surround us on three sides, I'll only have to walk one block for lunch instead of two. ;)
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

The glass facade should be a nice complement to the Star's new plant a few blocks away.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Picture Right Guard deodorant. That kind of elliptical. The glass appears to be mostly blue with green near the entrance.

Nationwide, Block is huge, however, what you need to keep in mind is that most of these people are seasonal. At WHQ they have 1200-1500 people. Nationwide its like 60K...for about 5 months. During the off season April 17-October, there is appx. 1 person still on staff per office, and there are about 10,000 offices. During tax season there are more like 6 people per office. Most of these people are dispersed across all of the national offices.

As far as expansion goes, I don't see them building more than they need for now. This is an accounting firm after all. Future expansion may be necessary and may happen, but there's no way they will build beyond their current needs.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

This is going to a really great addition to the skyline! I like that they said that they wanted to building to express that the company is 'cutting edge". This will make it the most unusual building in the loop. They are also building a second 3-4 story structure, which is cool also. Someone, find a picture!!!!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

grrrrr, nothing on the 5pm news
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

even checked the CDFM2 site, and nothing!!! grrrr
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

tat2kc wrote:even checked the CDFM2 site, and nothing!!! grrrr
Yeah, they don't seem to have much of anything interesting on their site. The New Projects section is just a text list of project. Booooring!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

If the Star does not have a rendering in the morning, i'm gonna be pissed!! LOL, holy crap, can we really be this excited about a BUILDING??
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes, we're development dorks.

This is where we need the kansas city times (the old evening paper) to satisfy our itch tonight.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Damn, the forum has been busy today. Finally a building that screams different and modern I hope.

Renderings?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

should I, or one of us scan it an upload it to the gallery?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

i like the rendering in the Star! Its gonna be a really dramatic additioin to the skyline.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes upload it....don't freak out about the picture thing....it's not a problem.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Very nice design....

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Cool. From the south, all we'll see is the skinny side. Might make it look like a cylindrical scraper that is taller than it really is :)
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

That rendering is nice, and I especially like the total street density. Looks like that rendering is done right, unlike previous ones I've seen.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

My dad now works at CDFM2 architecture and will be working on this project. He told me he is working on the KC Live! development, which may include the H&R Block HQ. I can ask him whatever questions you guys have (though he may not know the answers). Single file line, please.