City Hall Replacement

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: City Hall Replacement

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:43 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:52 pm If they build a new city hall I can guarantee it’ll be mediocre at best and absolute trash at worst. The existing city hall is a building so lavish and expensive, KC couldn’t have ever even afforded it normally. Turning it into something as mundane as apartments would be like turning the British parliament into a luxury hotel. Strange, unnecessary, and a total shame
I'd take a boring City Hall being built on an empty lot and 1000 new DT residents in the current building any day of the week.
Or just build 1000 apartments on vacant blocks, and leave City Hall as the seat of the municipality. A City Hall building is representative of the city itself. A boring City Hall building would just say we are a boring city that has no appreciation of architecture, grandeur, or history.

Rent out office space in other buildings downtown while City Hall is being renovated. It appears a lot of space is (or will be) available.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

If city hall is abandoned as a government building then the politicians and idiots who decide to do that only deserve to be housed in the soon-to-be-abandoned Jackson county jail.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The goal is people (lots of them) and eliminating empty lots.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:15 am The goal is people (lots of them) and eliminating empty lots.
Which can be done, more effectively, without kicking city hall out of city hall for no reason
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:11 pm I am not proposing the demolition of the existing structures. I am proposing new replacement facilities constructed at a different location (your choice of east village, 18th vine, BOE, etc), government moves out of what is there today, and the old get gutted and refurbished into something else.

We can't keep having expensive bad aid after expensive band-aid. Build all new facilities and turn the old into housing or another use. Power & Light kicked everyone out, was gutted, and turned into a new use. Lets do the same with City Hall.
The choice between (a) expensive bandaids and (b) new facilities is total nonsense. Two totally new governmental buildings and the gut conversion of two office buildings into apartments will not be cheaper than even a phased renovation. It sounds more like a jobs program for developers.

Everyone should reread the BOE thread, where everyone was absolutely sure that the building was unusable and the land is too valuable to sit empty and local developers would be clamoring to build there. None of that happened.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Oh I love City Hall. An amazing structure inside and out. I hope this isn't a silly question and it would certainly not be optimal but could they build an additional structure on the empty KCPS/Library lot?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Karambit25 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:57 pm Oh I love City Hall. An amazing structure inside and out. I hope this isn't a silly question and it would certainly not be optimal but could they build an additional structure on the empty KCPS/Library lot?
Bingo. City Hall is an art deco treasure and needs to remain a public building. As the city grows though, it may need more space and a city hall annex may be justified. I thought the city leased several floors in the Oak Tower. So the city may already need the extra space.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Maybe we just, uh, develop the vacant lots into housing and renovate the gov buildings and leave them as gov buildings? That first part could happen, starting tomorrow, on the BOE lot. There's absolutely no reason to link the two projects and probably increases the chances that we somehow end up with less than we started with.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Didn't see a general City Hall discussion.. so perhaps we can rename this one.. but anyways the garage replacement is well under way at City Hall. Most folks probably didn't realize it, but the entire South Lawn at City Hall is built on top of it's underground garage. The garage was in terrible shape and is being replaced. The city appears to be well aware of the risks these old, neglected garages pose and has been replacing their city owned garages in such shape. Unfortunately, the private sector appears to be evading the microscope when it comes to failing garages. I give it ten years or less before we see a collapse or other major failure in KC. Especially with garages in this kind of condition...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

City Hall garage and Barney Allis Plaza are the first two to see replacement.

On the privately owned side, the garage at 8th and Grand is to be demolished soon. The garage near 13th and Wyandotte was supposed to be demolished for that one office building. I have concerns over the Peck's Plaza garage at 11th and Baltimore. If all three of these can be demoed and replaced with a better usage, things would be better off. I can't think of any other garages in terrible/rough shape around downtown.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is this car park owned by Wall Street condos?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

removed double posted and unrelated pictures to avoid confusion in this thread.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:20 pm City Hall garage and Barney Allis Plaza are the first two to see replacement.

On the privately owned side, the garage at 8th and Grand is to be demolished soon. The garage near 13th and Wyandotte was supposed to be demolished for that one office building. I have concerns over the Peck's Plaza garage at 11th and Baltimore. If all three of these can be demoed and replaced with a better usage, things would be better off. I can't think of any other garages in terrible/rough shape around downtown.
the garage and building at between 8th & 9th on Walnut is in bad shape. Blocked off for years. Still kind of surprised that the Hampton Inn was not offered the garage for their hotel, which would have been a nice way to get it fixed and used. But Honestly the entire North end of downtown from 10th ST to Admiral/7th St from Grand To Walnut is in bad shape in spots and just prime for development. Otherwise dying old buildings, crumbling vacant lots or old parking lots. Would love to see some residential booming happening there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:26 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:20 pm City Hall garage and Barney Allis Plaza are the first two to see replacement.

the garage and building at between 8th & 9th on Walnut is in bad shape. Blocked off for years. Still kind of surprised that the Hampton Inn was not offered the garage for their hotel, which would have been a nice way to get it fixed and used. But Honestly the entire North end of downtown from 10th ST to Admiral/7th St from Grand To Walnut is in bad shape in spots and just prime for development. Otherwise dying old buildings, crumbling vacant lots or old parking lots. Would love to see some residential booming happening there.
viewtopic.php?t=21576
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

thanks for the reminder on that. Count me very, very, skeptical that development proposal goes anywhere. Last post there from March mentioned, predevelop stages with no plan and no financing. I'll be shocked (albeit happily so) if this goes anywhere. Seems if developers don't have cash on hand financing is going to be next to impossible to get. Hope it happens, that end of downtown needs a major boost
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:59 pm thanks for the reminder on that. Count me very, very, skeptical that development proposal goes anywhere. Last post there from March mentioned, predevelop stages with no plan and no financing. I'll be shocked (albeit happily so) if this goes anywhere. Seems if developers don't have cash on hand financing is going to be next to impossible to get. Hope it happens, that end of downtown needs a major boost
Thousands upon thousands of KS and MO suburban apartments are getting financed.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:56 am Is this car park owned by Wall Street condos?
Yes. New thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=21602
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

langosta wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:58 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:59 pm thanks for the reminder on that. Count me very, very, skeptical that development proposal goes anywhere. Last post there from March mentioned, predevelop stages with no plan and no financing. I'll be shocked (albeit happily so) if this goes anywhere. Seems if developers don't have cash on hand financing is going to be next to impossible to get. Hope it happens, that end of downtown needs a major boost
Must be less expensive to build then, as most of the suburban APTs are just slapped together crap for the most part. But you bring up an interesting point. Weird how those developments get greenlit yet a lot of urban development stalls out and goes no where. So it has to be costs for sure and or developers have less hoops to jump through when they build in the suburbs
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:37 am
Must be less expensive to build then, as most of the suburban APTs are just slapped together crap for the most part. But you bring up an interesting point. Weird how those developments get greenlit yet a lot of urban development stalls out and goes no where. So it has to be costs for sure and or developers have less hoops to jump through when they build in the suburbs
Yes costs are lower (rents are too) but the development plans and incentives are getting rubber stamped most of the time. If you propose, it’s generally getting approved and quickly. Not as many battles as is with basically every urban core project but some of the suburban ones do run into hiccups.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:37 am
Very few suburban apartments are getting any form of structured parking, Nearly every urban one does. Massive cost difference.