OFFICIAL - Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

One Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Post by trailerkid »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overland Park approves new mall

By BRAD COOPER
The Kansas City Star

Overland Park on Monday approved a new open-air, regional mall that could preserve the city's dominance as the retail capital of Johnson County.

The 1-million-square-foot mall, approved unanimously by the City Council, would be at the southeast corner of 135th Street and Metcalf Avenue.

The new mall, developed by Cormac Co. of Omaha, Neb., is expected to feature an anchor department store, a handful of specialty retailers and plaza areas for outside dining. It also will contain a waterfall that will pour into a pond surrounded by restaurants.

Jeff Johnson, Cormac's president, has said he hopes to break ground this summer. The mall is expected to open in 2006.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a MAJOR mistake on the city's part. Copaken drops their plans to do a major indoor/outdoor site there, so they settle for this clunker. I am willing to bet it is all the retailers who committed to the project before Copaken dropped it. So OP just voted for a big box concrete village with the Copaken's leftovers.

This would've been perfect for new urbanism, but we get typical Jo Co craps...to be expected.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

I honestly don't think we need anymore shopping, thats all there is do here practically!!! Town Center has lots of space for new stores! Why don't they just renovate oak park and get rid of that big box look, and just add more stores, like ones I've mentioned before in the IC thread. Makes sense to me.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

There's nothin' wrong with shopping, but JOCO is already saturated with the same duplicate retailers. It would be fine if exclusive retailers were busting down the doors wanting to open up new or original chains in sparkling new centers...but they're not! This could backfire on OP and Oak Park Mall could turn into another Metcalf South.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

QueSi2Opie wrote:There's nothin' wrong with shopping, but JOCO is already saturated with the same duplicate retailers. It would be fine if exclusive retailers were busting down the doors wanting to open up new or original chains in sparkling new centers...but they're not! This could backfire on OP and Oak Park Mall could turn into another Metcalf South.
Right now, Oak Park has way too strong of tenants to go the Bannister or Metcalf South directions. There will never be a "ghetto mall" that has Nordstrom and Coach.

As for the new mall on 135th...I have literally no clue as to what they need 1,000,000 sq. feet of space for. I am guessing they will bring in Von Maur and maybe Scheels and AMC, but after that is anyone's guess.

Park Place is opening behind Town Center which will be undoubtably upscale and then Cornerstone is a fairly large project just down the street from this Cormac project. The way I see it, most every large retailer already has a location in So Jo Co...so what are they going to do? Build another location 15 blocks south here? Can anyone name a single chain retailer that doesn't have a store already in So Jo Co?
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

Can anyone name a single chain retailer that doesn't have a store already in So Jo Co?
Bed bath and beyond, target, walmart, marshalls, best buy...o wait theres already like 2+ around 119th and beyond. #-o

Like I said, we don't need anymore new shopping malls/centers!!! I say we need to bring what we currently have to its peak and full capacity. Town center is pretty empty, I know theres some space at oak park that could use some more stores. I like the options we have here in Joco, but theres just way too many repeats. I'd like to see some stores from Dallas's Galleria and Mall of America here, theres soooo many there that we don't have here. I remember talking to someone and complaining that we don't have some stores that they have in the galleria, and he commented that theres already way too much shopping here for a place that isnt monstrously huge. He said that down there the Galleria is THE main mall down there with everything, and the stores at the galleria don't have too many other locations (if any) within that metro. He also said the same thing could probably succeed here if we didnt already have so many malls just down the street from each other.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

On another note - OP should let ME decide on these shopping places. LOL I will make sure none of these places turn ghetto!!! :cheers: I'll bring the whole freakin NY soho district here!! :wink:
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I am willing to bet this will be a good move for OPK.
Oak Park is almost seven miles away, Towne Center is not really a regional mall/shopping center. Plus they are filling in vacancies too.
It all is a good sign, there is more confidence in the economy. I hope that more development will come for all the metro.

gil
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GuyInLenexa wrote:I am willing to bet this will be a good move for OPK.
Oak Park is almost seven miles away, Towne Center is not really a regional mall/shopping center. Plus they are filling in vacancies too.
It all is a good sign, there is more confidence in the economy. I hope that more development will come for all the metro.

gil
No arguing about distance to Oak Park or quality of TCP, but please explain to me what they are going to put here? I recognize the need for a real mall, but there are no stores left that aren't already in So Jo Co besides stuff like Tiffany, Prada, Gucci, ect. which sure as hell aren't locating in the plastic prairie anytime soon.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

trailerkid wrote:
GuyInLenexa wrote:I am willing to bet this will be a good move for OPK.

gil
No arguing about distance to Oak Park or quality of TCP, but please explain to me what they are going to put here? I recognize the need for a real mall, but there are no stores left that aren't already in So Jo Co besides stuff like Tiffany, Prada, Gucci, ect. which sure as hell aren't locating in the plastic prairie anytime soon.
I am sure that there will be many retailers put in that are already there, some form The Plaza, some from Oak Park, and very likely some from Leawood TC, even some may actually move to the new retail location.

A lot of could pivot on what the anchor is. If it is a Neiman-Marcus or something upscale. You could see some really good stores come in. If it is a Von-Maur or Younkers it will probably be some new but mostly duplicate of what we have..... I hope not though.
I could see stores like Rampage, J.Crew, Tommy Bahama, Artafax, Jacadi, Nambe, Ecco Shoes, Crate & Barrell, Smith and Hawken, Tumi, and many more. Probably a lot of stores that will be in Zona Rosa will be there.
This center is going to be more of a lifestyle center than a traditional shopping mall like Oak Park.
Outsiders locating businesses to this area do not see JOCO in the way many on this forum malign it. They see is as a viable area to invest in and with an above average sales per square foot for retail. That is a fact.
I am anxious to see the renderings when they become available. The more development happening in the area will add to the momentum to new growth on all sides of the metro.
MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Post by MC86 »

"I think it's a great idea!"

Sincerely,

The Great Mall :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GuyInLenexa wrote: I could see stores like Rampage, J.Crew, Tommy Bahama, Artafax, Jacadi, Nambe, Ecco Shoes, Crate & Barrell, Smith and Hawken, Tumi, and many more.
4 words:
No way in hell
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

According to this thread, one of the concerns is that the new mall would have stores that are already found in JoCo. I'm not sure that that's a negative across the board. If the new mall means that people in that area now drive a shorter distance to patronize their favorite retailers, doesn't that reduce some of the traffic and pollution because they're making shorter trips?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC0KEK wrote:According to this thread, one of the concerns is that the new mall would have stores that are already found in JoCo. I'm not sure that that's a negative across the board. If the new mall means that people in that area now drive a shorter distance to patronize their favorite retailers, doesn't that reduce some of the traffic and pollution because they're making shorter trips?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Gap, Abercrombie, Banana Repbulic, Express, Williams-Sonoma, etc. are not going to have a store on 119th and as well as one on 135th. I just don't think it'll happen.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

MC86 wrote:"I think it's a great idea!"

Sincerely,

The Great Mall :D
.............very funny! :lol:
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

Rampage, J.Crew, Tommy Bahama, Artafax, Jacadi, Nambe, Ecco Shoes, Crate & Barrell, Smith and Hawken, Tumi,
We already have 2 of those, but for the rest..I would love to see those stores here somewhere in the metro!!! :lol:
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

UMKCgal wrote:
Rampage, J.Crew, Tommy Bahama, Artafax, Jacadi, Nambe, Ecco Shoes, Crate & Barrell, Smith and Hawken, Tumi,
We already have 2 of those, but for the rest..I would love to see those stores here somewhere in the metro!!! :lol:
I lot of those names I threw off the top of my head. But as I mentioned before, a lot will depend on the anchor department store. If N-M or an equal were to go there, you will see some stores leave LTC for a more visable and high traffic location. You may even see some leaving Oak Park.

I have seen this happen before in shopping areas in TX. If NM locates there, I assure you that they will be very picky on what stores are adjacent to them. As far as JOCO not being "worthy" of some of the stores mentioned, if they could handle these stores in places like Plano, Southlake, and Frisco TX JOCO could easily do it.

I must agree with some of the points made by Trailerkid. If all these planned retail developments are completed we may see a glut in retail space. Especially if (God forbid) we have some terrible disaster or economic downturn. You may see some companies abandon older location leaving them empty. I hope these developers have better insight than any of us on this forum. Time will tell.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

As seen in the B'walk and Zona thread, this is the site plan for Cormac's mall on 135th...
I've never seen that many trees in a site plan in my life. I do not see how they will accomadate the parking...there virtually isn't any there (for a large suburban mall).

Also, Judging from the design of the building in the bottom left quadrant of the plan, it appears to be yet another multiplex. AMC was rumored to be building on the site under Copaken's failed plan. A Von Maur on the other end and Scheels in the middle and a P.F. Chang's front and center, but what in the world goes in the rest of this thing? It's bigger than Legends.

It looks exactly like an RED mall....who are building their own mall only a few blocks away at 135th and Nall.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The name is officially One Corbin Park and is scheduled to open in Sept. of 2006. It appears they are envisioning yet another "Plaza of the ____" project complete with ornate towers and such in a pedestrian mall. It looks 100X better than Town Center Plaza so perhaps we could be ridding ourselves of that eyesore and replacing it with something similar to Zona Rosa. I don't care how many people live in Jo Co-- there is not enough retail to go around when you are talking about such a small area. Somebody won't survive.

Cormac's Corbin Park page:
http://www.cormaccompany.com/profile_corbinpark.shtml

Here is the proposed center and an aerial...
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Damn, that looks like a ton of surface parking to me! :(
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

From a story in the Jo Co Sun:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5725&rfi=6
No tenants have been named for the site yet, but Dewhurst said it is likely to have two main anchors, including a 140,000-square-foot department store, and four smaller anchors, which would be specialty stores of about 35,000 square feet.

The project's architect, Scott Slaggie, principal and partner with Jantsch + Slaggie Architects of Kansas City, Mo., said a two-story sporting goods store also is being considered as an anchor.

"We are visiting with some really exciting concepts for large tenants who have not been in the marketplace before," Slaggie said.
Scheels will be the sporting goods store if they choose one. This would also be a good opportunity for Crate and Barrel to enter the market, but that will only happen if this project is an "A mall."
A water feature would start in the center of the site and cascade toward the northwest with a waterfall spilling into a pool near the corner of 135th and Metcalf. Seven or eight upscale restaurants would create an entertainment district at that corner.