Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:trailer...I doubt it....many people still love Kauffman and the cost is so much higher than a new arena. Plus people hate Kemper....nobody likes that place.
the immediate and long term ROI on a downtown baseball stadium will far outpace a new arena

kc needs to start with the very basics.......baseball......downtown....sooner than later....before an arena.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

What will this do to KC Live!?
Because the Arena will be another block west between Main & Grand.

But I hope this becomes a reality, however I hope state and city funds will pay for about $173 million which is half of it.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

At this point, all this is nothing more than pipe dreams. Sort of: "if we built a downtown ballpark, where would you put it and how would it look?" there are so many projects for the area between 31st and the river going on at this point that serious talk about a new downtown stadium won't happen for many years. But.... it is a cool idea. I'm still trying to picture a stadium in that space. I know that the paper says there is enough space for the stadium, but I just can't fathom that it is large enough. The value of the Western Auto Lofts would sure skyrocket though, wouldn't they??
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dan I agree but if you have a fully functional stadium, it's much harder to replace than a failing arena.......

I'm fine with both but I'm also fine with just an arena at this point....I'd much rather a new stadium than pouring renovation money into it but w/o Mr. Glass it's nothing anyways, he's the key.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

tat2kc wrote:At this point, all this is nothing more than pipe dreams. Sort of: "if we built a downtown ballpark, where would you put it and how would it look?" there are so many projects for the area between 31st and the river going on at this point that serious talk about a new downtown stadium won't happen for many years. But.... it is a cool idea. I'm still trying to picture a stadium in that space. I know that the paper says there is enough space for the stadium, but I just can't fathom that it is large enough. The value of the Western Auto Lofts would sure skyrocket though, wouldn't they??
tat2...could you imagine a re-creation of sorts of the existing stadium insomuch that there would be an unobstructed full view of downtown KC over the crest of the water fountains in center field? and for those fans sitting in the upper and lower seats along the base lines, they would take be in the shadow of 2345 Grand (30 someodd floors) and the Hyatt (at 40 someodd floors) behind home plate? How cool would it be to be sorrounded by downtown to the north, crown center/midtown to the south and a ton of new loft spaces (warehouse dist/West Auto/etc) immediately around you? Not to mention a newly renovated WW1 memorial just up the hill and union station next door along with the Amtrak station.

This location would be SO cool......it needs to happen.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I don't see this happening till 2006 when the city has more money though. I'm sure they may renovate Kauffman then earn more money, then build a stadium downtown with federal, state, city and private money.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Oh i agree, it would be cool. I especially liked the fact that the concept did not include any parking, but would utilize existing parking facilites. That would force people to walk and see what is in the area!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

if they are going to use existing parking in Crown Center, it must be redesigned....I can't tell you how many traffic jams I've been in that parking garage...built very poorly.

Tat...would you take this as a positive to the crossroads neighborhood? I could see it mainstreaming the area very quickly.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Can anyone imagine people strolling from Westin and the Hyatt toward the ballpark (since their cars are already parked in garages)? That'd make a great shot for ESPN to show. Through the link, across sidewalks, etc... A great idea, but it should be held off so the city can pay for most of it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

and in a location where it's a quick walk to the KC Live development.....I love the location....views of downtown from there would absolutely rock.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Good question, Dan. Since I live just a couple blocks from that site, I'd have very mixed feelings. If more of the mainstream venues stuck to Grand Ave, that would be cool. Grand needs some help for sure. All points west of Grand should be kep for the funky small independent places. Main and Baltimore and Wyandotte are already turning around rapidly and need to retain its charm.

From a development perspective, the Crossroads is already turing around, and it doing so organically. That's different than a planned district like KC live. It certainly does not NEED a big project like a stadium. If we can get KC live off the ground and successful, in 10 years there won't be undeveloped space betweeen the loop and CC to build a stadium. Personally, I'd like to see a project like a stadium on the fringes of an area like the crossroads, or perhaps in a transitional area between developements, like the south loop area.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

What if Jackson County were able to negotiate with the Royals that in lieu of Kauffman Stadium improvements now, they would earmark the $177M to go to a new downtown stadium, to be completed by 2014? The Royals (i.e. Glass) would be expected to contribute at least $50M, with the rest possibly coming from state funds. It would be hard for the Royals to argue that a new stadium isn't an improvement. There was a good column today in the Star about how to raise more money in Missouri, which could theoretically go to a new stadium. And of course Kansas could be asked to pitch in something.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

It would be interesting to hear from folks in Denver, who were already living and working in LoDo both before and after the construction of their baseball stadium. LoDo was already coming back, much like the Crossroads here. The stadium sure added to the revival, but I'd be curious to find out how those folks who were there before the stadium feel about how it impacted their way of living.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I was skeptical on this location at first and still agree with tat about choosing a more offbeat downtown location, but I am becoming a very big fan of this plan. As everyone stated...downtown skyline views, crown center skyline views, Western Auto views. Liberty memorial views, right next to Union Station, short walk to Crossroads/Freighthouse and KC Live...cannot be beat. You could see the game from a room at the Westin!!! Crown Center would need a redesign to deal with pedestrians, but this project could pump up the area. It just seems like it really fits well.

Although most of us on the board would agree with a new arena before a new Royals stadium, many Kansas Citians would see a new Royals stadium as a more attractive project because:
Stadiums are proven economic drivers...numerous expamples nationwide show that people like to live and visit around stadium districts.
New Royals stadium has a big-name tenant, arena does not
A Royals stadium at Union Station is centrally located and easy to access (Commuter rail anyone?)

Everyone can play this off as a "dream" as much as they want, but it is not coincidental that this "dream" made Fox 4 News..people are interested in this. Building stadiums are a very sexy and exciting type of development. And it doesn't hurt that KC media is picking up a lot of stories on the new StL stadium.

I can't wait to see the other plans...
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Also, I'm sure if the arena could bring a new NBA team that the team probably won't fail since alot more money and people will be going into the area.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

trailerkid wrote:
Although most of us on the board would agree with a new arena before a new Royals stadium, many Kansas Citians would see a new Royals stadium as a more attractive project
I'm in the baseball first, arena second camp for some of the reasons that trailer mentioned.

Does anyone know how often an event occurs at an arena? How often does Kemper have something going on? Aside from being a pretty decoration, a new sports structure doesn't do a lot of good when nothing is happening in it. I think that baseball has a more active schedule that would bring more people downtown more often and could better support the area. Combine that with the fact that more development would spring up around our hometown baseball team's facility rather than an arena for "whatever".

One drawback might be that an arena could augment our sell to convention organizers by providing a good venue for larger events. Placing it downtown within closer reach of Bartle would be a huge help. How often does Kemper come into play for these events?

Personally, I think the K needs to move before Kemper does. The West Bottoms COULD become something. Everyone cites the construction of Kemper down there as a major mistake, but perhaps it was an effort to revitalize the area. If arenas do such a good job of revitalization, why isn't it happening down there?

The West Bottoms has serious charm and potential. The sports complex does not. I'd like to see the areas unified a bit more. I think it is only a matter of time until the bottoms are discovered as the trend turns to urban neighborhoods.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

We decided to put the Truman Sports Complex where it is, and that is decision we have to live with. Most people agree that the next stadium should go downtown, but we won't need a new stadium for another 30 years. Kauffman is in excellent shape and only needs modest improvements to stay viable.

There are many other things that should be higher priorities than replacing a perfectly good stadium, like a new arena, basic infrastructure, a new Missouri River bridge, mass transit, etc.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

i disagree, I don't really like Kauffman as much as I am envisioning a new arena downtown. Imagine the MONEY the city will get for having it at Crown Center and Downtown! I would especially rather have a stadium downtown than a stadium in the middle of (almost) nowhere. You can barely see the skyline. It'd also benefit the Royals for one, because with much more money coming to the city, the city would probably fund them more.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm sorry, but it is incredible thinking about the PAC, Bartle expansion/renovation, H&R Block, KC Live!, a new arena, and a new ROYALS STADIUM at CC/Union Station. Wow!

Hallmark should pony up a lot of the money for a new Royals Stadium there as it would drastically increase the value and prestige of their complex.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Yes it is, KC is doing TONS better than I had ever imagined. I'm sure we will enter the top 5 largest cities in the midwest at least a few years before I had thought.